Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Bali Hai 50th Anniversary

Pages: 1 7 replies

From the San Diego Union-Tribune North County Dining Around 2 Oct 2003, p. NC-6:

Bali Hai's 50th Anniversary Means '50s Prices!

Throughout October, the landmark Bali Hai restaurant on Shelter Island will present a wonderful anniversary special, rolling back to 1953 the prices on select, famous signature items. One person at each table of 2 or more will enjoy incredible savings. More delicious details on this later in the article. First, a bit of history: the Bali Hai concept was originated by the late Tom Ham a half century ago and it has been in his family ever since. Now operated by his daughter, Susan, and her husband, Larry Baumann ( with help from their children Grant, Andy, Tom, & Jessica), the Bali Hai is enjoying its best year ever! Solidly woven into the fabric of the community, many generations of San Dieganshave come to the Bali Hai, with its romantic waterfront views, to start romances - many of which eventually end up with a wedding held on the Bali Hai grounds. In fact, weddings represent a major part of the Bali Hai's business.

Bali Hai is ideal for any group banquet, party, reception, wedding or any other event. The banquet facilities are large, the setting is perfect and there is plenty of free parking. But, first and formost, the Bali Hai is a restaurant from a classic era, offering diners a timeless, exotic, Polynesian atmosphere enhanced by wicker furnishings, tikis, tropical arifacts, fresh orchids and other south seas decor.

The menu is fantastic, as well, and the view of San Diego Bay and Point Loma is the coup de gras that makes the entire experience unforgettable.

Now, back to the 50th anniversary special. The Dinner special is offered throughout this month every Sunday through Thursday. At each booked table (min. 2 persons), one person can order from the select anniversary dinners at the 1953 price. Those select entrees are the famous Chicken of the Gods, an all time house favorite, consisting of marinaded chicken breast, breaded & serverd with tangy orange and light cream sauce (regular price, $13.95; special '53 price, only $3.95); Oyster Beef, another favorite made with slices of beef and mushrooms, seasoned & simmered in a tasty oyster sauce (also $3.95; regularly $13.95); and the sensasional, Sweet & Sour Tempura Chicken for only $2.95 (regularly $12.95). The other folks at your table can order anything at the current regular price, including delectables such as Ginger Scallops, Chicken Cashew, Salmon Wellington, the Island Sampler (a combo of Seared Ahi, Atlantic Salmon, and Macadamia Nut Mahi Mahi), Baby Back Ribs, Kapahulu Steak or the terrific Coconut Shrimp. No meal at the Bali Hai would be complete without one of their renowned Mai Tais. Also ask about their souveneir tiki mugs. Congrats to the Baumann family for making it to this milestone anniversary. Book your table at the Bali Hai 2230 Shelter Island Drive, by calling 619.222.1181.

...mmmmm Mai Tai.

but they cut you off after 5 Mai Tais!

But they're really strong Mai Tai's! I'm quite happy after 5... Maybe you could switch to Mr. Bali Hai's after 4 Mai Tai's?

...or suffering bastards! Although not on the drink menu, the Sunday bartender managed to whip me up one & it was perfect. A creative, talented & dedicated bar staff is a joy to find, especially in an establishment as beloved and revered as the Bali Hai. She deserves no less.

T

On 2003-10-09 00:01, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
...or suffering bastards! Although not on the drink menu, the Sunday bartender managed to whip me up one & it was perfect. A creative, talented & dedicated bar staff is a joy to find, especially in an establishment as beloved and revered as the Bali Hai. She deserves no less.

They must have improved since I last drank there (last December). The day I was there (I don't think it was on a Sunday) the young dudes working the bar seemed to care less about the drinks. I'll be staying at Humphrey's on October 13-16 with some friends (following a wedding in Baja) so you may see us at the Bali Hai. Or at the Red Fox Room or Albie's Beef Inn or the Islands or Pacific Shores...

The last time that I was there, I didn't think the drinks were very good either. I think it depends on who the bartender is.

When I saw our bartender pouring, it didn't look like he really knew what was going on. The drinks didn't taste like he knew what was going on either.

The mai tai was alright but the Navy Grog and the Zombie both tasted like lighter fluid. Of course, you can expect a different experience with each trip. The first time I ever went to the Bali Hai, everything was perfect.

I made it down to Bali Hai this past weekend. While there, I was sure to sample a few Mai Tais (simply for research, of course) and in my humble opinion, they are still tip top. You care correct though Lucky, the right bar tender makes all the difference.

Pages: 1 7 replies