Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Palm Springs Modern

Pages: 1 6 replies

I've been watching the blues series on PBS this week, when last night after the show got over there was a 1/2 hour piece on after "Red, White & Blues" about Palm Springs consignment shops. The furniture shown was '50's & early '60's stuff in great condition for pretty cheap prices. Has anybody out there in SoCal checked out these places...or was this just a teaser? The host of the show (also a buyer) suggested a new renaissance was in progress in Palm Springs for the modernist style that is so prevelant there and has remained dormant & unappreciated for all these years since the "rat pack" heyday. People from all parts of the planet are scrambling to scarf up P.S. houses & and the stuff that used to inhabit them.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-10-05 00:40 ]

Been watching this too. I saw a rebroadcast (saw it about a year ago too) of an old Stevie Ray Vaughn concert at Austin City Limits. Damn, what a talent. And he says he thinks his brother is a better guitarist than him!

T

There are loads of shops in Palm Springs with mid-century modern furniture and stuff. Prices aren't cheap but in some stores they're less than one would find in San Diego or LA. There are also several motels with mid-century modern decor but they are pretty pricey (well over $100/night). There's even an entire 1950s house filled with modern funiture that can be rented for short stays!

T

Modern house prices are still fairly reasonable compared to Bay Area and Southern Cal. prices. I saw an 1950s Alexander 2 bedroom condo for sale for under $200K. It was single story with a zig-zag roof, carport, and only two units per building.

C

I'd say that hosts description is accurate. I've made a few trips to Palm Springs in the last two years for modernist furniture, tiki and Shag related reasons, and it's terrific to see what's going on there. My last trip was to pick up a really cool palm frond fixture whose image I can't seem to get to show up!!!

The seller's home was in a classic modernist subdivision, which included polynesian inspired homes.

Lisa Lisa

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2003-10-05 12:48 ]

If you're into 1950s and 1960s Modern - check out the Lotta Living board. There are several folks over there who know all about the Palm Spring Modern Rennaissance. P.S. Homes for sale get listed there regularly in our Residential forum. http://www.lottaliving.com/bb
Also go to http://www.psmodcom.org

I don't know about collectible prices being cheap though? They're still cheap here in Vegas, but P.S. has L.A. prices for the most part due to the large mod-savvy hip and growing population there.

Thanks for the link. The psmodcom sight is very informative...cool map too.

Pages: 1 6 replies