Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What's The Most Common Mug?

Pages: 1 12 replies

Seems like most of us run in to certain mugs over and over again in our respective "necks-of-the-woods." I know the new Tiki Quest books makes the comment about the Tiki Leilani Mug being so common that is is often maligned by collectors but I have the same feelings about the OMC "Peanut-Style" and the OMC Harvey's Rum Barrel Mugs. I seem to run into more of these here in Las Vegas than anything else. Here's a picture of the two:

[ Edited by: vegastikidude on 2003-10-06 14:10 ]

O

i would have to agree about those to. one of my first tiki treasure hunt landed me in oregon at a shop where i picked up 8 of the harveys and 6 peanuts(of the varying colors) for a quarter a peice. the leilani seems to be everywhere, in mass abundance. it has been duped a couple of times as well making their population out of control. i would say next up would have to be westwood small handled multi color mugs. i've seen them a lot of places in los angeles. an interesting one that i have picked up at a thrift shop, went back, and there seemed to be plenty more of them, is the white tower isle jamaica mug. though not necessarily tiki, it is a standard ceramic tumbler that served some exotic potions. ive got armfuls of them

T

I have the most Leilanis... maybe 5 or 6
Necxt most common in my collection is Sheckys (cause I got 5 for designing him - woohoo)
I have 4 Kahiki mugs (from drinking there)
And quite a few of those small westwood ones.
Oh wait - The most common? The Walt Disney World frosted ones. I don't know why I still bother, except they make good candle holders! They are heavy and don't really match the other mugs...

Yep, them Harvey's buckets are pretty common. But they do make for a great everyday use glass.
'Round these parts, the Benihana buddahs, geishas, and bears with big, umm, "equipment" are a dime-a-dozen. Well not really a dime, but ya can't throw a stone and not break one of the damn things. But I guess they're not really tiki though...
Aloha
:tiki:

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2003 4:17 PM

In my experience, these are some of the most common. Also add the wooden coffee mug with the big open mouth that often says HAWAII in it.

Of these, the green Orchids in the middle is the one I see all the time, and every size and color of the clear one.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2003-10-06 16:18 ]

T

Hey Swanky,
If you have extras of those "common" Hawaiian Inn paddlelickers, let me know and I'll trade you for something you need.

~ tikigreg

[ Edited by: tikigreg on 2003-10-06 17:51 ]

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2003 7:08 PM

Greg,
I'll try to remember to buy the next ones I see in a thrift store or whereever. We usually just pass on them.

T

Muchos gracias Swanky!

F

I'd have to say:

Leilanis
Peanut mugs
and 3face buckets (common style)

What is not common is the leilanis in the original box, which is the ones I kept for my display

This is the most UNrarest tiki antique mug you can find, and yet, it is still way COOL!!
Trader Vics pumped these out like tanks and planes of WWII. Fortunately, there are no records of a massacre by these mugs, like the rest of the following wars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3246058313&category=570

I seem to remember the bunch on Gilligan's Island drinking from these, don't you?

DZ

On 2003-10-06 20:14, fatuhiva wrote:
I'd have to say:

Leilanis
Peanut mugs
and 3face buckets (common style)

Indeed, the OMC "3-Face" is a common style: I have 3-face mugs from 23 DIFFERENT locations, making it (to the best of my knowledge) the most popular style with some of the rarest pieces!

I would say that the flat black "The Tikis" moai is the one I come across the most.

(BTW: if anyone has any 3-Faces that they'd be interested in trading - if I don't have it already - e-mail me directly!)

Doc, why don't you flow some of those flat black "The Tikis" moais over this way. I don't think I've ever seen one out here in the wild. Of course I did most of my real hunting and collecting up north. I'm gonna have to follow you and Sabu one of these days on your estate sale marathons.

Pages: 1 12 replies