Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

testing the waters: Vancouver's Waldorf, early '04?

Pages: 1 14 replies

E

Aloha all:

A friend would very much like to put together something at the Waldorf's Menehune Banquet Room (http://home.earthlink.net/~tikibars/tiki/polyroom.html - pg. 226 of Tiki Road Trip), most likely late Jan. - early Feb. This would include live Polynesian entertaiment, full bar, pupus, and of course great photo ops.

He needs an injection of confidence that he can get the 120 bodies needed so that he won't take a bath to the tune of $2K. If it goes well, he would like to do it again using all the rooms including the Tahitian Lounge and Polynesian Room. My feeling is that there should be no problem getting the little event to be a success with strictly local promotion, so my question is: how many TCers would travel for the Big One that would give access to all the lounges?

Feel free to email me if you like.

mahalo,
emspace.

P.S. much as I dig it, this really wasn't my idea!

Don't know about that, but I'll be up in Vancouver for the holidays this year (snowboarding Whistler hopefully) Is there any other Tiki joints in BC? I've spent many drunken nights in the gas lamp but haven't been back for a few years. My Mum lives in the San Juans, so not to much of a drive to get up to the city. Any good parties? Wes

E

Hi shakatiki,

the only other thing I know of (and bear in mind the Waldrof rooms aren't even open most of the time, this would be a special event which the management describes as being the first of it's kind since the '60s) would be Lum's Polynesian in Victoria. I haven't been yet, but probably this winter I'll make it over.

em

BC is a bit far for us, but I would love to go to tiki party there. Maybe some of the west coasters would be able to make it. I talked the manager into giving me a tour a year ago and was completely blown away by what was inside. It's like a Leeteg art gallery inside a split-level tiki club.
Good luck.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-10-08 09:23 ]

T
thejab posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2003 1:32 PM

I have been wanting to visit that place for years. Count me in! I can think of at least 2 friends who wouldn't miss it either.

That's exciting news. I'm there for the big event, maybe for the small one too. You have a guest bedroom, emspace?

PS. Been meaning to tell you about this for awhile -- Waldorf sighted in a movie: several scenes in the Vancouver-made movie "The Widower" are set in the polynesian rooms of the Waldorf. Warning: it's a horrible, horrible movie that made me want to pluck my eyes out after about 5 minutes, but if you must see it, you can probably rent it at Rogers (it's part of the "First Rites" series of independent features by first-time directors that they were involved in). Besides the Waldorf, it has cameos by Jello Biafra and Narduwar the Human Serviette.

E

SDT, we have a 2-br. condo, alas. Might could put you up with my braddah Matt. Love yer new sig. BTW!

:)
em

I really like the sounds of this. I can't promise anything, but I'll put in a definate "perhaps".

Hey Emspace, speaking of Lum's Polynesian... I was just in Victoria last month and was hoping to see Lum's first hand. Alas, it was not to be. They were closed for renovations. The full page advert in the phone book had absolutely no hint of tiki. It looked more like a typical Chinese food menu.

It makes one take pause...

-Slacks

H

I would be very interested in an event, especially if all rooms were accessible. Everything I've heard about the Polynesian rooms at the Waldorf is fantastic.

E

Thanks all for responses. Slacks, I wonder if the renovations are going to REMOVE any trace of "Polynesian" that could be in there - gulp! The name might have been meaningless all along though, who knows?

em.

I'll be living in Seattle, so count me in.

Aloha all,

I'm all over attending a Tiki event at the Waldorf. I've always wanted to check it out, but didn't know how to get into the joint!

I'm over in Victoria, but if anyone is interested in the event, I could always lend out my guest room and we could all head over together. Victoria is a great place to check out, and up by the ferry over to the mainland is the old Trader Vic's from Vancouver. A few years back someone had it barged over to the island. I'm not sure exactly where it's hiding, but have always wanted to do a little treasure hunting so to speak.

I had a peek through the windows of Lum's a couple of weeks ago, what a scummy looking joint! Definitely something to not make a trip out for. I'll keep you posted if it re-opens or sports anything even remotely Tiki.

At least 10 years ago there was a fantastic Restaurant in Victoria called the Kon Tiki. My parents told me a bit about it, but I haven't been able to find any information on it yet. Anyone heard of the place?

-Tikwahine

M

I'd fly up their for the weekend from the San Francisco area for it! Especially if the event is for a Saturday night it would make it easier for us out of towners.
The most advance notice the better so us world travelers can can advantage of cheap flights.
Do U.S. citizens need passports to visit?? The last time I was in Vancouver I was about seven years old and I had French Toast for the first time!!! YUM>

if we have enough advance notice - we'd love to come. i believe the airfares are usually less around jan/feb? plus we have family we'd love to visit in West Minister, so bring on the event...

I believe you only need some ID(driver's license) and a birth certificate to come up to Canada. That's all I really need to go to the US, but Washington DC is another story, much tighter security in and out of there.
-Tikiwahine

Pages: 1 14 replies