Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Disney Tiki Anniversary Mugs- Are yours cracking?!?!

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hi Everyone!! Long time lurker to this great forum. Just started collecting all things Tiki last year. Began when I started converting my patio into a Tiki shrine where friends and family could get together and lounge away under the California sun. One thing led to another, next thing I knew, all things Tiki began to seep into my house! Clashing with my wife's Paul Frank collection!!!! :)

I was lucky enough to buy one of the Disney Tiki anniverary mugs (along with a nice shirt!). Unfortunately the mug cracked while sitting on my bookshelf. During the past few days I've managed to contact a few other people whom I knew bought the mugs (combination of Disneyanas, Shagsters, and Tiki friends). Many have also had their mugs crack while being displayed. Is it possible that this is a manufacturing defect? What I once thought was a single incident seems to be more prevalent than I thought. I've contacted Disney, they will only refund my money, but I want this priceless mug replaced! And god forbid, I don't want to pay the prices on ebay for another mug!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else have a similar problem? My coworker says it may have something to do with the baking/cooling process, but I don't know enough about ceramics.

One other thing, the cracks that have been described to me seem to be the same as mine, one long vertical crack, top to bottom.

[ Edited by: SpaceTikiMonkey on 2003-10-08 09:40 ]

T

Yikes!

M

Ask Holden at Tikifarm about this problem. His company manufactured them. He is smog breather on our forum.

hey Space,

Is the hairline crack holding or does it feel like it wants to become the next grand canyon? This is really scary. How many total friends of yours experienced this?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

P
Prince posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2003 9:22 PM

The exact thing happened to one of my mugs. It was sitting on my desk and I actually heard it crack. It is a long crack that starts at the top and goes all the way down to the base. I have a feeling this is a manufacturing defect. These mugs were rushed and that's why 70 of the goblet didn't make it to the Disneyana store. I am very sad about my mug and I hope this doesn't happen to the other one. I would post a picture, but I don't know if this forums supports/allows pictures.

K

Here you go Prince (I love your 'Raspberry Beret' by the way)

http://www.tikicentral.com/faq.php#embed

I just checked my mugs(the ones I have displayed) and they seem ok. I have a few still sealed in packaging and hiding out in a cabinet. I was supposed to receive one more in the mail from Disney. I hope it doesn't come destroyed.

Of course where I am displaying these mugs... the slightest shake and they are toast.

MMatt,
How'd you get so many??

Hello All
I also just discovered my pole mug has cracked vertically . I email Holden at Tiki Farm and he is sending me a UPS call tag and it will be replaced. I suggest if anyone has the same problem to email Tiki Farm

Good Luck

I had been told that with the two different glazes, there was a drying time/cooling time differential that stressed the ceramic and there were some immediate cracks, but it was not supposed to happen later.

Sorry to hear about yours. Holden is ultra-cool, I bet it'll turn out OK.

Yay!!! Holden to the rescue!

P

I emailed Holden and he said he would replace the mugs for me. I sent them back on Monday and I'll probably give him a call next week. They must be pretty busy with their Shag Hotwheel sets right now. Holden sounded very friendly in the email.

P

On 2003-10-11 10:09, Maui_Matt wrote:
I just checked my mugs(the ones I have displayed) and they seem ok. I have a few still sealed in packaging and hiding out in a cabinet. I was supposed to receive one more in the mail from Disney. I hope it doesn't come destroyed.

Of course where I am displaying these mugs... the slightest shake and they are toast.

If you ordered mugs from Disneyana, they will come directly from Tikifarm. I ordered 2 goblets and received them last week.

Pages: 1 12 replies