Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Rain's amazing tiki art

Pages: 1 37 replies

Rain is moving his server, so I'm editing this post. He's only got one painting up but promises to have more once the new server is ready.

Seriously -- commission something from him now before his prices go through the roof. Of all the tiki art I have in my office (including Shag and Mark Ryden), Rain's gets the biggest response.

Okay, enough cheerleading from me.

[ Edited by: TheMuggler on 2004-01-14 22:55 ]

M

me likey!

That's good stuff!

Rain did the portraits of Lono and Kahona over at the Tiki Gardens Memorial, and I've got a few of his other works, black velvet tiki painting, Moai in the sunset on board ( in fact I think its the one under "organinc Maois" the one in the middle), and a couple drawings.

Once he surfaces from his school duties, I hope he'll paint a few more, some for me and some so people can own some of this great tiki artists stuff.

TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

[ Edited by: TikiGardener on 2003-10-11 02:03 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2003 1:08 AM

another artisit I gotta add to my get list

R
Rain posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2003 12:26 PM

woah, thanks to muggler for posting this. i had no idea the creating tiki forum existed. where have i been?

[ Edited by: Rain on 2004-01-15 21:53 ]

R
Rain posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2003 12:46 PM

[ Edited by: Rain on 2004-01-15 21:52 ]

Ill-fated? Failed? Why?

R
Rain posted on Sat, Oct 18, 2003 1:55 PM

lack of mold-making know-how.
maybe in the future!

HEY HOLDEN!!! Cut this kid a deal!!!

Rain mugs by Tiki Farm... I'd buy one.

Good to see ya again Mr Rain....

TG

R
Rain posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 12:58 PM

hiya tg :)
hope you're well.
love those flounder paintings you had done - he's f'in great! we have a suitcase that he painted.

i have part of an oil painting to scan and post here later...

I love the lighting & bg in the pictures of the mug prototypes. Have you tried searching http://www.provlib.org for books on slip casting?

... Sorry, I just checked & answered my own question. Try Lindsay Books: http://www.lindsaybks.com , I remember they used to have a book on plaster casting. I can't see any difference in plaster casting versus slip casting, except the fineness & kilning of the slipcast piece when finished.

R
Rain posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 1:59 PM

i understand (in theory, anyway) the slipcasting process - it was making the molds i had trouble with. one sculpt ended up half embedded in a block of plaster, never to emerge, while its other half came clean off. trying a different route, i destroyed the other sculpt removing the latex (which wouldn't have worked for slipcasting anyway, as far as i know now). thanks for the pointers, though, ff - i may check out those leads when i get some free time to try again.
r

On 2003-10-19 22:43, TikiGardener wrote:

TG

... feelin' the "Rain Tiki Love" here to Gardener. Think you're right!

Holden

On 2003-10-20 23:38, smogbreather wrote:

On 2003-10-19 22:43, TikiGardener wrote:

TG

... feelin' the "Rain Tiki Love" here to Gardener. Think you're right!

Holden

woohooooo!!!

me first in line!!!

seriously, iffin' ya work sumthin out, it'd be great. the kids got talent.
TG

R
Rain posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2003 3:01 PM

man, you guys would make a great PR group.
i'd be thrilled to actually do a real mug. bk's hale tiki mug is looking great - i'm jealous.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2003 3:01 PM

hey muggler - did you ever get a photo of the family portrait?

On 2003-10-21 15:01, Rain wrote:
hey muggler - did you ever get a photo of the family portrait?

Yes, but I took the stills with my video camera and the lighting was awful so they came out crappy. In person the painting looks great, and the differences between light and dark areas are more subtle than the photo. Also, the whole piece is darker than it appears in these photos. I'll try to take a decent picture of it next week.

and a detail:

My wife gave me this "family portrait" for Father's Day. It now hangs in my office, which is slowly being tiki'd out. I'll post pics of the whole office when I'm done.

Just pimpin'

[ Edited by: TheMuggler on 2003-10-21 20:06 ]

R
Rain posted on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 12:31 AM

yoink

[ Edited by: rain on 2003-12-19 06:19 ]

R
Rain posted on Fri, Dec 19, 2003 6:20 AM

mary axe ms.

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2004 12:47 PM

So I decided to try out this Cafe Shops thing and support mindless consumerism. Unfortunately, with the free shop, you can only have one of each type of item - meaning only one white tshirt, one grey tshirt, etc... But I'm willing to try it out. I've only got like 3 or 4 tiki things on it right now, but if anyone wants to check it out, it is:
http://cafeshops.com/amagumopress :)

Rain,

With Cafe Press, you can have more than one "shop" controlled from your control panel. So create a shop for each peice of art you have. That's what I did.

~Hanford

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2004 3:38 PM

On 2004-01-13 14:44, hanford_lemoore wrote:
...That's what I did.

ahhhhh... crafty! thanks - i may try that.

S
SES posted on Tue, Jan 13, 2004 7:22 PM

You can list them like this to get them to ALL show on one page:

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=shop,shop1,shop2,shop3,shop4,shop5,shop6,shop7,shop8,shop9

B

How come all I see is little boxes with a red X in them?

R
Rain posted on Wed, Jan 14, 2004 7:55 PM

thanks, SES.
Benzart - I recently switched web hosts and ditched my old website, so all those links are now dead. i will get some stuff back up soon. (hopefully better than that old crap, too.)

B

ant wait,,Hurry up already.

well???
Thnx Benzart

K

nice...super nice...

Rain...what is your medium of choice?

sadly i can only see the first image on this thread...but i am diggin it...beautiful!

R
Rain posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 2:33 PM

benzart - see the first post in this thread - link added. more to come tonight and tomorrow, i promise.

k - i use acrylic almost exclusively. i did a still life with a mug from the mai kai today in oils, but i have much better control with the acrylics.

more old crap:

[ Edited by: rain on 2004-01-16 09:07 ]

R
Rain posted on Thu, Jan 15, 2004 9:50 PM

benzart - sorry to read about your back troubles - can't wait til your hands get back to work carving!
here is some old crap:

(i tried to even out some really bad photography with photoshop - some of the effects might be a little obvious.)

R
Rain posted on Tue, Jan 20, 2004 10:32 PM

digital sketch for new painting (was supposed to be homework due at 1pm tomorrow - not bloody likely):

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 10:55 AM

3"x5" each

C

Rain, Those are bitchin' What a cool series. The majestic sushi radiating pure wasabi tiki soul. Tasty.
Chongolio

R
Rain posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 9:31 PM

thanks, man. very cool site you have, by the way - i'm trying to come up with something cool for my own. i may try to work in the whole sushi/tiki thing. who knows.

On 2004-02-02 21:31, Rain wrote:
thanks, man. very cool site you have, by the way - i'm trying to come up with something cool for my own. i may try to work in the whole sushi/tiki thing. who knows.

Thanks Rain for the compliment on my site. My apologize for the late repy. Have you started any more paintings for the sushi series?

Chongolio

R
Rain posted on Sat, Feb 21, 2004 12:18 PM

no, but i did some like those last year as well. i have to find photos of them if i can. there will be more to come as soon as i can pry my ass away from the computer for a few minutes.
i did some vector art sushi stuff for the site http://www.rain-art.com/main.html and for tshirts at cafe shops: http://cafeshops.com/amagumopress
:D

On 2004-02-02 10:55, Rain wrote:

3"x5" each

3 inch? x 5inch? each? I see 3'ft. x 5'ft. easy!! Dig it man! In some hip ass sushi joint in Hollyweird. Any designer lurkers out there?? Rain-rocks!!!

P

bump.

After having met Rain at Ohana, I looked up this original post where the Muggler (Whom we haven't heard from in quite some time now) first introduced many of us to Rain's work.

I don't think he's been painting much the last few years, at least I kind of remember that from the conversation. It WAS the last room at the room crawl... so...

Anyway - I had forgotten some of these and wanted to remind myself - and some of you - about Rain.

Pages: 1 37 replies