Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

swizzle sticks

Pages: 1 9 replies

I have (from the Beachcomber Restaurant, Edmonton, AB, Canada ((closed 1980))) 100 unused swizzles. There are 50 green and 50 red. They are semi opaique (sp) and about 5-1/2" in length. I can send a scanned image of them to potential buyers (fellow Tikians whom are seeking professional help for their South Pacific enigmatism). e-mail [email protected]

T

Oh no, here we go again!

Wait...if you're the seller running all of the Beachcomber items on E-bay then I've been watching your auctions.....What else do you have in the line of the actual tikis from the Beachcomber? Any of larger size? I might be a buyer for some for straight cash.

E

The Beachcomber, the Beachcomber...my childhood Tiki restaurant. Yeah BK, I've been watching those auctions too, and they're getting scooped up by people who must have five times as much discretionary Tiki money as me - I haven't gotten squat.

One nice thing about the swizzles, you can tell they're from the Beachcomber - which cannot be said of the mugs in those auctions. Here's the dope: the person auctioning all this stuff attended the estate sale of Zane Feldman, owner of the Beahcomber. Both SweetDaddyTiki and I have petitioned her separately (though cooperatively) to see if she'd be willing to part with even a few items privately to us knowers and lovers of the Beachcomber. No. Fugeddaboudit. This put me in high dudgeon, since I know I will never be able to spend that kinda eBay money. The thing though is this: those mugs as far as I know have no definitive provenance, and do in fact NOT resemble the ones in the menu. And I am here to tell the world: if I find out they are simply being pulled from Zane Feldman's personal collection and added to menus and called "Beachcomber mugs" - the excrement will make contact with the cooling device, and no lie.

a very frustrated
emspace.

Does get one thinking...

UB

I have collected some tiki menus, but I'm not this eccentric.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3245567172&category=2001&rd=1

E

The prices this stuff has been selling for have been, I'm sorry, wack. The Beachcomber was unheard of outside Edmonton till SDT posted it in "Finding Tiki" - no I retract that, fartsatune did her pics of the menu she gave me (GAVE me - love ya farts!). I guess anything Tiki - and it was a great place - can now command 3-figure prices. Just can't get used to it is all.

Anyway, maybe everything she's auctioning really was used at the Beachcomber. And apologies to SDT - his correspondnce to her was on another matter. Sour grapes are going to turn me into a crabby paranoid bastid, so I have quit looking at her auctions altogether. Good luck to her and her customers.

aloha,
emspace.

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 4:05 AM

HO!! $*&# 230.00 dollars!!! I would rather give that money to Leroy Schmaltz fo somting nice.

If you haven't noticed, tiki drink and restaurant menus have been going for absurdly high prices for some time now. Anything remotely interesting is easily over $100.
I'm waiting for the Book of Tiki Bar Menus to be announced on TC any day now. (That's a prediction, not a fact.)
For the record, I bought my monkeypod wahine tiki from the Beachcomber seller for something like $50 -- which I thought was pretty good. I didn't even stick around for the mug auctions 'cause I knew the prices would be insane.
Someone once said tiki could end up being the next beenie-baby, and I think there is some truth to that. Be carefull what you invest your kids' college fund in folks.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-10-14 14:16 ]

E

Starting to happen with Coco Joes too Geoff - I paid $17.50 for a small HIP Originals in a thrift here in Vancouver the other day! Yowch! that's $13 US folks...

em

Pages: 1 9 replies