Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bar-warming gifts

Pages: 1 15 replies

What would be the top three ideal gifts for a brand new home bar?

S
SES posted on Sat, Oct 11, 2003 7:10 PM

Booze
glasses
napkins

J
JTD posted on Sun, Oct 12, 2003 9:46 AM

PJ,

In addition to numbers 1+2 above, I'd recommend the shaker/jigger/tongs etc. tool set. Williams-Sonoma et al. carry nice ones.

-JTD

[ Edited by: JTD on 2003-10-12 09:47 ]

A couple of nice artsy martini glasses.

One of those plastic dodads for rimming glasses with sugar or salt, nobody ever thinks to buy them, but they do come in handy. I never use salt, but like to rim several martinis with flavored sugar.

Progressive religion: http://universist.meetup.com

out of the ordinary mixtures,
cool background light fixture,
napkins/stirrers

A new liver!

A new liver!

Box or gift bag?

unless you know the taste of the individual bartender and what tools they already have, there is nothing like a bottle of 'the good stuff.' you know, the stuff you covet at the liquor store, but might feel a bit guilty buying for yourself.

persoanlly i say avoid obscure stuff that ends up at the back of the liquor cabinet - and stick to the mainstream acohol (rum, vodka, gin, or maybe some good cognac) that your friends will enjoy making their old favorites with.

T

Don't get them the penis shaped ice cube tray. The chilly willies melt too fast and water down your drink!

I tell ya what... The one thing that I appreciate in my own bar above and beyond all other items (and it was not a gift but something I bought for myself) is my Ice Crusher. I got one of the Electric Rival Ice-O-Matics (as recommended by someone in Tiki Central) on ebay and have never been disappointed. It is a thing of Perfection in an otherwise Imperfect world.

Worth the price at whatever it may be (don't pay more than $20 for it, though).

a cool novelty item I saw in the AFTER 5 catalog: an ice mold that makes shot glasses. I'm kinda tempted to pick one up myself.

-Z

Three words: Top shelf booze.

TB

keg-o-rator would be cool.

A matching set of genuine Third Reich swizzle sticks...actually, Tiki Farm has some really cool frosted bar glasses out(come in sets of four). I just picked up the double old-fashioned 4-pack the other day. Still breakin' em in.

H

Depends on the personality of the bar owner. Me, I'm very particular, and if I haven't already bought something for my bar, it may very well be because I didn't want it. So, unless you're planning on shelling out for some sort of sure-fire, one-of-a-kind item, like a cool old tiki, I say stick with consumables (read: primo rum!). At least, if you're buying a gift for someone like me. :)

What would be the top three ideal gifts for a brand new home bar?

Well it the gift is coming from a Tiki Central member I'd have to say -

#1 - A SOLID Tiki Drink Recipe Book - (second choice a copy of the 1949 Esquire's Handbook for Hosts via Ebay). If you're his/her main Tiki Friend they'll appreciate your contribution.

#2 - A nice cutting board and knife. It helps when you're making fresh margarita's or need it for putting limes into a Vodka Tonic.

#3 - A gift certificate to a Quality Specialty liquor store. Most likely the owner will have you over to sample the purchase...the gift that will give back.

T.B.

Pages: 1 15 replies