Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kava Bowl

Pages: 1 7 replies

I picked up this Kava Bowl from my friend KC Heylin a couple of weeks ago. It was owned by the founder of TEPCO - John Pagliero.

Underneath the base is etched "2/7/43" and "John and Mary Jo Pagliero". Mary Jo was John's wife.

Front Side - note 'MJP' for Mary Jo Pagliero.

Back Side of Kava Bowl.

Antone was John's son and handled the business end of TEPCO. John continued to do the hands on work almost up until his death at age 85 in 1968 - the same year TEPCO ceased operations.

I consider this bowl unique in that their is no duplicate. It was created by John for his wife Mary Jo, and is one of a kind.

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-12 19:39 ]

T

That is super cool Bong. Good for you.

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 3:42 AM

Eh, howzit Kevin,
how'd ya get em? was it that great tiki hunter in your tribe?(your wahine)

I'd have to say you have a monster in your hands....that's up there with the Stratavari of the tiki collecting world. Great, great find.

Gecko,

We acquired it from KC, who purchased it from a antiques dealer up in the bay area, who purchased it from the Pagliero estate sale.

The antique dealer that purchased it from the estate sale knew he had something, but not quite what.

KC is a very knowledgeable collector of Hawaiian art and ceramic pieces. Anyone familiar with Mark Blackburn's books on Hawaiiana has seen KC's pieces in those books.

Bong,
You are STOKED!!! Wow.
Aloha,
:tiki:

This puppy seems to be the prototype of the Trader Vic's Kava Bowl. You can find a rendering of it in Trader Vic's 1947 "Bartender's guide" on page 18. The copies alone are very hard to find, so this one of a kind is indeed a rare vessel. Put it in an earthquake safe display case, with a laser grid alarm system protecting it from the Tepco collectors.

Aaaww, I say put it up on e-bay and get yourself a new Cadillac.

Pages: 1 7 replies