Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What is the best Moai mug?

Pages: 1 14 replies

Being here in the UK the Tiki 'scene' is small to say the least. Getting hold of MOST collectable items involves ebay or buying from the USA and getting goods shipped over, which obviously costs more (no tiki mugs in our thrift stores!). As a consequence I have a couple of mugs but buying them isn't cheap so I have to be selective in what I buy. Having a great interest in Easter Island (what TC-er doesn't?), I would like to get a Moai mug. So my question to you is, What is the best Moai mug? (It doesn't matter if it's vintage or new).

T

I guess the best is whichever pleases you most. if you're looking for the most collectible, probably the Hoffman Kahiki moai used for the Headhunter drink fits the bill. But be prepared to shell out a few pounds! If you're looking for a classic moai style, then the matte black mug from The Tikis in Monterrey Park is good, and not too expensive to obtain.

Cheers TikiGreg, I'm just looking for the one's that LOOK cool. Not worried if they're particularly collectable or not. Just love the shape and style of Moai.

i agree with tikigreg, that matte black moai is great. i would also recommend the mark thomas outrigger, a cool matte green grey bug-eyed version of the moai. for new mugs, munktiki has a series of moais at a set price that are great, on their site, and (shameless plug) on our site http://www.onatiki.com, you will find hugo, and the moai inspired coltrane. the `Ona Tiki mugs will be available in november.

I gotta vote Skipper Kent's.

Speaking of Skipper Kent's. Was a Hula girl mug from Kent's at an antique store today. Had a $95.00 price tag so i didn't bother. Probobly get it for half but that is still way high unless it's very rare i suppose? Had some crazing also. Hard to pass on Tiki mugs in South FL, so hard to come by at thrift stores (course we can always go to the Mai Kai).

Dang, I'm sorry, now for the relavant part. I really like "Poptiki" by Munktiki, sold on ebay, my favorite Moai inspired. also Munktiki has a set of 4 classic Moai's in various stages of sinking into the sand that look great on the dinner table. The old matte black ones are cool too, from many different places.

My GF gave me that set of Munktiki moai for Xmas and they are very cool. I like the astroturf coasters, too.
Probably easier to get a hold of current mugs via websites rather than find vintage treasures in the U.K., eh?

Skipper Kent's stuff doesn't seem to be too rare...I've seen two of the Moai mugs all the way out here. I'd say 95.00 is one of those "Oh, Honey-" prices...as in "Oh, Honey da yew know what yew got in yer hand there...that thar is a genuiiiine tykee mug...I saw on teeeveee whar them thar are brangin a lot of money"...I'd stay far, far away at that price and get yourself a good 12.00 jobbie....they are out there for the taking if you're willing to beat the bushes for them.

On 2003-10-13 03:16, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
(no tiki mugs in our thrift stores!).

Kon-Hemsby there are tiki mugs in the charity stores of this green and plesant land, you just have to look every day and range far and wide, but you will find them, you just have to train your eye to spot them amoungst knick knacks and beer steins.

Tiki Farm and Munktiki are both excellent companies to get your mugs mail order from and will go out of their way to help you.

basement kahuna,
are "tykee" mugs the ones that you wear your buck teeth for, saddle up to your sister, and drink cornpone and tropical coolaide out of?

Although I'm partial to our old giant Grey Moai, I must admit that the best Moai mug is the one filled with the best mai-tai! Imbibe my friends - imbibe!
Holden

Thanks for all your advice, you certainly given me some good ideas. I'm on the case finding my first Moai mug now. AtomicTonyTiki..thanks for the comment about the UK thrift stores..I'll keep looking although all I ever seem to see are china poodles, a one wheeled shopping trolley and 'a souvenir of Bognor'.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2003-10-14 01:51 ]

T

On 2003-10-14 00:17, smogbreather wrote:
Although I'm partial to our old giant Grey Moai, I must admit that the best Moai mug is the one filled with the best mai-tai! Imbibe my friends - imbibe!
Holden

Now I see why you are so successful, Holden. It's because of your near-genius intellect.

I agree, my favorite is a mai tai filled moai and my least favorite is an empty moai.

Now ask me about my "Leilani"

:drink:

Hey Tikimug, tell me about your Leilani.

Is your mug half full or half empty?

Pages: 1 14 replies