Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lester Bangs makes it to CNN

Pages: 1 3 replies

21 years later. wonder what he would think......

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/10/13/lester.bangs/index.html

E
ecm posted on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 7:07 PM

thanks for the link..lester was great , i remember his interview / fight , with lou reed in cream.and his big thumbs up for roxy music , when stranded was released..then slamming bryan ferry about a year later.
i still have all my cream mags..from about 72-79. i think it;s time for a trip down memory lane.

D

Creem ruled and is about to rule again. I have a few old issues with Cheap Trick and Led Zeppelin on the covers. You can always find a good selection of Creem for sale on Ebay. Apparently Creem are about to re-launch the magazine in print again. I heard the next release date was September, but here we are in October so who knows. Meanwhile you can check out Creem online at http://www.creemmedia.com/. There is a feature on Bangs on account of the new book and all. Would love to hear what he would say about Britney Spears and MTV. He totally bashed the MC5 back in tha day. Can you imagine??

Long Live Bangs! :drink:

I think my first exposure to Lester Bangs was in late '76 or early '77 when I picked up a copy of Punk Magazine at Zeds of London in Long Beach. The issue had a cartoonish Iggy Pop on the cover and a nude centerfold layout featuring Debra Harry (hugging a vintage Gibson SG standard as I recall). I was playing bass in an "arena rock band" (big hair, big amps, big attitude) at the time and this mag and Bangs' scribblings really turned me around. Like a lot of other musicians at the time, I was ready for a change and guys like Lester Bangs, Legs McNeil and Richard Hell really got things going. All of a sudden I started re-discovering old faves like the New York Dolls, the Stooges, MC5, Velvet Underground, etc. and Lester Bangs was leadin' the charge. Thanks man...I owe ya a beer.

Pages: 1 3 replies