Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

If you like the Cal Tikis, check this out.

Pages: 1 6 replies

After seeing and enjoying the cool groves and tasty chops of the Cal-Tikis, I realized these dudes were of the Jazz influence. So with that said, and understanding that this doesn't really coincide with the whole Tiki thing, I thought I'd let you all know about a rare musical event coming to Catalina's Bar and Grill in Hollywood. One of two of the greatest drummers alive is playing Tues, Wed, and Thurs night. His name is Dave Weckl and it's the Dave Weckl Band. As a drummer myself, I highly recommend this gig to anyone who would like to experience the ultimate in High Performance, Nitro Burning, Tire Smoking Jazz Fusion. Most people leave with with their jaws on the floor after getting to see a true phenomenon at work. Besides, even though this is lacking a tiki theme, from what I've seen, Tiki is where ever you want to be.

That's an interesting leap - from the Cal-Tiki's to Weckl.....I started the Tiki's to entertain my jazz sensibilities and wrap them in the cloak of "exotica"

Dave's a friend/colleague of mine, we played together on some record dates in the late 80s-early 90s. He's a monster drummer for sure!

Just curious...who is the other (greatest living) drummer that you alluded to in your post?

Ginger Baker?

Davebaby.......That's funny. I checked out your website and you have a list of who's who in the Jazz scene. I primarily grew up in the San Fernando Valley so I know alot of the Jazz "heavies" that has been here for any length of time. Me and a buddy of mine Dave Karisony have followed Dave W. since the Bill Conners days.....that's way back when we thought Vinnie Colauita was the only drum god at the time (so there's the answer to your question). Anywhooo, I just got off the phone with Dave telling him that me, my girlfreind and some guests will be attending Wed. night. Me and Dave have been good friends since the early 90's (Brian Bromberg introduced me originally....you probably know hime too!). I built that Green 69' Vette he used to have. If any of you Tiki'ers want to see a little known secret in L.A. when it comes to an awesome musical experience, I highly recommend it. And besides.....drinks are on me if you're from Tiki Central.

Is your buddy Dave Karisony a drummer? If so,can you email me his phone #? I tried to call him for a gig a while back and couldn't find a current number for him.
thanks!

What's up Dave, welcome to TC .

I'll get Dave's phone number and e-mail it to you. I know he's playing with the Rippingtons now, but not sure how busy his schedual is. I'll send it in a private e-mail tomorrow.

Pages: 1 6 replies