Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Ongoing Surf-Hawaiian-Tiki-Central Coast

Pages: 1 3 replies

Anyone remember the 60s surf band the Impacts or the psychedelic band MU? Well guitarist Merrill Fankhauser is still around and playing regular gigs at Fins (25 west Grand Ave, Grover Beach, near the North entrance to the Oceano Dunes State Beach) and the Back Door Deli (960 Grand Ave, Grover Beach). BDD is a great Hawaiian restaurant (Kalua Pork, Fried Spam, sticky rice etc.). He plays with his wife Yoriko Hongo- The Asian Hula Girl (she gives hula lessons locally) and they have a music TV show on cable called "Tiki Lounge". Has anyone seen this show? Octane? Airs in Maui too. Not sure how good the whole set is as Mrs. Fury heard a bit of them while dining at BDD on Friday. Unfortunately what she heard was muzak versions of Under The Boardwalk and some Beach Boys stuff........

I have seen Merrell's act at Fins Restaurant right on Grover Beach several times. He does a mix of Surf, Hawaiian, Rock, and Oldies, and his originals written in his own, undefineable style. Merrell still shreds on surf guitar. "Wipe Out" often closes the show and is awesome. He has a new partner, Kimberly Green, who sings backup and dances along with several other hula dancers in the show. If you're on the Central Coast, (about halfway between L.A. and S.F.) don't miss a chance to see a surf legend perform.

Hey Neon, thanks for the Heads up.
I have several of his cd's and like his style a bit.
does he play regular guitar or slide, or both?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

L

I have several of his cd's and like his style a bit.
does he play regular guitar or slide, or both?

see fer yerself in this link posted a while ago, here.
he sings an old classic:
We Love Tikis.

http://www.tinyurl.com/mnorm

Pages: 1 3 replies