Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Neubees r us

Pages: 1 30 replies

P

OK - It's my 42nd birfday and I'm breaking that long-standing internet rule..."Don't drink and post..."

I went through the old posts here tonight while mixing my Mai Tais with the Cruzan Single Barrel that the Amber Love Goddess brought/bought for me.

Please indulge this newbie for a few sentences whilst I re-visit some subjects from the past. (I only read everything UP TO Oct. 14th 2002.) The rest tomorrow or relatively soon... I hate missin' stuff.

I have a few additions, queries, answers and observations re: posts up to Oct. 14th 2002:

1. The Thor Heyerdahl film that was being remade... any recent word on that?

2. Hampton Inn - had a run in with them as well over their reservation policies. Got my money back after a persistence flu that swept me off of my complancency - generally avoid H.I. when at all possible. Congrats for those who conquered this Memphis-based icon of suck.

3. Raw FIsh Salad as posted by the New Caledonian... yes - I will make it for the TC party TBD at the Lagoon Lounge.

4. Never got to see the BongBar.

(EDIT: found this one later:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=546&forum=1&13

Thanks and Fantastic. I recognize the Gecko Tiki from his carving post.)

The links to the pics were outdated, as with many of the bars that I wished to view. Any links to those that are working? Also Castaway Cove and several others.

1. Tiki Museum. A great idea that some benevolent cash-tiki will certainly fund through this site in the not too distant future. It's just too hip to ignore.

2. Swanky was looking for bamboo at one juncture. I have some info regarding that. UTKnoxville is sponsoring a grower here in the Tampa area to grow massive amounts of bamboo for... clothing. They say it will replace cotton. I say - what's the thread count? Really though, it is a viable project that has major funding through UT and JJ (My Mai Kai buddy) is involved daily. So bamboo is an easy find here... that's all I'm sayin'.

3. The Rock as King K. - Samoans vs. Hawai'ians - what gives on this front?

And Finally...
I've learned that my use of "Lagoon Lounge" is a copyright infringement on Alnshelly's well documented bar.

I'd like to seek permission from the owners to use said name in Florida only and not to be commercialized for profit without the written consent of the owners.

I plead the fifth...

...of rum.

Happy birthday deeeer pablus...
haaaaapy biiiiirthdayyyy to meeeeeeee.

Now a question...
The Bali Hai(?) in Canton, Ohio, (my home sweat home... yes... sweat), my uncle was the bartender there for many years. Does anyone know of a source for bric-a-brac from that locale? Anyone ever even hear of it?

[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-10-14 03:54 ]

P

Just found this one:

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2568&forum=1&30

Y'know - for the newbies and all.

Heck - it's almost dawn and I'm only to page 20 something.

Cruzan fading - resolve dissapating - must read on.....

P
P

Wow.

5-6 hours of Tiki Central Main Discussion Area "Surfing" and finally made it to the day I first started lurking.

(I started at midnite TPA time and it's now 6:06 - don't know why the "post time" is skewed unless the edits did it.)

You folks are busy.
Appreciate the links and photos and info everyone.
Thanks to all. Been a great year for Tiki.

Good ni..... uhh....morning.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-10-14 04:08 ]

Pablus,

I think that shows a great deal of respect (?) for the group for a neubie to read all the posts on the new Tiki Central forum.

But if you want to be hardcore, we used to be on Yahoo Clubs, then Groups.

If you're ever in So Cali, stop by Bong's Tiki Hut for a drink. (The pictures on that post are primative compared to now.)

P

I'll be there in an hour.

Actually, I have a buddy in Playa Del Ray that I visit from time to time. What a wierd little complex that is.

I'm hoping to be helping him move here to Tampa in a few months. While there, I'd certainly like to stop by and view your digs, jam a bit and sample a drink or eight.

Thanks for the invite.

On 2003-10-14 13:55, pablus wrote:

I'll be there in an hour.

Actually, I have a buddy in Playa Del Ray that I visit from time to time. What a wierd little complex that is.

I'm hoping to be helping him move here to Tampa in a few months. While there, I'd certainly like to stop by and view your digs, jam a bit and sample a drink or eight.

Thanks for the invite.

Playa Del Rey in da house!

Where's your buddy at? If it a "wierd little complex" he must live in one of those building with the little creeks running through it. I can never find my way in those mazes.

On 2003-10-14 09:07, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Pablus,

I think that shows a great deal of respect (?) for the group for a neubie to read all the posts on the new Tiki Central forum.

Amen!

....someone finally gets it....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PABLUS :)

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-10-14 18:39 ]

Pablus,
Good for you, reading the archive, there is some good stuff in there. Go ahead and use Lagoon Lounge, it's a good name for a bar. When you go to Bongs let us know, we'll meet you up there.
Mahalo,
Al

P

What a great year it's been for TIKI!

I actually got to meet many of the folks from Tiki Central and have made truly solid friendships with several of you.
Except for Flounder.

My bar is doing well, I've added stuff from a lot of folks here, notably Basement Kahuna and Monkeyman, and I'm about to add a TikiTony tiki to the entrance.

My mug collection is ramping up with the coolness factor in that I have now met many of the artisans who made the best mugs of the collection.

I got to go to Hukilau and hang wit da ohana - and I think I was made an honorary Californian but my teeth haven't gotten any whiter. What gives?

I went through 2 hurricanes and pneumonia.

I learned a great deal about drink mixing and Tiki history and Hawaiiana and good story and uke playing and vintage stuff and bamboo and other tropical plants.

Thank you, Tiki Centralites, for making this year a lot more fun and fulfilling with your recipes, ideas, songs, events, humor, artwork, story, photos and general good nature.

Today, I'm getting myself a little present - I'm booking my flight to LAX for the first part of November. I'll be there 5 nights.

Tiki Bong, your time is at hand. I have to do a Tiki Ti night. I must see the Lagoon Room if at all possible. I gotta see Bamboo Ben's shop. I need to have King Kukulele drive me through Compton at 3 am. I'd love to see the southernCA ohana in their natural environment without a major storm bearing down on them.

What a great start to my oldest year ever!

And this year, I resolve to send Hanford some money - Mahalo to you BIG TIME, braddah.

On 2004-10-14 08:02, pablus wrote:
Today, I'm getting myself a little present - I'm booking my flight to LAX for the first part of November. I'll be there 5 nights.

Pablus, make sure you post up the dates you'll be here -- I definitely want to get together for a Mai Tai.

Happy Birthday Pablus!
You are absolutely right about going through TC archives. An enormous wealth of info and fun (thanks again Hanford).
But the best thing about TC, are the people you meet here.
Mai tais for everyone!!

H

Happy Birthday, Pablus! Oh, I'm so excited to hear you're going to be in town soon! Something special will certainly be arranged.

Happy birthday, my friend.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:52 ]

V

happy birthday, I hope your head is fine after your birthday night :wink:
If not, well, I'm playing some sweet uke for you...

M

Happy birthday, amigo.

The Tiki Ti had better stock up on ingredients if Hurrican Pablus is blowing into town. I wanna be there for that!

Happy Birthday neighbor -- one day late. It has been a good year for tiki. Seems like yesterday when me and Flounder were at the Hawaiian Inn lugging your groceries. Come to think of it, I was lugging your groceries around Ft. Lauderdale too! Hell, I can think of worse jobs than being Pablus' bag boy.

Happy Birthday!!! I'm buried at work, so I missed your original posts. Glad to hear that you had a good nite! Give me a call so we can get together soon - it's a great season down at the Fairchild, and we still need to do the tour. Also, I wanted to ask if you and Angela might be interested in coming down to see Keola & Moana Beamer in January - they're going to be at the Broward Center, and we could make an evening of it. Let me know and I'll grab some tickets for us.

Cheers!

Pablus, you wearin' your birthday suit? It's your day brah. Time to bask in all your glory.

Definitely post the dates you'll be near Cisco.

[ Edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2004-10-16 16:00 ]

Pablus,

Happy Belated Birthday to the BEST mixologist in Florida!!!! Celebrate your special day all month, which apparently you are since you're going to Cali-forn-IA!!!! Have a BLAST and take pics!

Luv,

Neptune Wahine

[ Edited by: NeptuneTiki on 2004-10-16 15:59 ]

P

Another year older and completely out of debt.
Well, except for that little 'ol Lagoon Lounge payment.

Weird Tiki Year.

Lots of great music and fun this year thanks to my friends Kanekila, Jumpin' Josh and Joe the Beachcomber, Haole Kats!

Thanks to my uke-mates as well, Rustiki and Koka Nut. We're learning.

Wrote some nifty tunes and worked out a few others. Bali Hai was a bear because of that "head sticking out of a low flying cloud..." phrase and its odd chordal finish. I never get tired of playing Nani Hanalei.

Fell in love with the Slack Key guitar. I will learn it.

Had to give up drinking almost enitrely. Sucks in a way... in a way it's great, like most intense experiences. And drinking, for me anyway, was always an intense experience. I miss the complex flavors as much as the buzz. Kuku Ahu and I were discussing how to make fine mock-tails and I got a chance to experiment at the Mai Kai this last weekend since they have a lot of ingredients. I think I can approximate their Zombie.

My health has greatly increased in proportion to the decrease in mass.
Sheesh, what a hog. Good thing my bicycle has a steel frame.

The Lagoon is getting dolled up nicely. Couple of new tikis - that's only a good thing. C'Al's tiki chess set is about the coolest thing I've ever owned. The garden is a bit out of control right now - but nothing a couple of days of work wouldn't have in shape. I love bamboo. I have 4 kinds growing here now.

Life is good. Looking forward to my best year ever. I still love to wander into the warm confines of the Lagoon Lounge and hear the soft Hawai'ian music in the background and see the plants and the art that reminds me of Polynesia. And then I love to get on TIki Central and read about far away places or places of yesterday - new recipes - new artistic endeavors - stuff to buy - songs to play or listen to - people to meet - events to attend or wish I had. I love it here.

Once again, thanks to all who contribute here in every forum. I read them all.

I'm glad BK is back with a renewed vigor.
I do miss Tiki Bong but that's all I'll say about that. I miss Flounder, too.

And if Kanekila does that "Margaritaville" finish to one more Hawai'ian tune, I'm going to snap a string around his neck.

RT

Happy Birthday, Pablus! Enjoy your day! Wishing you the best year ever.

!!Happy Birthday Sir!!

Since reminiscing is "de rigueur" let me tell everyone about how I met Pablus... it was Hukilau 2004. I was terribly tired since I had been doing double shifts teaching and reporting from the Hurricane Weather Center but I just HAD to make it to Hukilau. Well needless to say I did, just as the last band was performing and the few vendors that were still around packed it in. I was met with warm smiles from friendly people and somehow managed to get invited to the afterparty... long story short, Pablus was mixing drinks from a tattered little tome that looked as if it was made of parchment. As I watched (in utter amazement), Pablus casually looked over and asked if I'd like to try a "Test Pilot". Talk about the Aloha Spirit... I will ALWAYS remember it! Thanks again!

pronounced: oh-tee khe-nee kho

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2005-10-14 09:07 ]

A
Al-ii posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2005 8:55 AM

Happy Birthday Brother
Mahalo,
Al

Happy Birthday Pablus!!! Hope to meet you one of these days!!
Later,
Spermy

J
Jawa posted on Fri, Oct 14, 2005 10:26 AM

Happy Birthday Pablus! One of these days...A Tampa Tiki party!

Til then, good health!

Happy Birthday, Big Bruddah!

You went up against some rough seas this year, but, as ever, you charted your course and plowed right through, singing and laughing all the way. While I'm so happy to see that there's a whole lot less of you, the fact is that the world could use a whole lot more of you. Much continued health and happiness to you.

And dammit, get your skinny ass to California, already!

Pablus,
It was a pleasure to finally meet you and you were so cool to make those Lapus for my party.
I will return the favor when you make it to Calitikifornia.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 16, 2005 3:40 PM

Happy Birthday dude!

Pages: 1 30 replies