Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I LOVE these prices!!!

Pages: 1 14 replies

E
M

....it's the Holy Grail....ninny, nanny, noony!!!

Uhhh...I'm not sure that is even from -the- Kahiki or a tiki mug in the first place. Looks like a planter. If I saw it out I'd guess the name use was pure coincidence. I'm probably wrong, but..

P

It's amazing the value you can add to a Mexican flowerpot bought from a guy selling out of his station wagon with just the simple use of a paint pen!

(Ok, I'll admit I don't recognize the design at all. Of course, I'm not bidding $588 on it, either. If this is actually a known item, I'll retract my snarky comment.)

M

...no really, it's the Holy Grail...Tiki J. drank out of it at the Last Luau....

[ Edited by: mattfink on 2003-10-16 09:15 ]

I am saving these two pictures to my shutterfly, since future readers may look at this post and say "what the hec are they talking about", since the ebay link will only work for a short while.

It's definitely a cool piece. It is pictured in The Book of Tiki (page 45). It just seems odd to me that an artist can hand make a fine piece, and then screw-up the signature at the bottom! Also, I don't believe I've ever seen any of the "Kahiki" pieces signed with black marker at all. They were all scribed right onto the ceramic itself and then glazed over after being signed. I could be wrong, but I always that Kahiki's were always completely glazed inside, outside AND on the bottom.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2003-10-16 22:48 ]

T

So I'm selling 37 items on ebay to pay for this mug....yes, it is the real deal! I was lucky enough to have the money to get the Mystery Bowl on ebay a couple of years ago and have wanted to get the Idol's Cast ever since.
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/kahiki

Besides....that Kohalacharms guy is buying EVERYTHING- it feels sooo good to beat him just once!!! :P

There have been a couple of other Idol's Casts on ebay over the past couple years. One was bought by 1Kahiki and I don't remember who bought the other. But neither was the Hoffman version. Even though I think the Hoffman one is not as old as those, I like the design and quality of the Hoffman.

I'll have photos of it in the Tiki Gallery soon....I'm one happy guy :D

A

Allright Mike,
Good score.
Mahalo,
Al

One of these Hoffman pieces sold for far, far less on Ebay sometime in the last year but it had the word "Rhino" (I think) on the bottom instead of Kahiki. Any idea what that means? Did Hoffman sell these as well as make them for the Kahiki?

E

Tikihula dude, there is nothing finer than to see someone get their dream mug. Congrats to you, you have cojones muy grandes!

aloha,
em.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Oct 16, 2003 6:19 PM

I love the rare stuff!!! That's somethin you will enjoy for long time to come! congrats!

TikiHula~

You are "yoho-yoho"?

Also, Kahiki had 2 bowls with different "feet"? I noticed that the one in The Gallery is like the one on the table in The Book of Tiki on page 19. The one you won is like the one on page 45. I never noticed this until now.

Also, like I mentioned before, I always thought Kahiki items were glazed inside, outside and on the bottom. Have you seen other bowls like this one with Kahiki written in black marker?...or do you think someone, somewhere marked it, and it's maker, for some odd reason?

That's some purchase! Congrats!

Ok. Here's what we have been able to put together so far on the history of the Kahiki bowls.

There were three different Mystery Bowls and two different Idol's Cast mugs used from the opening in 1961 to probably the early 70s.

From the three dated (and drink prices) drink menus from the 60s, it looks like the bowl with the tikis underneath is the oldest (see the back cover of BOT). I'm not sure who made it, but the two similar Idol's Casts that have come up on ebay before had "Do-B" printed on the bottom. Then the awesome "yet to be seen on ebay" version where the straws go through the tiki's mouths was used (Don't know the maker either). Then the 1968 menu shows the Hoffman version of the Mystery Bowl. And, the Mystery Bowl is not glazed all the way accross the bottom- the center,lowest area is unglazed and has Kahiki inscribed into it.

As for the Idol's Cast, it looks like the same artwork on all three menus, and the artwork looks like the Hoffman version. But, there is that other Do-B version, and so I'm not sure which one was used when.

And, there are other Hoffman Kahiki pieces that were written on the bottom and not inscribed. Here's just one of them:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/kahiki/aal
The Kahiki name is hand written and the "Ceramics by Hoffman" is an ink stamp.

That's about all we know right now. Can anyone else add anything?

Ok, who's next?!

Now's your chance to own an Idol's Cast too...just saw this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2665913823&category=86&rd=1

...all you have to do is outbid Kohalacharms :(

E

I will be able to outbid kohalacharms when hell freezes over. And that is a fack.

:)
em

Pages: 1 14 replies