Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

OVD rum

Pages: 1 10 replies

I've managed to get some OVD rum (popular in Scotland I think) and I was wondering what other rums it is the equivalent to so I can use it in my drink experimentations.

Thought I'd try and raise this question again. I discovered the lovely OVD rum whilst in Scotland and have found that we can get hold of it down in the south (of England, that is).
Has anyone used this rum before, and do you know what other rums it is similar to so I can put it in drinks?

(If no replies, I won't raise this question again, promise).

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-02-13 04:26 ]

This stuff? I noticed it alongside many others in that superb wine shop I mentioned.
As it's a demerara, look for recipes that require a strong dark rum. I might have to invest in a bottle myself!

Trader Woody

That's the baby. It's only 40% and most demerara rums in the recipes call for 151 demerara. I've been using a mix of OVD and clear 151 rum. Is that a good idea?

Worth buying, it's got a really sweet caramel taste. Hmmmmmmm

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-02-13 04:57 ]

O.V.D. is great but the next morning you can tell you've been drinking it, the rum seeps from your pores. I allways think of it as a trawlermans drink proper sailor stuff because my dad and uncle used to drink it.

In my club it goes by the nickname of "Old Vaginal Discharge", which i think says more about my customers than the rum.

On 2004-02-13 06:15, atomictonytiki wrote:
In my club it goes by the nickname of "Old Vaginal Discharge", which i think says more about my customers than the rum.

That reminds me, how's the sale of the plastic sperm going in the club?

K
Klas posted on Fri, Feb 13, 2004 11:26 AM

On 2004-02-13 04:56, Kon-Hemsby wrote:

That's the baby. It's only 40% and most demerara rums in the recipes call for 151 demerara.

I also only can get 40% Demerara (El Dorado) here in Sweden but I would say that there are quite a few of the Demerara recipes in Beachbum Berry's books that only calls for the normal proof. From the top of my head I can recommend Pineapple Paradise, Surf Room Mai Tai and Beachcomber's Punch.

:drink:

They really went down a treat once people were drunk enought to get over the shame of buying them, we even had to discreatly pass some to guys that didn't want to seen drinking fake sperm.
We can't seem to get anymore since the portman group ruled against them..

http://www.portman-group.org.uk/codeofpractice/62.asp?coid=57&recordcount=1

C

Old thread I know, but I was about to ask about OVD on here and thought it best to utilise an existing topic.

I was in the process of making a list of elusive ingredients to buy on our forthcoming California trip, including Lemon Hart demerara. Then my husband pointed out that OVD (available absolutely everywhere in our neighbourhood) stands for Old Vatted Demerara. Funny, as it's so prevalent here I never thought of it as 'tiki'!

So, opinion here seems to be that it's a good demerara? I made Beachbum's Own last week subbing demerara for some other dark rum - was delicious but if OVD does the trick it will be awesome to taste the drink as it should be without a massive trek to get the right rum!

A little off-topic, but Makro turned out to be an excellent UK source of tiki beverage goods - they had many flavours of Monin syrups including passion fruit and orgeat, De Kuyper creme de cacao which is pretty hard to find around here, Appleton white rum, all ages of Brugal and various Finest Call mixers - got the passion fruit puree which is pretty nice.

Edited to add - I'll still be on the hunt for Lemon Hart 151. It's so hard to get 151 around here, and the Bacardi one goes for upwards of £70 + postage. Pfft. The only viable one around here is Goslings 151, available in Edinburgh for £33.50 - I may pick up a bottle when I'm next in town, but may be in California before that!

[ Edited by: cathuna 2011-01-08 05:17 ]

If your on the hunt for rum in Scotland you could try..

John Scott and Miller Ltd, Kirkwall, Orkney
http://www.jsmorkney.co.uk/

yeah I know its far away but they will do mail order and they have world famous range of Whiskys and the best range of Rums plus they have Velvet Falernum.

Cornelius Beers and Wines, Easter Road, Edinburgh
http://www.corneliusbeers.com/

A great shop run by an old friend of mine, while he doesn't have the best range of rum, he is a total booze geek and will hunt for what your after.

And on the continuing tale of the sperm shooters, my South African house mate returned from a jaunt home with some and apparently they are the hot new drink in South Africa.

C

Well, we do like our road trips around Scotland when the weather is better so will try and get to Orkney! We did manage all the way to northern Skye in a day last easter :o) Mail order is an option though. Oooh they have Barbancourt!

Cornelius in Edinburgh looks great - I think husband would drive there for the beer selection alone so I wouldn't have to trek from Easter Rd to Waverley station laden with bottles!

Oh, and here's a thing - Peckhams in Glasgow now sells Taylors Velvet Falernum! When I asked the assistant for a bottle she'd never heard of it and remarked it must be new in - this was just before Christmas. The Glasgow Tiki Bar does a cocktail Gin & Juice, and the menu says it contains falernum syrup - I keep forgetting to ask where they got that from! But I tried to replicate the recipe at home (with Taylors) and did a fair job, albeit with too much ginger beer.

Well, last night's 1950 Zombie (from Sippin Safari) was a roaring success even without 151, thanks to Makro selling the syrups. And a great haul in Barcelona, where a bottle of aged rum runs to about a half to a third of what it costs here! And Licor 43, yummy!

I still can't believe a needed ingredient turns out to be available from 2 little shops within a 5 minute walk from my house, let alone every supermarket we ever go to. Definitely getting a bottle of OVD in later!

Sperm shooters? ick!

[ Edited by: cathuna 2011-01-08 07:12 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies