Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Fun Pics from the Jersey Shore

Pages: 1 2 replies

As some of you may know, I just recently moved back to the States & subsequently bought a house in New Jersey. The perks of living here include being only 3 miles from the beach & stil close to NYC. Unfortunately, only scant traces of tiki exist. However, examples of mid-century goofiness abound! Many places around here appear to be in a time warp (wait 'til I develop my photos from Asbury Park). Here are some photos I took around the seaside town of Long Branch. Enjoy!

AVAST YE! At one time this signage must surely have been a beacon for THE place for salty seadogs to be seen. Sadly, the building where this briny bar once offered solstice to thirsty wayfarers now only houses a hole-in-the-wall fried chicken joint:

Now rundown & looking rather nefarious, the swanky essence of this boardwalk motel still remains (I couldn’t find any fountain though):

Best hotdogs on the Shore at this Long Branch landmark:

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-10-16 12:40 ]

D
davew posted on Fri, Oct 17, 2003 6:47 AM

hey chris,
welcome to the garden state! thanks for the pix,may i suggest on your next trip up north you make a stop at rutts hut in clifton.home of the ripper,the best dogs in jersey.hope you said hi to tillie in asbury park,i still enjoy walking around there even tho its a bit of a sad ghost town now.i see a trip in your future down to wildwood as well to check out the wonderful 50s motel architecture.stay til the great neon signs come on as well-----------dave from jersey

aloha davew & thanks for the welcome.

speaking of clifton, you don't know the status of lee's do you?

btw, my wife & i went up to chan's in ridgefield last night (to celebrate me getting my results back for my masters degree - which i passed w/ merit! - yes!). have you been up there? that place is one of my faves!

also, look on the events forum for the topic w/ red bank in the title. tcers may be getting together in early november.

chris

Pages: 1 2 replies