Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A little tiki something for the wall

Pages: 1 12 replies

We picked up this tiki mosaic a couple of weeks ago, once again, from our friend and master tiki sourcer - KC Heylin.

This is the same mosaic that is on page 174 and 175 in the BOT. It measures 22" by 82". The frame was made by KC's friend, and is period correct.

This is a view of our living room from the kitchen. The couch, loveseats and endtables are all vintage koa pieces. Anthuriums are carved into the front panels of all pieces.

The cabinet against the back wall houses my most favorite bowls, mugs, nodders, and misc hawaiiana pieces.

Outside temp: 78 degrees and sunny.

(my lawyer said I must state that all interior design done by Madame Bong)

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-10-19 19:42 ]

Bong- Great score on the mosaic. Your living room is superb (score on the interior decorator/wife , as well!). It looks as though you have a custom carving in front of your fireplace. Is that out of metal or wood? Is the fireplace still practical? Where did you find this screen. My generic OSH fireplace screen must be retired for something closer to yours.

K
Kono posted on Sun, Oct 19, 2003 9:09 PM

Damn, that is insanely cool. Both the mosaic and the whole living room and kitchen.

What's especially nice is that it's heavily tiki and yet I think it would be appreciated by most "non-tiki" types that come to visit your home. Outstanding.

P

Tiki_Bong,

What a score on the mosaic, and that living room is gorgeous ! Are those Kelly prints on the wall above the cabinet ? Very, very nice... my compliments to Madame Bong interior design, too. I'm wondering, does KC have a store that he sells out of ? Both the tapa globes in our backyard and a nice tiki trophy style lamp I bought from him a few years ago were through ebay, so I'm not familiar with a particular location he sells from. I'd like to make a road trip down there one day to check out all these great sources of tiki & Hawaiiana. Thanks for posting those great pics !

[ Edited by: puamana on 2003-10-19 21:16 ]

Nice tropical pad to come home to after a hard days' work........i feel refreshed just looking at the pictures......good work Mr. & Mrs. Bong......

C

Tiki_Bong,

Your living room is inspired design. That frame is perfect for an already remarkable mosaic.

Bongster,
When I come down to visit my family in O.C., this Decemeber, I would find it an honor to visit your pad (A pathetic invite on myself). Your home is stylin. Best to ya dude!!

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-10-19 23:32 ]

G
GECKO posted on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 1:04 AM

I love Bongs house and his wifes collection! You're wun lucky braddah on da Mosiac! can wait to come by again and see'em in person.

Nice Bong. The Bong Museum!

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-10-20 08:33 ]

Thanks all for the comliments, which should, I guess, go to Madame Bong.

Tikifille - the fire screen is Monkey Pod with carvings of Anthuriums around it. And yes, it's not practical. We don't use our fireplace anyway.

Kono - The Mrs wanted the interior to be more polynesian and not too heavy on Tiki. My tiki bar is in the attached garage and is where most tikis reside.

Puamana - that's Kelly's art on 1940's menus from the Royal Hawaiian in Waikiki. KC has been our friend for a number of years and lives in the next town South of us - Newport Beach. He sells some on ebay but more out of his home. He recently sold most all of his vast collection of mugs, bowls, art, furniture. He hated to part with some, but he can always come over and visit.

Unga Bunga - all are welcome in my home. I may be the annoying class clown on the board, but when people are in my home they are ohana.

Aloha

I am green with envy! Your home looks so cozy and inviting. The mosaic is stunning. I bought a mug from KC on ebay, where does he find such great stuff? Madam Bong has done a beautiful job!

I just remembered this thread about Tiki Mosaics for the newer TC Ohana.... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2422&forum=5 Here is their site. Cheeky half where are yoooo? http://www.thebigrobot.com/tiki/mosaic.html

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-10-20 13:01 ]

T

Mmm, buttaScotch yo! Good fabric cHoice on tHose seats. I think I'm gonna use similar fabric like dat for my door panels on my coche'. You must have good friends who find you that good stuff. All my friends find fo' me is there old hawaiian shirts, which aren't even that old.

Pages: 1 12 replies