Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

"Tiki Quest" book signing at Quimby's in Chicago October 24... Who's going?

Pages: 1 11 replies

Didn't see this event listed here and I was wondering if anyone here from the Wisconsin-Illinois area was attending... I'm seriously considering coming down Friday night, especially to get the mug and the book. I was wondering who I might run into...

I guess I'll just post up the info from the email I got...

Quimby’s bookstore in Chicago's Wicker Park will host a "Tiki Quest" booksigning and Tiki party on Friday, October 24th at 7:30pm. Chicago author
and avid Tiki collector Duke Carter will be on hand to sign copies of his brand new book, "Tiki Quest: Collecting the Exotic Past." The evening will also feature a special performance from The Barefoot Hawaiians (www.barefoothawaiian.com), a hula troupe from Des Plaines, IL  that regularly performed Friday and Saturday night shows at the legendary O’Hare Marriott Kona Kai.

For additional information about the event, please contact Quimby’s at 773-342-0910. Quimby’s (www.quimbys.com) is Chicago's coolest independent bookstore, specializing in underground books, comics, small press titles,
graphic novels, 'zines, art and erotica. It is located at 1854 W. North Ave. in Chicago.

Hmmm... I may have to head out to Hala Kahiki later that night too...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-10-22 00:15 ]

If I can clear it with my boss (wife), I'll be there.

We will definitely be there, also Hala Kahiki afterwards sounds great.
See Ya
Dave & Coalbe

D

Did I here Hala Kahiki?

B

Aloha!

We are looking forward to the event at Quimby's this Friday and to meeting more Tiki Central members. If you will be coming out (or even if you can't make it) please tell your friends and fellow Tiki worshipers.

Unfortunately, we received word that the Barefoot Hawaiians will not be joining us to display their hula skills. But in order make it up to you we will be serving some tasty tropical concoctions from behind the bar. We hope to sort of transform Quimby's into a tiny Tiki temple for the evening!

Mahalo and I hope to see you there!

-Amy

Aloha Amy...

Curious... will the Tiki Central discount listed here apply to a purchase of Tiki Quest at Quimby's? Or, as I'm guessing, because Quimby's is selling them they will be at regular price which would be...$34.99?

Mahalo... see you all there!

And the wahine and I are still planning a drink or two at Hala Kahiki later that night since we're coming down from the land of cheese...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-10-22 00:30 ]

B

Unfortunately, there will not be a discount available to Tiki Central members this Friday. Quimby's will be selling the book and just like any other retail location that carries Tiki Quest, we have no control over the price at which it is sold. When somebody buys the book at wholesale, any discount they might offer is at their discretion.

When we sell the book directly we are able to offer the incentives such as the members' discount and the free shipping. Regardless, we are delighted that Quimby's and the other stores are carrying Tiki Quest and we hope that people support these fine retailers.

And even if you already have a copy of Tiki Quest, we hope you come out on Friday to say HI.

Aloha,

-Amy

D

So, what time is everything gonna be? Are people gonna also meet at Hala Kahiki afterwards?

B

Dawn,
The Quimby's thing starts at 7:30 and should not run more than an hour or two.

Don't know if we can get all the way out to Hala Kahiki afterwards, but if there are several people going there, we'd certainly try.

Though more expensive than Hala Kahiki, the Rock-A-Tiki is a stone's throw from Quimby's and a logical place to take the party if folks are into it.

We just hope everyone can make it to Quimby's this evening!

Is there a place we can go to find out where Duke Carter will be signing books in the future?

D

I'm hoping I'll be able to make it. If I can't is there gonna be somewhere else to purchase the mug?

B

On 2003-10-24 12:09, Unga Bunga wrote:
Is there a place we can go to find out where Duke Carter will be signing books in the future?

Sure. Check the events section of the Tiki Quest website http://www.pegboardchicago.com And of course we'll make sure to post here in the events forum.

There is not much there yet, but we are working on a few things. This fall is pretty harried, there is a lot going on and with family obligations, the holidays and all, it's difficult to schedule things. Duke will be in South Florida the first week of December and is hoping to have a little get-together at the Mai-Kai. And we have been kicking around the idea of a brief trip to Southern California before Christmas, but nothing is solid yet. Likewise, we hope to make it out to the DC area very near Christmas and thought it would be fun to do something out there. At the least, maybe have a gathering at the Honolulu. But we'll keep you up to date as we firm up plans.

Regarding the Tiki Quest mug, we have had several inquiries and we have had to say the same thing. Munktiki is still making the mugs (we have about 15 for the Quimby's thing tonight) and when we get them, we'd like to first offer them to folks who come out to book-signings or events. We recognize that we can't go everywhere and everyone can't join us at the few events we have planned so far, so we hope to be able to offer them directly from the Tiki Quest website before too long. Again, we'll keep you up to date. We are thrilled with how the mug has come out, it looks better than we'd hoped and certainly better than the photo. Paul and Stucky do amazing work!

Gotta' go get ready for Quimby's...

Aloha!
-Amy

[ Edited by: boutiki on 2003-10-24 13:02 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies