Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

SAYONARA, Hollywood Bowl!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 18 replies

T

although this is not Tiki themed, most tiki/urban archeologists in LA might find this news of interest.

this week, the world famous, Hollywood Bowl band shell, an iconic structure to say the least, is no more.

some backdoor/sleazy deals were made to keep this quite, so you might not here too much about it. the original 'shell' is an undeniable image, which has been featured in numerous feature films, cartoons and illustrations over the years. originally built in 1929, the structure was bulldozed this week. a new, modern stage, more sizable for rock concerts and such will replace it. i'm sure a new, updated stage would be more usable for modern concerts, but with classic LA disaapearing before our eyes, was this really, absolutely necessary?

the end of another era!

1963~

I can't seem to find any info on what you are talking about. I have, though, found many press releases of "possibilities" of The Bowl losing it's shell as far back as 1999 and even more press releases on "improving" the acoustical shell. If this IS a definite, then may I ask what your source was?

It's a fantastic place and would hate to see it go, so please give more details if you can.

T

well, a friend of mine in the LA Conservancy was there today (10/20) and the structure is pretty much toppled.

at one time, the Conservancy was moving to protect it, but for an undetermined reason, backed off on its defense of the structure.

as i said, you may not find too much in the way of public announcements on it.

damn shame if ya ask me!

D

This kind of news has become so familiar over the last 10 years or so. Some band of redevelopment shmucks somewhere are always bulldozing world famous landmarks. In New York City alone several historic theaters have been razed for 'redevelopment'. Anybody remember the Palladium? Leveled a few years ago and turned into an NYU dorm rechristened 'Paladium Hall'. I hope those rich kids know what they're sitting on. And remember The Fillmore East? One lone crusader tried to get interest in saving the building a few years back, but no dice. Now it's a bank and an apartment building.

But on the original subject: I have visited L.A. several times and never got to visit the Hollywood Bowl. A friend of mine went to see Dione Warwick there a few years ago mostly for the experience of being at the original Hollywood Bowl.

Another one bites the dust. All I can say is...THAT SUCKS.

Long live the bowl! :drink:

D

I just called and spoke with a Hollywood Bowl Rep. She said that the The Hollywood Bowls season is now closed and yes they tore down the shell, everything will be remaining the same, but for structural reasons it needed to be refurbished. She also said that they are putting up a new shell for next season, same style but based on an earlier design of the shell, there have been several shells over the years all based on a similar design. Thats all the info I got. Here is some information I pulled from their site.

The Architecture

As a physical presence, the Bowl has come to symbolize Southern California -- its glamour, romance, fun, and great performing tradition. The magnificent amphitheater, with its signature arched proscenium, known worldwide, has evolved through the years with the creative assistance of three of architecture's luminaries. In 1926 Myron Hunt, famed for his design of another Southern California landmark -- the Rose Bowl in Pasadena -- designed the balloon-shaped seating area that seems to rise from the stage and embrace the hillside. Enlisting some of the most talented architects and designers in Los Angeles, the Bowl's music shell would see four incarnations between 1926 and 1929. Lloyd Wright, the oldest son of Frank Lloyd Wright, designed two of these shells for the Bowl in 1927 and 1928 , the second of which (pictured above) provided the inspiration for the current shell. In 1980, the internationally-renowned Los Angeles architect Frank Gehry created the fiberglass spheres that hang from the Bowl's shell to enhance the acoustics. http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-10-20 18:20 ]

The Hollywood Bowl was indeed a great place to pack a picnic lunch and a Mai Tai and listen to great music under the stars.

(I just hope, and pray to Ku, that with the new shell/stage doesn't come that lame ass hip hop noise)

T

hay DawnTiki...

you don't waste time!

the 'shell' structure is..er, ah, was the original from 1929. there has only been additions to it for acoustics such as the giant, white globes that have been there for about 15 years or less.

as far as structural issues...really, that's developer talk for, 'this thing is in my way, and i better come up with some excuse so i don't look like a complete ass'. in reality, they want to expand the performance stage to increase sales capacity. a plan was offered to expand the stage and keep the shell intact, but that would have taken more care and effort from the powers that be on the comittee.

i don't know about you, but i can't wait 'til they bulldoze the HOLLYWOOD sign and put up one-a-those swell, Times Square-type of giant TV screens instead! imagine how much more dough the city of LA could bring in with the ad space alone!!! wee!!!!!!

T

That is so sad. While I love Los Angeles because there is still so much history to be found, occasionally something like this happens (the partial demolishing of Johnie's Broiler in Downey for example) and it's such a shocking blow.

This really bites. The wife and I were playing tourists a little over a week ago and parked above the bowl. I'm looking down it and I notice some big equipment and a cleared staging area. I'm thinking to myself that this is odd. I had the camera in hand and should've snapped a couple of pics.

I don't mean to change the subject but, could you kind of explain what you and your wife were doing in the bushes above the Hollywood Bowl? And why did you have your camera with you...sicko!

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEeeooOOoouucccchhh!!!!!!!!

Hey tiki1963...
ready to come out to Sunland to see the Tangaroa tiki room collection...?

Hey Kuke, you are a dirty old man, and so am I.....heh,heh heh.

T

On 2003-10-21 12:12, Tangaroa wrote:
Hey tiki1963...
ready to come out to Sunland to see the Tangaroa tiki room collection...?

tangoroa..

name the bat-time....name the bat-place.

jr

On 2003-10-20 18:14, donhonyc wrote: Anybody remember the Palladium?

In the mid-'50s, my Latin music-mad mother used to take the red eye from Montreal to NYC to dance through a pair of shoes in the course of an evening to Machito, Tito Puete, Tito Rodriguez and the rest at The Palladium.

PBS ran a wonderful documentary on the Palladium scene last year.

Oh you lucky dog you! If only I could travel back in time. On the weekends here in LA, I carve tikis to the music of those guys. The dj's on the station are always talking about the old Paladium days and the history of the artists. ! AZUCAR !

Remember when the Flintstones performed at the Hollyrock Bowl with Ann Margrock?
I'm sure there will be a big fight to save it.

T

unfortunately Unga Bunga, the Bowl is already gone. now, ann-margrock can perform on the new, improved tech-stage along with britney spear-head....

wowzie-wowzie-woo-woo...

D

Tiki1963, do you know what plans are instore for the new building?

Pages: 1 18 replies