Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anybody collect Hot Wheels to go with Tiki?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Aloha,

I'm a happy Tiki camper today. Got a mug and a new Hot Wheels car in the same sale at Shagmart.

I know Sugar Caddy Daddy may have noticed.

Anybody else go "both ways" with Hot Wheels and Tiki?

L

I also collect Hot Wheels. My son got me started, he has boxes and boxes filled under his bed. He especially loves the shark cars but I only collect the '59 Caddys. Some day, I'll have the real thing-it's my dream car. I just couldn't rationalize spending $200 on one. I could buy/make so many lamps for that! I'm more fanatic about lamps than the Hot Wheels. I did try to talk myself into it by thinking it would be a nice item to pass down to my son when I go but he'll have enough crap to go through. It'll be a hell of an estate sale.

If you collect Hot Wheels you must go see the exhibit at the Peterson Auto Museum in LA. There are tons of cars, including the most expensive Hot Wheels ever, on display. Some are even life size! Since I have a few older siblings, we were remembering all the cool 60's cars we drove through the dirt and demolished in our yard. Hind sight is 20/20!

Weird, a life-size Hot Wheels car? How is it different from just a plain old car? I wonder if it's cheaper to make a giant Hot Wheels car or to take a real car & just replace the windshield & seats with plastic, throw a plastic plate on the underside of the car, and give it a fancy paintjob. Laney, do you know of any pics of the life-size Hot Wheels cars, I'm fascinated by what distinguishes them.

L

Actually they are real cars-one of a kind though-Hot Wheels chose to model cars after. I guess I should have explained better, gosh?

Aw, that does make more sense, but's not as much fun. I like the idea of someone intentially smoothing out some of the detail on a real car to make it look like a blown-up model. Guess I'm goofy that way.

L

Here's a link
http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?docid=1021
Check out the photos-my favorite was the Deora, the front opens like a big door. I think that may be one car/truck that would replace a '59 Caddy convert. for me. We played with the toy size when I was a kid.
http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?DocID=1008&cat=Hot%20Wheels%20Hall%20Of%20Fame&ExhibitID=189&index=3

Behind the Twin Mill (my son's favorite) you can see the wall of Hot Wheels, they went from oldest to current. That was fun to go through-like the collectors books come to life.

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-10-22 11:35 ]

Aloha, Laney!

I am in full agreement about the coolness of the '59 Caddy. If only my budget fit my desire.

I went through the Petersen earlier this month, loved the Hot Wheels section. My kids kept running from car to car yelling, "Hey! I have that one!"

Beautiful cars there. If I had to pick the Tiki-est car, I'd say it was that purple ultra low rider "Scrape/Zephyr".

They are having the official unveiling of a real Deora II on Nov. 11, with special Hot Wheels cars to give out, etc.

The info is at http://www.hotwheelscollectors.com

Hola, Humuhumu, my wife and I are big fans of your bar pics! I hope your new place will give you the same creative outlet!

There is a slight Tiki link with some other new Hot Wheels cars, as well. They make 5-packs that share a theme and they currently have a Tiki pack in the stores. I'll try to get pics. They also make alot of Hot Wheels cars with Hawaiian themed decos and lots with surf boards. I like the similar joy of Tiki and Hot Wheels.

We combine the two occassionally for racing and tropical drink parties. We make brackets like the NCAA basketball tourney and then have a 5 or 10 dollar buy in and then race, with prize money and door prizes to the top four finishers.

We've also been having Tiki parties at the Hot Wheels Conventions each year. I love bartending, so it gives me an outlet for my evil recipes, as well.

OK, ran long, out.

Pages: 1 6 replies