Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A Question about "Tiki Bobs" Mugs

Pages: 1 4 replies

So I've noticed that there are two different markings on the classic Tiki Bob mug. Some have the name - "Tiki Bobs, San Francisco" on the back of the mug inside of a little lei and some have it labeled on the side near the bottom in a plain white circle.
I'm just wondering if one is more desireable than the other, which is older, etc.
Does anyone have any info?
Mahalo,
:tiki:

M

My understanding is that the ones with the side markings came later, and those also eventually included Sacramento as well.

Cheap plug: I have an extra Tiki Bob's skull mug in excellent condition that I'm looking to trade. Send me a personal message if anyone's interested.

...and then there's this one- don't know when it was used. I thought the yellow lei ones were used after the side mark ones, but Martin probably knows better than I...

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/marked/aif

M

Hmmm...that's interesting. Now I'm confuddled. Well, I know that the one's that showed Sacramento were definitely on the side, and the Sacto location was opened right before the whole empire came crumbling down.

This looks like a good time to check with "Team WaterDog" AKA "AquaChihuahua" AKA R&N AKA...well, you know who I mean- they're the real Tiki Bob experts around here!

A

This looks like a good time to check with "Team WaterDog" AKA "AquaChihuahua" AKA R&N

Hey, I think I/we resemble that remark! Sadly, while Naomi and I may be high-ranking Tiki Bob fans, we are bottom-scraping collectors when it comes to original Tiki Bob stuff - just one matchbook and one S&P pair. So if you wanna discern the dates of a side-labeled smirking Sacramento specimen vs. a back-labeled big-eyed Bob, I can't help. If anyone's experiencing a space problem with too many Tiki Bob mugs though, we'd be happy to offer temporary or permanent storage facilities.

But cheers to Mike tikihula again for maintaining the great gallery of this stuff for everyone's perusal.

(Oh, and BTW, Martiki, we did go have a drink from the Lanai bartender guy working at the Villa Hotel. His name is Ali, and he's still there, but unfortunately he's pretty much forgotten the old recipes. Still worth a visit to go talk story with him though.)

-Randy

Pages: 1 4 replies