Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Our new sofa set!

Pages: 1 5 replies

The Spectacular East Indies Room is already undergoing expansion plans, to include a comfy lounging area. We recently picked up this late 40s Heywood Wakefield Ashcraft sofa/table set:

Though reupholstered, it does have its original spring cushions, a hard thing to come by!

A little quick history about HW Ashcraft furniture.... During WWII, Japan heavily bombed the port city where Heywood Wakefield obtained their rattan supply. HW relied on rattan for furniture manufacture during the war, as most furniture hardwood was being used to produce gun stocks. They came up with an American rattan substitute, a New England Ash wood that bends very much like rattan, and bound the joints with varnished twisted paper. The furniture was a huge success.

only 3 months young, and I'm already dismantling part of the Spectacular East Indies Room for expansion!

[ Edited by: Traderpup on 2003-10-21 13:25 ]

TraderP,

The couch set is nice. Interesting info on rattan during the Big War also.

Nice set Pup,
I really like the yellow upholstery...
Aloha,
:tiki:

S
SES posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2003 4:50 PM

NICE... Rattan sets are great looking. I finally bought one of those round rattan chairs at pier one and love it. Wish I had more space to fit a couch!

GGGOOOOAAAALLLL!!! Pup's room has to have the BEST LIGHTING that I've seen.

Heywood Wakefield? That stuff's usually pretty pricy. Did you score it at an estate sale or did you pay the price? Very nice, I must add.

Pages: 1 5 replies