Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

what makes good tiki art"

Pages: 1 33 replies

F

im interested in your opinions as tiki collectors,what do you look for in a" good "tiki painting is it the feel of the piece ?balance of color"?"true tiki"realism?im always looking to improve my work and i see some work that is not as tight as i like to paint [on other websites].not everybody paints the same but some work looks "too loose" i hope that didnt sound crappy but its just my observationt.thanks for any responses,matt

K

In a perfect world all artists, professional & amateur, would just paint to please themselves. Since I'm an amateur I have that freedom, but professionals have to earn a living.

As a collector who may buy from a professional, here's what I would look for in a tiki painting (of course not everyone has the same taste):

Not an entire rainbow of color in one painting - mainly browns & tans with a few touches of vibrant accent color - or mainly blues with a few vibrant touches (such as August Holland's Pearl of Wisdom). Mainly reds and oranges might be interesting too.

I would be interested in buying a painting that set an exotic, other-worldly mood. I like it better when the mood is set subtly rather than with hundreds of intricate details.

Lastly, as a practical matter, I would have to consider size and shape of the canvas before purchasing. I'm very particular that an object looks like it belongs in the room and belongs exactly where I put it. Are there enough "sofa size" tiki paintings on the market? If not, that might be something to consider.

I have to say that I really like every single painting I've ever seen posted on Tiki Central - I love all the color and detail if I'm "just browsing". But if I were actually going to buy something it would probably have to fit the above descriptions.

HL

Very nice suggestions.

Color is what seperates the Artist with a capital "A" from the sidewalk artshow variety. I can't tell you how many times I've seen great composition and technique ruined by horrible color choices.

I do a lot of commercial work (illustrations as well as websites and printed pieces) and one sure-fire way to ensure the piece will look good is to select a limited harmonious color palete from the start. Choose 5 or 6 non-primary base colors and mix and tint them as needed.

Style-wise, the sky's the limit. I like both Shag's work and more realistic work like Leetags. The important thing is to develop a style you like and stick with it. It can take awhile -- it took about 4-5 years for Shag to develop the style he uses now, but its obviously paid off for him.

yeah, it should match your couch.

K

On 2003-10-22 12:03, FLOUNDERart wrote:
yeah, it should match your couch.

Decorating is an art unto itself. It would be silly for someone to pass up a great painting they really love just because it doesn't go with the couch. The couch can be made to tie in with the painting with a new slipcover, or easier yet, accent pillows.

R
Rain posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 9:29 AM

i think the couch remark was sarcastic.

i also think that work with a "loose" quality doesn't necessarily prevent it from being good. i may suck, but it's not because of being loose - ever seen leonardo's sketches? loose. also unbelievably good. ::shrug:: it's a question of personal taste in aesthetics.

my two cents.

K

On 2003-10-26 09:29, Rain wrote:
i think the couch remark was sarcastic.

Yes, I picked up on that. How could I mention something so unsophisticated as "sofa size paintings" in the presence of art? I must have hit my head when I fell off the turnip truck.

R
Rain posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 11:12 AM

sorry, kc. pissy mood - shouldnt have brought it onto tc.

I think I know what you mean by "loose". I favor a "tighter" composition usually but sometimes a free and easy sketch really catches my eye.

I think what would make great tiki art is to get any of you painters drunk enough to volunteer to do an impromptu mural on my wall. Only I get to pick the wall. Leo Meiersdorff did a sketch on my folks bathroom wall while he was...er,in there.

What I have discovered as an artist is its very difficult for me to paint ''loose" and still get my idea out there.My friend can paint "very tight " it looks perfect then the next one will be very loose and it looks perfect.Who knew?Its nice to know he has the draftsmanship behind the brush.My problem might be learning to paint on the couch with Bob Ross instead of artschool.Thanks for the input,Matt

P.S. Rain you rule .I love ur work.matt

P.S. Rain you rule .I love ur work.matt

R
Rain posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 12:35 PM

nothing wrong with bob ross. :wink:

have you posted your stuff for us to view, matt?

i think i know what you mean now, too. some painters have a great drafting skill and less technique - some have more technique but less draftsmanship. others have both, some have neither.

art's weird. some of it has indefinable appeal that doesn't seem to fall under the painter's skill level. i don't know what the hell i'm talking about. i'm going back to sleep.

K

On 2003-10-26 11:12, Rain wrote:
sorry, kc

Good heavens, you didn't say anything to be sorry for.

I once tried to commission an artist friend to paint something to match my living room and he was appalled at the very idea. I should have known not to stick my finger in that same light socket again.

If I were lucky enough to have any real talent, I would only consider the taste of the general public if the house payment was late. Otherwise I'd paint whatever I darn well pleased.

Loose, tight, colorful, tonal, realistic, abstract, I like it all. Art makes the world a better place.

if you have been drinking blue hawaiians all night, and when you look at the painting it doesnt give you the spins, i think the little slice of paradise is working. that and all paintings should have ernest borgnine in them somewhere.
actually, hate to sound like a cheeseball(no i dont)its in the eye of the beholder. what flys for one, doesnt fly for the other. i am usually unhappy with my paintings, so that the only veiwers are the flys in the dumpster. if you have pleased yourself, than you know where the balance falls.

S
SES posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 1:33 PM

You can't second guess how people will react to your work. I'm always amazed at how popular some of the really bad art(to me anyway!) is with other people. Different strokes for different folks.

Create what you love and the customers will follow.

In stead of buying art that matches the couch we could paint the couch to match the art.

We all know what really makes good art is good marketing and politics.

Fish, paint what you love don't try to paint what you think others want, I went through the same thing and it just doesn't work that way.

Bob Ross is a god, well in Japan at least.

Kctiki, hope I didn't offend you.

Rain, get some sleep.

S
SES posted on Sun, Oct 26, 2003 6:04 PM

[ Edited by: SES on 2004-01-04 22:09 ]

K

On 2003-10-26 16:47, FLOUNDERart wrote:

Kctiki, hope I didn't offend you.

No, I'm not offended. I explained some of the factors that go into my decision to buy a painting, knowing my practical concern over where to hang it is irksome to many artists.

If I like something enough to buy it, I want to display it in a way that does it justice.

I would change the couch to go with the painting. Many people spend a lot more on a couch than they would ever consider spending on an original painting. But to me a couch is just something to sit on, I'd rather spend the money on a good painting.

"I'm always amazed at how popular some of the really bad art(to me anyway!) is with other people. Different strokes for different folks"

Wyland?

Im with you RevBambooBen.

I think what really bothers me is people who try to paint reallistic that can't. I think sometimes it's better for them to go a different route which is fine also.

I seen some stuff on ebay that sells like crazy and cant for the life of me figure it out!
Perhaps its just jealousy, the artist worst trait.

S
SES posted on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 4:57 AM

It's NOT jealousy.

The "art" is really BAD. It's just that those buyers like it... they even LOVE it. There is something for everyone. Please don't lower your standards to try to attract them! Go for the ones that love yours.

Luckily people have diverse taste!

Very good points about "bad"art selling like crazy and making artists like me feel jealous. Im satisfied when people respond to the work that I love to produce.Oh well "Painter of light "I am not,"Painter of fright" Ohhh Ya!

Here's another oldie that was at the bottom of the barrel. I think it's worth taken another look at especially with all the new artist hanging out in "Creating Tiki".

Opinions?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2005 8:06 AM

Well, art that gets my attention varies. Could be colour, could be what is actually in the picture, medium used etc.

Personally, I make art that I want to. There are still methods i want to play around with. I dont want to hone in on one specific style. I love it when people dig it, but dont mind too much if people dont. I'm having fun either way :)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2005 8:08 AM

Forgot to thank flounder "the topic archaeologist" for uncovering this one.

K
kirby posted on Sun, Jul 3, 2005 1:12 PM

On 2003-10-29 03:48, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Im with you RevBambooBen.

I think what really bothers me is people who try to paint reallistic that can't. I think sometimes it's better for them to go a different route which is fine also.

I seen some stuff on ebay that sells like crazy and cant for the life of me figure it out!
Perhaps its just jealousy, the artist worst trait.

My art sucks and im not selling like crazy, so dont be jealous flounder...kirby

And also for those artist who are selling like crazy but seem to have no talent in your book, thats accualy a good thing because who ever is buying ther art, it makes them happy and you cant blame the artist for that.

On 2005-07-03 07:40, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Here's another oldie that was at the bottom of the barrel. I think it's worth taken another look at especially with all the new artist hanging out in "Creating Tiki".

Opinions?

My thoughts:
Art is like friendship, your attracted to your
friends becouse they have a certian personality trate that you mix with and enjoy for the most part. Sum people have more friends or are more "popular" becouse they are simply cooler, talentet, richer, or good looking, others are just popular because they have a great pesonality and have the drive to make others happy no matter what it takes.

In my case ,I might not be the most talented artist out there. but i have the drive to be a better artist and try to make people happy no matter what it takes. If you like me cool, If not, there is someone who will.

Flounder your an awsome artist so keep it up...

[ Edited by: kirby on 2005-07-03 13:13 ]

[ Edited by: kirby on 2005-07-03 13:23 ]

S

Interesting resurection of a topic Flounder.

Being a collector of tiki paintings more so than mugs (although we have our share), I will offer my perspective.

I agree with Flounder that a lot of what is selling on e-bay is impressive only in the fact that it is selling at all. If I enter "tiki painting" in a search, I will almost never find anything that interests me.

But more credit to those individuals, I am never too happy with my personal tiki paintings, they always end up in some closet, and rarely on the wall. I certainly have not had the balls to post them here, amongst the truly talented artists.

For us, when we purchase paintings, it is a combo of many things, color, mood, style. Bottom line is whether we like it. With all the recent tiki art shows, tiki art books etc, there is a lot of tiki art out there that we like and find interesting, but a much smaller amount that we would actually like to have hanging on the wall. Price plays a role, a painting can be a lot more expensive than a twenty dollar mug, but if I like the painting, then it is generally worth the price. Having something someone created on the wall, means more to me than a mug, especially when you know or are friends with the artist. Each painting on our wall has a special story or meaning, a gift from a friend, frame by another friend, anniversary gift, commission, wedding present, graduation, etc...

I do not think there is a "Tiki Painting Formula" or any "painting formula" for that matter. Paint what you like, your style, and makes you happy. As I look over this post, it is probably useless info for the artists, and did not address the original question.

Just keep painting, everyday I walk around and look at the art in our house and it makes me so happy. It is a powerful gift an artist has to create something from nothing and effect people so strongly. There is a lot of talent here on TC, please do not stop.

And we also like non-tiki art, so Flounder and Kooch-e, keep doing your thing! I am sure we can find a non-tiki corner in the house and get some more of your art on the walls.

I'm just glad I picked up the brush again! Whether people like my artistic approach or not is no matter, because I am on a personal quest. I remember switching majors from fine art to illustration and was called a "sellout" by fellow fine art majors. My point was to learn the techniques in art school and create my fine art for myself and no others. I also declared not to take my art seriously until I had some life experience under my belt. Now, years later, I create art at work to earn a living and my "fine art" is all mine and not influenced by "the market" or trends in taste. And, of course, my favorite subject is tiki! If someone likes a piece then great! If they don't, great too!

T

Art... I really hate that word. I have a fine art degree and was fooled into thinking that Fine Art was so much better than the commercial world, but when it came down to it... galleries are businesses. A "fine artist" must market the heck out of themselves to survive. The video projections, and ambient noise installations I was doing was just entertainment. Thats all artwork is.. entertainment. If you're painting, you're creating a world for people to visit. If you're sculpting/carving, you're creating an object that comes from that world you create. I use to believe that it was rediculous that people would match a painting to their couch or wall color, (remember Basquiet's movie about him). But then ultimatelly, that is where it ends up.. on the wall, next to the couch. I think artists do amazing things, and am constantly wondering what other artists are up to, but I don't think we're so far above the profession of interior decorating. I believe it was the academic world that boosted their/our own egos about how great artists are. Its just a proffession, or a hobby. Realizing that the fine-art world is just a business, turned me to what I was already doing on the weekends... carve tikis. Oh, and paint the way you want... entertain yourself.. thats what I live by.

You nailed it Tony!

Agreed! Well said Tony.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Jul 5, 2005 8:30 PM

What's good!! Easy. Its a painting that you like looking at more than once. It looks good up close and seperately looks great from afar.

Make what you like, but good art is good art to many. Art is the univeral language. There is a formula to help create good art. its the tools much like the paint brush.

And Flounder, yep, hes got the tools and put in that work.

T

Some excellent points, Tony. I, too, hate that word, "art". The inherant "problem" with art as a profession is that many people look upon it as an extravegance or luxury and is therefore either unattainable or expendable. We don't need artists the way we need doctors or accountants or firemen. They are not essential for most peoples' survival in the modern world. It's ironic, really, since all the true artists I know ultimately feel that producing art is necessary for their own survival, financial or otherwise.

Asking what is "good" art is like asking "What's the best song ever?" It's highly subjective, to say the least. Many people don't want to think about art and just want to be transported to a place or time or feeling, hence the success of the Wylands and Kincades. Personaly, I enjoy seeing the artists' thought process, the seed of their idea and how that idea gets expressed. I like that they made something with their hands and mind. I especially like it if I know or have met the artist - it personalizes the work for me and creates more of an attachment.

Pages: 1 33 replies