Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Diablo carves for OA !

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies

A tiki I carved for the Forbidden Island (8" tall)

A cook I carved up for Oasis

A shrunken head shadow box with changing color LED lights illuminating it. Did this a couple of months back. Not sure if I shared it with y'all.

Here is a place I just finished up in Vegas. Fremont and Vegas blvd called Mickie Finnz and is next to Henneseys Tavern. This place is not traditional Tiki, but is more socal surf theme. The big schindig is next thursday March 23rd. I had a good time on this project and am totally wiped out with the hours worked.

Did more finishing details here and there that aren't pictured.

A lil tiki I carved a while back I guess it is about time I show some of my work to get the new folks familiar with my stuff.

some lights I made for a new place opening up in Redondo next to Hennessey's . I am doing a ew things for them and will keep y;all posted as I wrap it up.

all finished up.

So sometimes you have to carve a tiki that you are not so excited about. The client picks a style of tiki that is not one that particularly "calls" to you. I was asked to carve a tiki with some of the flavor like the horse-face one BOT pg 109. I mixed this with my own eye and came out with this. It is out of my usual style, but I like it now. Oh it is OVER 9.5 FEET TALL! Point Break tiki is almost done. PCH in Redondo Beach. I'll post more pics as I progress, but it'll be done for a monday delivery.

oh, here is a new shiftknob I am doing as well.

Y'all didn't know I can sew, well I can so there! This is a buddies car that I helped out with on the interior design and construction. He did everything else from scratch! Cool huh? Ivan used to work for Monster Garage for a few years, and now does cars full-time.

these two go together now.

I have her till next week.

gave this one to the folks at OA

these guys belong to the TikiPugs.

Can Miles paint or what? Thanks for letting me be a part of the Tiki Ti history.

Some early carvings. This one was my first palm-wood done with all powertools(chainsaw and grinder)

Pine tiki with tung oil finish, also powertools. This had a queen palm base and was done for The Brown Pelican in SB.

Hardwood moai and yes, powertools too.

First tiki I broke the new chisels out for. I think this heavy-ass 4ft tiki was eucalytus wood.

T.O. in the house! Bongo Fury time.

5ft of tiki "gumbo"
4ftmarq

casa de changito's tiki

me and Ben crossed paths on this job
Randy and Naomi's wedding Bob
6ft tiki. Making a mug from this design

marquesan drum coffee table

4ft tiki w/3D luau carving on the base. wasn't ready to sell this one.

Carved and hollowed out from a single huge palm. The World's Largest Tiki Mug. approx. 50 gallon capacity!

TikiBongsta's 4 footer

a few more hours put into detail after this photo. lives in SFO now.

some of my tiki/mod lamps

And for my masterpiece. A life-sized carving of joSH AGle! Notice the detail and use of color. Coors light can is also hand-carved.

this is an outdoor bar I make. Decorated with surfboard stringer-look top.

First played with the tropi/mod look for Oasis III. Orange stained birch and bamboo for that SHAG look. I emulated that effect that he does on the backgrond of his paintings on the front and sides of the bar.
Wangi bamboo was used to break up all that orange, and it looks SHAG-ish to me, so...

I've been vibing the tropical/modern look. This is what came out of the oven. I used a fine weave lauhala covering for the top.

"maori spiral" style bar

This bar back was made to hold that animated evil-looking tikiroom thing/art piece.

I'll stick to carving, but you have to at least try.

Restroom signs( wahine is from BOT)

Judd"your bud" aka "Weird Uncle Tiki" acquired this from his grandmother with questionable tactics.

Futura Girl owns this one. I raffled it off one night at the Lava Lounge, she told me she wanted it before the raffle, and as luck would have it, SHE WON! We kinda came up with the idea of doing a show together in the future since our paintings are inspired by matchbook art.

Thanks for looking TC peeps.

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-05-18 09:59 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2006-05-18 10:02 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2007-03-19 20:26 ]

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 2:43 PM

about time!! eh that desk is cherry my friend!

Danny, obviously you are a great carver. I love your work. Looks like I'm gonna have to get one of yours now. I could probably afford one next year as I'm gettin one from BK next. Jeez, this is getting expensive, but it sure beats a drug addiction.

P

Fantastic work - very authentic.

You know, your giant mug has me wondering...

...I'm in need of a very large centerpiece punch bowl resembling a hollowed out log - that would run about 3 feet long and a foot and a half or two wide with a Polynesian look to it that is similar to your work.

Would you be interested in doing this? Any of the other carvers?

I'd like about a 6 gallon capacity or more.

Further - can I have it by tomorrow morning?

You produce incredible work Chiki. Some of the best on this group. That 4 legged table is terrific. You have a keen eye for design and originality.

Keep it up bro.

Awesome work as usual bro! Put up some pics of your mugs!!

Yeah, mug pics!
LOVE that drum table.

What can I say, Chiki...they're all just f*cking killer! You carve with style, man...like Jay Adams skates, like Sammy Davis sang.

Thanks for the props ladies and gents.

Damn, Danny, that's some of the finest carving I've ever seen. Thanks for finally posting these. You have a very bold & recognizable style that I just love. I will own a big one someday, but for now I'll have to settle for one of those necklaces. :) How can I get one?

In the mean time, I'll have to live with the awesome wedding plaque you gave to us at the Oasis. Thanks again - we enjoy it every day.

OOOH! How much for something like that barrel table/lamp? I'll start saving my nickels now.

WOW that Shag is AMAZING! One little mistake ...Shag doesn't wear that kind of watch. Good try, tho'. :D

Even Shag's glasses look real. You're damn good Chiki!

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2003-12-26 09:38 ]

T

amazing dude, i love to see all the diverse stuff. Your work looks like it fell off an 18th century expedition boat that just ransacked a villiage. yeah, f.o.b. i think there was a club at my highschool called that. :tiki:

OOOOOOOH yeah! That second bar is slick!

K

Chiki,

Nice stuff. When are you gonna get moving on that mug? It's one of the nicest designs I've seen!!!

TM

Thanks for sharing. Your work is spectacular!

Thanks again, I'm movining on this mug and some others for Dec debut.

S

Beautiful work, Danny! As always, your carvings are first rate. I love those tables, man!

Thanks for sharing those pix. Can't wait to see some of that stuff in person.

I had a great time at the Tiki Ti last night debuting the original painting and prints with the gang.Thanks MT!

Danny,
Wow! I had no idea that the stuff you brought to the Blue Hawaiians show was just the tip of the iceberg. Love the Moai key chain you gave me (looks just like the one in the picture you posted). The way that Moai is smirking with his mouth to one side, he looks kind of like George W. Bush!

M

danny,
so great to meetcha at tiki ti -- my pal miles waxed poetic about your stuff, and darned if he wasnt right on the money --

i have to say, your frame made mike and mike smile BIG -- and now its part of the wonderful treasure trove that is the Tiki Ti.
you're an awfully young dude to be such an artisan, i cant wait to see what comes next!!

how awesome would a miles/danny gallery show be? sculpture/paintings/crossovers/chichis?

Andreeeww! The pleasure was all mine, your art is incredible my friend. I've got a ways to go to get even close to Miles' and your level of art. For now I'l stick to being Miles' framer. Thankyou pardner.

yes, it's true... i own a chiki tiki original painting... i loved the piece so much i jumped up and down and screamed like i was on the price is right when i won - and i meant it! it hangs proudly in our tiki dining room.
Chiki - i had no idea you were so prolific. so many great pictures!

hey don't forget we gotta a big ole pine log waiting for you to pick up soon... hint hint...

I'm coming MM, I'm a coming. It should be alot lighter by now.

this is the one I was telling you about Tony.

I want this....

haydiablo... someone posted a nice friendly response to your post on lotta living! of course it was a tiki centralite :)

anyway - your stuff is so great and we HAVE to do the world record for largest mai tai

check out my post on it: https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7508&forum=1

Quote"
Carved and hollowed out from a single huge palm. The World's Largest Tiki Mug. approx. 50 gallon capacity!

See it at http://www.winkytiki.com

I Like how they used the beautiful woman for a garnishment in that huge mug!! Thats got to be one hell of a Mai Tai.

B

Another one Blows me away. Really cool work,nice.
Love the Table, Lamps and the Tiki stool is awsome.Keep 'em coming
Benzart

Wow - very nice work.

You rock, love the carvings!

S

How did I miss this before? That frame for Miles' work is deistracting! Your Marquesan stuff is a dream. Really nice.

Okay Chiki, for some reason I have to try to make a bigger one, (some things just can't go unchallenged.) I like BIG tikis and since I might be buying a skid-steer loader this year, might as well put it to good use. What kind of wood did you use? Are you really going to put Mai Tai's in it? and drink out of it?

C

Holy moly how did I miss this post?
what a collection! Every piece is amazing. Totally diggin' your furniture. Geez, what else can one say. You rule.
thanks for sharing theses pics with us.
What are your thoughts and experience on carvin Eucalyptus. We have those logs laying around all over the place up here.

K
kooche posted on Sun, Feb 1, 2004 9:36 PM

my goodness gracious! dude...how much ass does a guy have to kick until he's kicked enough?

you sicken me with your raw talent my main man!

SICK WIZARDRY!

tnx 4 sharin!

Man...I've been saying that all along...Chiki is top dog in this junkyard.

Thanks folks for the props. JT, but palm , of course! Eucalyptus is heavy and hard as hellbut has a beaut grain. I believe it tends to crack alot too. BK I've been called a Dog before, hehehe,but I am not the top. That's fo sho!

B

Gotta say it again,, Unbelievable, I really love your Lines, the way you bring things together, That Eucalyptus IS Very hard wood and has a Nice grain. I've seen the color grom a Purpilish red to the Bright Yellow. Those logs cut into 4 # slabs make great garden Stepping stones, carving the wood almost Always Kills tools and ends up with Deep checks. Pretty wood though.
We need more Pictures, No holdin' out.

Chiki, so then if you are pouring anything into it, (with palm or euc.) you'll need a container or liner to go into the largest mug. Liquid will seep right thru palm and euc is poisonous.

(I've been referring to the giant mug brah....what kind of wood?)

Now back to mai tai wishes and calamari dreams.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2004-02-02 09:02 ]

M

Man, everything you've shown on here is absolutely fantastic!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Matt

Damn, Chiki, save one uh dem mugs fo me! You'll be at Oasis Thursday, right?! I'm gettin in line early!
And that frame for Miles' Tiki Ti art: It kicks so much ass I had to borrow some more ass to be kicked. Great work!
Now if I could just afford one of those tiki stools to rest my over-kicked ass on!

Thanks Rich, I will post pics of the test glazes soon so y'all can see. The colors I am trying are a satin black outside witha lime green inside and a true green translucent with a muted corvette yellow.

Great Mug Chiki. Unfortunately, from you I expect nothing less than top notch work.

Excellent.

Hasta Luego "Hawaiiano"
Hablamos.

I posted pics of the glazed mugs in the collecting forum. Too much crap to do now but will post the pics here later.

Fred (suicide Sam owns the table at the beginning.

T

DG~! Your work is just amazing, I REALLY feel bad now even asking you to consider doing a mug for my event. Is there anything that you cannot make into a tiki?? Maybe I should come work for you, need a delivery guy?. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies