Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

AO(hell!!!)L for Broadband............

Pages: 1 7 replies

.......What the F*C! is up!!?? I get this service, everything is grand at first ( 2 weeks!!!), then it all turns to shit! It boots me off like 15 times a day! Tonight, 10 mins on and I get the BOOT!( i'm on the good ol' dial up up now) AOL says it's the cable company, Time Warner. Time Warner says it's AOL! Meanwile they get 59$$ a month!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I complain 2-3 times a day!! They say, check your connections... THEYR"E CONNECTED!!!

I'm pleading for any of you out there in computerland to help!!! This is driving me insane! Are any of you having the same problems?? Where do I go? What do I do? Who do I change to? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!............

Ben,
AOL is universaly reviled by the tech community. Yours is not the first frustrating story I have heard about AOL. I only have a small list of complaints for my current dsl provider SBC, Yahoo. You could give them a shot.
Mahalo,
Al

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-10-27 11:01 ]

Been with Earthlink for 4 years, no complaints. But I've heard plenty of complaints from customers and friends alike about AOL.

rev,
I can't confirm, but I have heard that the AOL software only works good when your on AOL and no where else. It sounds just the way they have played in the past.

A

There's a couple viruses that can cause you to be kicked off like that. Try going to http://www.symantec.com/ and looking up your symptoms. There also may be a conflict with another program that is running in the background. Or the age old question - do you have enough RAM?

We signed up for SBC DSL and had nothing but problems for 3 weeks and then switched to AOL DSL (which still has to run through the SBC lines of course) and have been very happy with them.
Good luck,
A

[ Edited by: Andrew on 2003-10-23 10:14 ]

Is it AOL Broadband with DSL service? If so are there filters on the lines that aren't used for the connection? It's pretty common for two service providers to pass the buck off to the other one. It's even funnier when they are both part of the same company, http://www.aoltimewarner.com/

You're not alone though BB,
some others

some AOL+ advice

GOOD LUCK

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2003-10-23 10:40 ]

T

DSL provider quality varies a lot by region.

At work I have us on XO.com and have had for many years with very few problems. I think it's gone down only twice in years and only for a brief period. But they're not the cheapest.

Go to dslreports.com and check the reviews of providers in your area (use the "find" link on the home page). Speakeasy.net is often rated the highest for reliability but it's a bit more expensive than others. Meaning you still might pay $50/month but for slower speeds (384K vs. 1.5G). But what good is 1.5G if you can't connect half the time?

Pages: 1 7 replies