Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

eBay: eBay ridiculosity: $200 Tretchikoff "Green Lady"

Pages: 1 4 replies

M
mig posted on Thu, Oct 23, 2003 11:01 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3632279024&category=20133&rd=1

Ends in two days. Starting bid of $189, BIN of $209. No nibbles yet. I really hope nobody is dumb enough to go for it.

-mig

R

Replicas like this are common in South East Asia. I have found the best place to buy them is in Saigon. A piece like this of this size would probably cost you around $50 maybe less. I bought a 10"X16" oil of an oddly kinky Tin Tin scene for $10. Some are of stunning quality and all genres are reproduced. Though I don't think I saw my favorite, hula girls on black velvet :P I bought a small 11' X 8' black velvet in Thailand this trip for $5, but it was of an Indochina scene, so not really tiki. I was hoping to see more in the P.I. when I returned the second time, but did not or I would have had a bunch of tiki/hula girl scenes made up. Phnom Penh also has a lot of oils available, but most are of Angkor Wat scenes, (I bought a 18"X24" of Bayon for $10) though there was some nice semi nude Khmer water girl pieces. :o :D

M
mig posted on Fri, Oct 24, 2003 12:31 PM

I was just so flabbergasted at these prices that I wrote the seller saying "no offense, but you are out of your mind." I said that a starting bid of $25 and a reserve or BIN of $35 or $45 was much more realistic. (I've gotten the Tretchikoffs on eBay for $30 each.)

The person that got the email forwarded it to someone else (haha! I'm making waves) and collectively, they wrote me back saying: "you must think this is a poster. It's not. It's a high-quality reproduction on canvas."

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

M
mig posted on Mon, Oct 27, 2003 10:53 PM

It gets better! The auction ended with no bidders. So they've relisted it with a Buy it Now of $169. I failed to notice the REALLY interesting thing before-- that this isn't even one of the old Tretchikoff reproductions, it is one of their OWN! Produced by them! Good lord.

[ Edited by: mig on 2003-10-27 22:58 ]

T

Time to bring my Lee Teg into work and slap it on da colour copier!

Ha ha

When you think of the amount of effort some people put into these scams... they probably could have found 3 real tretchikoffs to sell if they went looking, instead of dicking people around making fake ones!

Pages: 1 4 replies