Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Celtic Hapa Haole

Pages: 1 13 replies

This is something I mentioned in a Beyond Tiki thread, but I want to make sure it gets seen.

I'm trying to compile a list of hapa haole songs written by composers of Celtic descent.
(ex. Little Brown Gal by Don McDiarmid). Anybody have anything?

That's a tough one!
And a weird one. Any reason why? Or are you just setting yourself a new challenge?

I'll think about it...

S

The story I told in the Isolated Tikiphiles thread about the Hawaii Kai restaurant in my town was owned by a woman that is Irish/Hawaiian, and was a professional polynesian entertainer in Hawaii for many years!

On 2003-10-27 10:13, tikifish wrote:
That's a tough one!
And a weird one. Any reason why? Or are you just setting yourself a new challenge?

I'll think about it...

I want to see if there's enough of it to build a little project with. And I do love the weird ones...

Alex Anderson sounds like Scandinavian or English descent but he wrote a tune called Mele Kalikimaka performed on the Decca label by the Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby. It's on the Merry Christmas Bing Crosby album
DL 78128

PJ,

Check out http://www.huapala.org it's a website devoted to Hawaiian music. It has lyrics to 100's of songs as well as the composer's name, hence see if they're a 'Mc' or an 'O'.

I've used it a number of times to get lyrics for tunes we do.

Sincerely,

Bong Mc Haukau o'hala hana e lele a'oua ke a'ne

I went through all the pages last night and then tried to find bios for the promising sounding names.

Oh yeah, bio info is needed too.

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2003-10-27 11:50 ]

I

I don't think I can help you, but here's a nice pic of caber tossing in Kapiolani Park, with Diamond Head in the backfground:

E

On 2003-10-27 11:06, Sneakytiki wrote:
Alex Anderson sounds like Scandinavian or English descent but he wrote a tune called Mele Kalikimaka performed on the Decca label by the Andrew Sisters and Bing Crosby. It's on the Merry Christmas Bing Crosby album
DL 78128

Anderson is a Scottish name. In the 7th century a Norseman named Ketil Flatnose settled in Applecross on the West coast or Ross, and from him descended a line of hereditary abbots of the abbey there named Macgilleandreis, the "Sons of the Servant of St. Andrew", Andrew being patron saint of Scotland after Kenneth MacAlpin saw an X-shaped cross of clouds against the blue sky just before defeating the Northumbrians in a critical battle for Scottish independece in the 9th century. Thus the Scottish flag of a white X cross (like the one Andrew was crucified on) against a blue background. Anderson is the Anglicization of Macgilleandreis or MacAndrew, the Scandinavian variant is Andersen (not related).

Ask an Anderson!

Albainn gu braith,
emspace.

See, that's the trouble with the Celts...no pride or passion. :wink:

em, I'm guessing your bonnet's a bit blue?

the "O'" in an Irish name means that they're a descendant of the bastard side of the family. no lies!

E

On 2003-10-29 13:15, purple jade wrote:
See, that's the trouble with the Celts...no pride or passion. :wink:

em, I'm guessing your bonnet's a bit blue?

Mm-hmm, plenty of Irish too.
:)
em.

Nice work Em-space! u know yer stuff!

E

From memory, too!

:)
emspace the human encyclo-whatchamacallit.

Pages: 1 13 replies