Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Proper way to hang spears?

Pages: 1 15 replies

This may be the silliest question ever.

I have two spears that I saved from the wreckage of the Kahiki and I want to hang them up. They are made of bamboo with metal heads, and I want to hang them in an "X", with masks on top, bottom, and each side.

Which way should the heads point? Up, down, one up, one down, both to one side? Is there a proper way to do it or does it matter?

Google searches for "hanging spears" and "mounting spears" only turn up a some fascinating photos of Britney Spears.

Oh my aching head!

I looked at some weaponry shop and museum sites and it appears that both points go up.

i think the question you are asking is how to properly mount them, and it seems like the answer lies within your own research. it will require 5 minute epoxy, a small turnip, and the spears of course(metal bamboo and brittany).
sounds like a question for BK, seems like he has the weapon mounting down.

My guess, simply point them up in a V shape position.

HL

I simply crossed mine (both points up) and bound the spears together by lashing them with natural looking twine. It's looks great and you don't mar the spears with screws or nails.

Question: "Proper way to hang spears?"

I'd say, by her nipples.

Would that count as "points up"?

This also puts a new spin on "lashing them with natural looking twine" & "don't mar the spears with screws or nails"!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2003-10-31 13:04 ]

I drill a tiny hole through at two unnoticeable points on each and hang them with a very small brad or bank pin then color the top of either so it is almost invisible. Clean and nice. You can stick wax or wood fill the small holes if you should ever take the spear or arrows down.

excellent advice! now, can anybody advise me how to best lunge spears at my enemies?

Why yes I can!

Pointy side towards them.

TC

On 2003-10-31 23:08, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Why yes I can!

Pointy side towards them.

ooohh! so that's what i've been doing wrong!

silly me.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-11-01 08:19 ]

BUMP

Any advice on hanging a big war club without putting any holes in it? Rather not hang it by a piece of rope either. I'd hate to use a big, ol' garage hook in the Bora Bora Basement but I don't want little Harry to have it fall on his head either. Or maybe steel hooks if I rusty them up first(?)

In my very unscientific research (I asked grammy and grampy, they have been around since the dinosaurs...) I have the following to offer:

Pointed weapons should have thier points up to signify peace and readyness. If hanging them horizontally, the points should point away from the 'center' of the house with the center being the part where you live. They should point away from the bedrooms or towards the kitchen (no explination for that one).

As for other weaponry, I would treat clubs the same and place anything high enough to be child safe but not so high that you couldn't grab them in the middle of filming a fight scene in a movie.

S

On 2007-06-21 03:19, pappythesailor wrote:
BUMP

Any advice on hanging a big war club without putting any holes in it? Rather not hang it by a piece of rope either. I'd hate to use a big, ol' garage hook in the Bora Bora Basement but I don't want little Harry to have it fall on his head either. Or maybe steel hooks if I rusty them up first(?)

It is tricky. At Hale Tiki we had to attach stuff to the walls so it would not walk out, and make it pretty hard to see how it was hung. We had to wrap black wire around pieces and screw it to the wall that way. You screw the wire to the wall and then wrap the free end around the shaft and up over the end in the wall and then bring it down around it, if that makes sense. Done right, it gets the piece really close tothe wall and it will not come down. And it is just the bent wire holding in place, so it will come down pretty easy. No serious knots or anything.

Screw wire to wall, loose end down. Center spear shaft over screw. Wrap the wire up and around and bring it down behind the spear, and get it all snug. Then trun the wire back up so that it is wrapped around the wire where it comes out of the wall. Snip off the extra wire and bend it out of sight.

But what if someone from a neighboring island breaks in in the middle of a Mai Tai and wants my head? I'd have to be fishing around for the wire cutters.

I want to add the safety tip of never hanging anything sharp and pointy where it might fall and spear anyone. (So not over a bed where say a small earthquake could jiggle it free....) The wall were shakin', The earth was quaking....

Pages: 1 15 replies