Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Palmwood questions

Pages: 1 7 replies

I posted this before the last day the "carving post" was open and got no replies. Thought I would try again with new format. Logs are looking good so far, no cracks, mold ect...about 30 days since cut down. Took a 6mm #4 Henry Taylor through the hand couple weeks back, so been easy not to carve. Hands healed now and I'm ready. Working on some Ash and Walnut right now. Any help on carving the big guys appreciated.
Aloha

Have been carving small Tiki's by hand for a couple months now and came across a great score. Found someone chopping down 2 Coconut Palms about 15 feet each, with 24 inch diameter at trunk (Trunk is much fatter than top 13 feet), rest of tree about 12 inch in diameter. Got 4-4 foot logs about 12 inch diameter and 2-2 foot trunks about 24 inch diameter out of it. Beautiful wood, striaght, smooth ect... Very fresh. Each piece wieghs about 4-600 pounds. How much will they wiegh when fully dried? How long will it take? I have been through this Carving Post and garnered it's info. My only reference on the subject, any more help is Very appreciated. My first understanding was I would need to seal the cut ends to slow drying and prevent cracking. One post however mentions this is no use for Palms. My plan is to let logs dry 3-12 months, probobly try first one in 3 months. Leave bark on until carving, yes? Will not be using any power tools unless absolutely necasary. These were grown in South Florida, are there differences between these and the ones I from Hawaii? I'm used to carving fully dried Hardwoods, what don't I know I need to know? Have lots of Gouges, a good mallet and a chissel or 2, some good knives. Can't wait to carve into these but want to do them right, have great hopes for this wood. I would really appreciate any pointers with this wood. They will be stored in a open air garage, no rain will get in, but Florida's hot, humid envirement will be drying them. Should I do something to prevent mold now? I fear and am alergic to some Molds. Mahalo and hope to show you all one of these logs, carved, at next years Hukilau...my stomping grounds.

Mahalo, -Higi

TM

Sounds like a great find! We don't get much coconut up here on the Space Coast - but when we do the tikis always turn out gorgeous. Rich, deep, brown color and easy to carve too. Anyway, your drying plan is a pretty good one. I'd recommend at least six months curing, even longer for thicker stock. Ideally, one year is probably closer to a "full cure". If you skin the palm it will certainly cure faster but you risk cracks. Some cracking is normal and adds character to the tiki...right? Anyway, in Florida mold happens. You can always treat mold with a bleach-water solution. As far as tools are concerned; you'll find palmwood is very fiberous. Against the grain is easy and clean, with the grain and your problems will begin. Standard hardwood chisels are fine, it's your technique that will need modification. Best of luck!

Tiki Mon

Yup

ditto

B

I think it must be just about time to carve these logs. How About it McDougall?

Yeah, I remember reading this thread when I first joined gathering information through the archives...

How about it Mcdougal? Those trunks do sound awfully inviting. Got any pics?

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-06-25 18:40 ]

Those dang logs! 3 of them rotted on me, they are just so big they won't dry. The 2 stumps will likely be ok though and I should start in on one. They are at a friends house and I do most of my carving at home so I kinda forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder I have to get over there and start carving. I have been busy carving hardwoods however.

B

Bring one up here and I'll help you carve it. I'm only an hour and 20 minutes away..

Pages: 1 7 replies