Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

additions from Oceanic Arts and Hukilau

Pages: 1 5 replies

I

Some more pics to share with you ....

1. On my recent trip to Los Angeles, I stopped at Oceanic Arts, and purchased the following carving. I believe it was carved somewhere else than Oceanic Arts, but they were offering it for sale in their 'used' section. It is four feet long, and weighs about 15 pounds. I have no idea of what this type of shark hunting is called ... anybody know?

1. And while I'm at it, I thought I would show a picture of a purchase from this past Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale. The ukulele playing Betty Page in flames was done by Josh at Kreepy Tiki. Since I took this picture, I've lowered Betty by a few inches so it looks more like she is sitting on top of the bar.

1. And here is a closeup of the Betty Page item. I knew as soon as I saw it that it would look great next to the flames and the sweating Elvis of my Charles Burns 'Elvis in Hell' print. ( I imagine Elvis thinking .... forget Priscella - I want Betty!)

No tikis in any of them, but they somehow all fit into the late 50's Polynesian theme ..... or at least my interpretation of it.

Vern

She is pretty, but I don't think she's Betty.

Looks great next to the sweatin' Elvis!

I

Thanks ... it is always fun to see the source material for a painting. I have a few of those pinup calendar pages myself (Miss March 1955 is displayed above my stove), but I had never seen that particular page.

Betty, Miss July ... either way, in this household, Elvis is doomed to Hell.

Vern

That Elvis print is tip top. VERY NICE!

T

Looking pretty swanky there Vern. I am gonna have to make it out there sometime.

R

Is the hula girl a painting or is it a sculpture? It looks almost 3 dimentional.

Pages: 1 5 replies