Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kahiki - No plans to reopen restaurant!

Pages: 1 7 replies

There was a debate awhile back about the Kahiki ever reopening their doors for business. I just noticed on their webpage that they've made a statement about that particular subject and quote it as follows:

"One of the most frequently asked questions by visitors to our website is: “When is the Kahiki Restaurant going to reopen?”

The answer: Right now, we have no plans to build a new restaurant. Today, our sole focus is on growing our frozen food and shelf stable sauce business."

http://www.kahiki.com/news.cfm

Well, there you have it.

Yep, I was worried that this might be the case. When they were willing to sell the land and close the original restaurant, I was thinkin that meant they really don't care much about running a restaurant anymore. So, building a new one would be way too much money and effort for them....frozen food is much easier, and more profitable.

And profit is the ONLY thing that companies care about!!

It's a sad day for us....

"Profit is the only thing that companies care about." That is, after all their reason for existence :)

T

Wow, have we been taken for a ride! The Kahiki sells out to Walgreen's in order to get the money to start a line of frozen food, make everyone think they will open another Kahiki by saying so in the media, though they never intended to. Do we feel like a bunch of tiki-crazy suckers or what? We should throw that bastard Michael Tsao into a volcano!

S

They already had their frozen foods, etc. business. I guess they just looked at the numbers and decided re-opening the restaurant was not worth it. But it seems like they could throw us some kind of bone. Maybe remodel their factory tiki-style.

I live about 5 miles from where they store all the Kahiki artifacts from the resturant. It's in a real crappy warehouse district by the airport. what a waste that all that cool stuff is just collecting dust. He said that everything inside was stored, But I stumble across stuff around town all the time at junk stores and antique stores like tables,chairs,lamps,etc. makes me wonder what all he REALLY kept. I will have to see if I can find it but there was a story in the local paper awile back about the re-opening and Michael Tsoa said that they had a spot all picked out for the new local but the city of Cow-lumbus denied selling him the land 'cause his plans conflicted with their plans of having a crappy sports theme and urban hip nite-life ( or in otherwords sports brew pub #109 and dance club #220 ) So I think he just got pissed off at the whole situation and said if he rebuilds now it might be in Vegas or start a chain in several cities ( I like that idea! ) I really think at the begining he was serious about rebuilding. I used to hang out at the bar every week and toward the end after the place closed for the night he had a company come in and document every square inch of the place with photographs and bluprints for the re-building. So this hole of a town has probably lost another cool link to the past for good.

"I live about 5 miles from where they store all the Kahiki artifacts from the resturant. It's in a real crappy warehouse district by the airport. what a waste that all that cool stuff is just collecting dust."

Yes, that is a shame. I'd hate to think about what will eventually happen to the stuff. Maybe they'll auction it off ala Don the Beachcomber to good homes.

K

Kahiki has a tribute to the old restaurant on their website. Its unfortunate that they won't reopen it. It was an exceptional place. The Kahiki frozen food line is unremarkable at its very best (eggroles)....disgusting at its worst (General Tso's Chicken).

Pages: 1 7 replies