Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Cocktail Ideas for a Very Specific Party

Pages: 1 13 replies

i grew up in georgia but now live in new jersey (greater nyc area). i have a small core of friends w/ whom i grew up or went to the university of ga that also live in jersey or nyc.

anyway, my wife & i are having these displaced georgians over in a few weeks for a git-ta-gather & i'm hoping to come up w/ a couple of cocktails especially for the occasion.

i was wondering if folks would like to help me brainstorm & come up w/ ideas.

here is a list of cocktail names that i've dreamed up:

• Jergia Peach
  • Jergia Cracker
  • Georgia Cracker
  • New Jersey Turnpike
  • Jersey Shore
  • The Hotlanta!

I was thinking the "jergia peach" might work well w/ some peach schnapps.

an idea i had for the "jersey shore" was a blue curacao-based drink w/ a hypodermic needle as a drink stirrer but that one really pissed my wife off!

thanks in advance for any help suggestions!

:)
tiki chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-11-03 10:36 ]

E
Erika posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2003 11:36 AM

Here are some more name ideas and a couple conceptual ideas for names you already came up with. (Sorry--only on the New Jersey side of the equation. . . .)

Jersey Shore--Make guests buy special beach tags from you before they can drink it.

NJ Turnpike--Serve in an old-fashioned glass over a large handful of coins.

Traffic Circle--Whatever the ingredients, lay a sliced ring of pineapple on top.

Double Trouble--Something with two kinds of rum?
( http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/double.html )

The Jersey Devil

Knobbed Whelk--Name of the state seashell; sounds like a good name for a "serious" drink.

Sandy Hook--I'd use those sword-shaped plastic skewers somehow, to bring out the piratey nuances of the name.

The Boardwalk

[ Edited by: Erika on 2003-11-03 11:38 ]

thanks for the ideas! the sandy hook may be especially appropriate since it's just up the road! same goes for the boardwalk.

the jug ear might be a good one too, eh?

or how about the "ezpass"?

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-11-03 11:49 ]

Georgia In A Jug - Johnny Paycheck
Georgia In A (Tiki) Mug

E
Erika posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2003 12:10 PM

On 2003-11-03 11:47, Tiki Chris wrote:
the jug ear might be a good one too, eh?

I thought about that one! Down here, I hear it called a "jug handle." Seemed like you'd need moonshine to really make good use of that name. But actually maybe something based on hard apple cider would be appropriate.

Get little plastic toy cars to drop in. (And/or for a Turnpike or Traffic Circle drink.)

NJ Turnpike--Serve in an old-fashioned glass over a large handful of coins.

This is hilarious!

Bulldog Bite-A floated Black Russian with a Grenadine topper? (black, red, and silver?)

Having grown up in the Deep South, Staten Island (yeah, that joke might play as far away as Sandy Hook), I thougt I'd lend a hand:

The Jersey Cracker: 1 part Peach Brandy, 1 part light Rum, 1/2 part OJ, a few dashes of Grenedine, shake, serve on the rocks.

The Garden State: 6 parts Vodka, 1 part Chartuse, a few dashes of Lime Juice, shake on ice, strain into martini glass, rub rim of glass with lime twist, garnish with lemon & lime twists.

Peach on the Beach: 1/2 part Peach Brandy, 1 part Vodka, 1/2 part Blue Curacau, 2 oz Pineaple juice, 1 oz Lime juice, shake on ice & strain.

O

if you are from georgia, you might enjoy the P.B.R. its kind of the gorgia meets the islands version of the Beer Buster.

1oz. chilled unsweetened pineapple juice (P.)
1 can Pabst Blue Ribbon (B.)
1 shot rum (R.)
barenjager
rim a chilled pint glass with barenjager; pour barenjager into a tablespoon, roll rim of glass in the spoon. pour 3/4 of the pabst, add pineapple juice and drop in shot of rum. use a light sweet rum, or zaya, the guatamalan rum with a honey finish. most dark rums will make this drink too bitter. garnish with pineapple and lime wedge.
i never drank Pabst or barenjager until hanging out with the athens underground railroad here in la, and on my visits to georgia pabst has been a common beer of choice. even seen it on tap in athens.
The P.B.R. is an ode to my georgia freinds.

[ Edited by: tikitanked on 2003-11-04 09:18 ]

T

If you had a Great Lakes themed party, a definite drink you would need to invent would be the 'zebra mussel'. I imagine layers of black and white... something, with a little clam juice thrown in.

Actually, that sounds disgusting, nevermind!

TC

The GA/NJ party was supposed to be tonight, but we had to cancel due to the snow storm.

So, I didn't get to try out my cocktails on our guests.

I had decided on two drinks, the Jersey Peach & the Georgia Peach. The Jersey Peach is a little richer & the Georgia Peach is a little sweeter. I like 'em both.

freediefreelance, your "Jersey Cracker" idea served as an excellent base for concocting these drinks. Thanks!!!

Here are the recipes:

Jersey Peach
½ Jigger Peach Brandy
½ Jigger Light Rum
¼ Jigger Amaretto
3 Jiggers Orange Juice
½ Jigger of Tangerine/Clementine Juice
Dash of Vanilla
Garnish w/ Maraschino Cherries & a Spring of Peppermint

Georgia Peach

½ Jigger Peach Brandy
½ Jigger Light Rum
¼ Jigger Vinho Verde
3 Jiggers Orange Juice
½ Jigger of Tangerine/Clementine Juice
Dash of Vanilla Extract
Garnish w/ Maraschino Cherries & a Spring of Peppermint

M

Oooh! Vinho Verde! Interesting idea...sounds good.

Lots of good ideas there, but I gotta tell ya: The Jersey Shore with the syringe is classic! I'm gonna steal that idea. Just break the needle off, and people can suck the drink into the syringe and then squirt it down their throats. That would be "klassy"!

TC

On 2003-12-08 13:00, martiki6 wrote:
Oooh! Vinho Verde! Interesting idea...sounds good.

actually any sort of sweet white wine would probably do. i just REALLY like vinho verde (& portugese wines in general). besides, it's relatively cheap.

This has been a tough topic.

I was thinking:

"Under the Boardwalk"

Equal parts Dark Rum, Kahlua, and Irish Cream. Tell people that after three, that's where they will wake up.

"Born to Rum"

Every time someone screws up a Springsteen lyric, they do a shot of rum.

"Greetings from R-Asbury Park"

Sneak in a bit of light rum, Chambord, lime essences, and shake over ice.

An "Atlanta Brave"

Caution, Only one drink in 12 will be a success.

Sorry, I gotta work out better recipes!

Pages: 1 13 replies