Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orgeat syrup???

Pages: 1 22 replies

TM

Does anybody know where I can get orgeat syrup? Online? None of the liquor stores in my area (coastal central Florida) carry it. Is almond syrup a good substitute? You know, like the kind of stuff some folks mix with coffee.

Almond syrup is a good substitute, but if you are looking online the place to go is:

http://www.tradervics.com

Make sure you grab some Rock Candy Syrup and Passion Fruit syrup while you're buying.

I prefer TV's Rock Candy syrup to other brands of simple syrup or homemade because they give it a slight vanilla flavor.

Also, I read somewhere that TV Passion Fruit syrup is the only one available made with actual passion fruit. Go figure.

TM

Thanks Muggler!

D

Tiki Mon-

Beleive me.. I have been down this frustrating little road myself. What the Muggler says is true, the only place, so far on-line is the Trader Vic website. I also checked the Torani website, but they don't sell on-line. Torani is the only brand of Orgeat that I have been able to find retail around here. And they say you can get anything, anytime in New York. Bah I say! Bah! Yeah I can find it here, but the store I go to which is a gourmet coffee place is so far the ONLY place I have been able to find it.

I also had a frustrating interlude the other day just trying to find simple Grenadine for cryin out loud! Some grocery stores have it and some don't. The one in my neighborhood doesn't have it (of course). Gotta make a special trip for that too.

What do we have to do to make a simple Mai Tai at home I ask?

I suggest you hunt around in some of the gourmet coffee places in your area. Call them first, or else you'll have an Orgeat breakdown. And don't try Starbucks...I don't think they're cool enough to carry it. In fact I'm pretty sure they don't have it.

cheers! :drink:

P
pablus posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2003 5:23 PM

I like Trader Vics...but...
I usually buy a case at a time of the Torani, which I prefer, from BevMo.

Heck. I just used my last bottle on Saturday's Scorpions.

Back to the web.

[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-11-03 17:26 ]

K
Kono posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2003 5:39 PM

On 2003-11-03 17:23, pablus wrote:
I like Trader Vics...but...
I usually buy a case at a time of the Torani, which I prefer, from BevMo.
[ Edited by: pablus on 2003-11-03 17:26 ]

What's BevMo??

TR

Beverages and More...shop on-line at BevMo.com
Aloha :drink:

T
thejab posted on Mon, Nov 3, 2003 5:44 PM

Where's the orgy at?!

T

There's plenty of retail places in SoCal for orgeat syrup.... must be a Hoiti Toiti thing! Smart-n-Final carries a huge selection of Torani syrups, Cost Plus usually has a good selection too.

D

Nice tip onthe BevMo. Checked that out.

Now if we could only get some people here in NYC to sell the Trader Vic stuff in the stores. I've poked around a couple of liquor stores, but no dice. Looked in some grocery stores too.

You people out in California (or 'on the coast' as the show-biz people say) are so damn lucky with people sellin the T.V. stuff in the liquor stores and all. One day I'm gonna leave this town because of the lack of Trader Vic & tiki stuff, I swear, really.

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-11-03 22:55 ]

Yo, Tiki Mon! Do check the coffee shops in your area for either Torani or Monin brands. Both of those can be found from several dealers online. I would suggest asking the guy at your local liquor store to see about stocking Fees Brothers. If you promise you'll buy all of your Rum there he shouldn't have a problem ordering a case or two. If he won't do it you don't need to be buying Rum from him anyway.

Fees Brothers also makes a darn good Grenadine (using actual pomegranites to do so) and are, to my knowledge, the only folks producing Orange Bitters in the USA these days.

Good Luck!

R

Ya could always just use Amaretto like I do, but it does add more alcohol! :D

K
Klas posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2003 5:17 AM

Monin syrups only uses natural ingridients and can be bought online at the Monin Store. I personally use their Orgeat and Passionfruit syrups and I'm very pleased. Note that their syrups are highly concentrated so the drink recipes might need to be adjusted a little bit (for example I'm using 1/3 ounce Monin Orgeat instead of the original 1/2 ounce in a Bali Hai Mai Tai).

Speaking of the Bali Hai Mai Tai, I've also found that replacing the Triple Sec with Orange Curacao really makes it good IMO. The Bali Hai version is also very handy if you don't have any fresh lime at home.

:drink:

M

You can also always make your own almond syrup by simply adding almond extract to your homemade simple syrup! Save money!

TM

Save $$$..good advice. Besides, after six or seven Mai Tais whose gonna really notice?

Blasphemy! I really don't think orgeat syrup is so pricey that it is something to skimp on....! Besides, orgeat has more flavor components than almond syrup.... citrus, vanilla, almond.....

On 2003-11-04 05:17, Klas wrote:
Monin syrups only uses natural ingridients and can be bought online at the Monin Store. I personally use their Orgeat and Passionfruit syrups and I'm very pleased. Note that their syrups are highly concentrated so the drink recipes might need to be adjusted a little bit (for example I'm using 1/3 ounce Monin Orgeat instead of the original 1/2 ounce in a Bali Hai Mai Tai).

I agree with using less of Monin's Orgeat than what's called for in the recipe. However, I think the passion fruit syrup needs to be in the same quantity as the recipe. I just stocked up on bar supplies and got 3 bottles of the passion fruit syrup, 1 orgeat. I also got 1 Trader Vic's orgeat for comparisson.

Ran

The Bali Hai version is also very handy if you don't have any fresh lime at home

Who doesn't have Fresh Lime Juice? People who are Too Lazy to Sqeeze Limes? Oh, yeah... I'm gonna take advice on recipes from Them!

R

On 2003-11-05 22:18, Traderpup wrote:
Blasphemy! I really don't think orgeat syrup is so pricey that it is something to skimp on....! Besides, orgeat has more flavor components than almond syrup.... citrus, vanilla, almond.....

Well now you all have me intreged about this product, I'll have to acquire some to check it out.

K
Klas posted on Sat, Nov 8, 2003 9:29 AM

On 2003-11-08 00:38, Traitor Vic wrote:
Who doesn't have Fresh Lime Juice? People who are Too Lazy to Sqeeze Limes? Oh, yeah... I'm gonna take advice on recipes from Them!

What are you talking about!?

On 2003-11-08 00:38, Traitor Vic wrote:

The Bali Hai version is also very handy if you don't have any fresh lime at home

And those who can't easily find limes in their area! Too lazy to move to SoCal/Fla! For Shame! :P

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2003-11-08 10:49 ]

Today I found Orzata syrup at our local Italian specialty store. It's basically the same thing as Orgeat, and it was only $3.49 for a big bottle. So if you are in the northeast and are having a hard time finding Orgeat, most of us have access to Italian markets. Check 'em out.

--SBiM

I've been using that Orzata stuff now for over a year. It is a good value and easy to find in Italian Grocery's...Not that I added anything new to the Suffering Bastard's post, except to say that I'm in the North West part of the continent...

[ Edited by: Slacks Ferret 2005-11-26 20:16 ]

Pages: 1 22 replies