Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What Did I Buy

Pages: 1 4 replies

T

First off I am sorry for the quality of these (my first attempt at posting pictures). Thanks to PJ and Hanford for the education.

Anyhoo!!! I picked this up for a whopping $2. When I first bought it I thought I really got a nice pacifico, polynesian, etc. piece. (I am not going to get into whether it is tiki or not) Upon further review I have begun to think that there are influences from Central America and even Celtic. I am kinda lost. Anyone willing to take a shot.

It has been handled extensively and is made from some kind a rock. I did not find any "Made in ..." etc. type stickers so I don't know if it was machine manufactured. It has four faces all the same, a turtle (I believe sea), snake that wraps all the faces and a drum.

Anyway any thoughts as to its origin, influence, etc. would be appreciated. Thank you.

T

Sorry did not get the first photo right and there is a frog.

TC

looks sorta like tanzanian ujamaa sculpture, except that's normally wood.

also sorta looks like shona (zimbabwe) abstract sculpture.

but not enough like either for me to say it is but the facial feature, design & abstract figure w/in the shape of the material are very african qualities.

it doesn't look tiki, polynesian or oceanic to me at all.

could be from central american?

T

It reminds me of soapstone carvings that Northwest American Indians carve for tourists....

:tiki:

T

whoa, you got a Paul Gauguin original!

okay, maybe not, but it made me think of his stuff.

Pages: 1 4 replies