Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotica Insanity

Pages: 1 18 replies

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2003 6:12 PM

The Exotic Moods Of Les Baxter - look at this price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=2569073915

I mean, I know it's one of the greatest and most looked for exotica CD's on the planet, but DAMN. I know it's out of print, but DAMN. There's no way in hell I'd pay that much for this CD, but there are people that will which makes it impossible for me to enjoy the music.
So...
I'm downloading it off Kazaa...song by song. It'll take a while to grab everything but I'll get all of it. I have about 25% downloaded so far. Anyone know what the RIAA thinks about file sharing music that is no longer in print? Well, screw 'em. I want this CD and I ain't paying that many clams.

Oh, and once I have it all downloaded I'll send a copy to anyone that wants one.

:drink:

K
Kanaka posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2003 6:49 PM

Give it to 'em Juno! Free or reasonably priced music for the people! I'll take a copy!

P.S. to other readers: I do support current available artists like APE (Crazy Al), Tiki Tones, I Bella Di Wakiki, Martin Denny (Baked Alaska), etc. by buying their music at full and reasonable price. But I do enjoy freebies like the Two Zombies Later and Hukilau 2003 CD featured right here on TC.

Scotty

TL

WOW! SIXTY BUCKS?!?!?! No friggin' way in HELL anyone should pay that!

I just picked up a copy at the local used CD store here in Vegas for $14. So don't give up hope, people! Keep scouring the used CD shops & you'll find 'em!

K
Kono posted on Tue, Nov 4, 2003 7:48 PM

Juno, I'd be interested in a copy, for research purposes only, of course. I'd even happily provide the data transfer media (CDs) if that would help. Of course, after my research, I'd happily destroy :wink: the copyrighted data as I would never want to offend the good folk of the RIAA, FBI, NSA, FEMA, BATF, KGB, Bilderburger Group, NFL, NCAA, Bavarian Illuminati etc etc etc. Thanks for your selfless work. :wink: :D

On 2003-11-04 18:12, Juno wrote:
There's no way in hell I'd pay that much for this CD, but there are people that will which makes it impossible for me to enjoy the music.
So...

So... do a Google search and find a retailer who still has copies, for $22.99 no less and pick it up cheap!

http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1&Product_Id=3830250&jrsource=linkshare.datafeed.224789_CD

V
virani posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2003 2:15 AM

WOW, this one was still available at our Virgin Store a few months ago...

BB

Yikes, that is big bucks. I got this fine double CD directly from the BMG music club not too long ago. I think it was on their 10 CDs for the price of 1 promotion. It is a great CD but $60+ on ebay...come on now.

I have it all on original vinyl but no way to record it to CD.

KK

BK, check your PM.

Holy Moly! Amazon.com has them from used condition ($119.00!) to new condition ($279.00!). Crazy!

The list price was originally $29.98.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-11-05 10:54 ]

K
kooche posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2003 1:04 PM

madness!

though the cover rings my bells...no can DO at the price it is going for...someone NOT web savvy this is going to be a learning experience...

last night i picked up some martin denny...a CD called "Baked Alaska" and another called martin denny '90...both have there ups and downs...baked alaska is pretty crazy with the live BG noise emitting from the US soldiers posted in Alaska in 62...typical americans...LOUD! concert recordings are hit and miss but with a small group of soloists it's always exciting...especially when someone is doing CAT/BIRD CALLS!

early MD...nice...how old do his earliest recordings date? anyone know?

BUELER?

T

Had no idea it was rare, I think Mr. Fishstick got it for me for a gift years ago! It is alwasy in heavy rotation at our place - definitely my favourite CD.

$66 bucks for the Les Baxter CD is not actually that bad. I have seen it on eBay over the last couple months going for close to $100 everytime. The price will not go down either unless the fine folks at Capitol decide to reissue it, which will never happen. Get them while you can!! These recordings are ALL from the original Masters and include lots of unreleased cuts that you will NEVER find anywhere!!

N

Has anyone ordered one from J&R recently and received it? I was at their retail store about a month ago, but no luck. I scoured most of the record stores I could find in Manhattan while my wife took care of business, but NO luck.

Not too many decent used CD stores here in the thriving metropolis of Savannah. Not much in the way of Tiki either, but I do my best.

Scott

S
SES posted on Fri, Nov 7, 2003 1:50 AM

I got mine on ebay for $46. Worth every penny! I love that CD.
I recently bid on an assorted mystery lot of 125 CDs (not in cases) figuring even if I like only 10 I'll be okay but WOW did I make out like a bandit! Cleaning them all up and putting them into the case logic sleeves now.
So it all comes out in the wash.
:D

DO NOT buy it from J&R. The website says they have it, and will take your order, but they are all out and will not be getting any more in the near future. I had to find this out with four phone calls to them.

N

Dang!! I placed the order last night. Oh well...it says they won't charge until the order ships, so I guess that will be never. =(

I'll keep plugging away on eBay, I guess.

Booooo.

Scott

K
Kenike posted on Sat, Nov 8, 2003 5:24 PM

I've got about 50% downloaded so far. The songs are getting harder to come by. I might ask if someone will share some mp3's with me if I still end up short a couple of songs. Not all the songs I've downloaded are very good quality but I'm trying my best to keep it 128kps and above.

:drink:

Yeah. Don't bother with J&R. I just got this letter this morning:

Dear GEORGE KORONEOS,

We're very sorry to inform you that that the following item(s) you ordered,

Order # SKU Product Name

38701533 72438370252.CD The Exotic Moods Of Les Baxter

have been cancelled.

If this cancellation was due to the product being unavailable, we apologize. Please be aware that every effort possible was made to obtain these items for you. If your product was a Music or Movie item (CD or DVD), please be aware it is our policy to cancel that portion of the order that we cannot obtain in a short period of time. If we do not have a music or movie title in our vast inventory, we order it from a distributor. If our distributor is out of stock, we then order it from a back-up distributor. If all sources are out of stock, it is our experience that the title is currently unavailable. We cancel that title as a convenience to you. This is so that you are free to look elsewhere for it, without unreasonable delay.

If this was cancelled at your request, please consider this email a confirmation. We are sorry if we were not able to meet your needs at this time.

If this cancellation was due to difficulties processing your order, we apologize.

Your credit card was not charged for any items we did not ship to you. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We thank you for shopping at J&R, and we hope that you will consider J&R for your future shopping needs. Should you wish to contact us about this order, please use the information below.

Pages: 1 18 replies