Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Shag goes Pink

Pages: 1 19 replies

V
virani posted on Wed, Nov 5, 2003 2:24 AM

Do you have in the states the box with all 6 DVD of the pink panther's movie ?? Just asking, because Shag did the cover of it for the french version, with a very big design and everything. It's a very nice box.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AMKHT.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

T

I've actually been investigating this for the past couple of weeks. Right now the set is only being sold in PAL (Region 2 areas) which won't work on our DVD players. I've emailed a couple of DVD stores in the UK asking if they carried any of the US versions but as of now there are none available. The set MAY be done here for the US market in about 6 months but there is NO guarantee.

This is why we here in the states have not seen any promoting of the event yet. We're just starting to see some of the products being releasesd, such as the paper products, but nothing else. I really want one of the Shag special edition Panther DVD sets but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be made here in the states.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=5687

The pictures of the set look spectacular and I can only hope. It's difficult to find a "mulit-region" DVD player here in the states while I hear that they are abundant in the UK.

Keep watching this site too. Shag has done the artwork even though all the links aren't working yet.

http://www.pinkpanther.com/

A

I read a news release that it is supposed to come out in March.
A

The Pink Panther box set with Shag artwork is widely available now in the UK, though it's probably region 2 only.

Yeah, multi-region DVD players are what most people go for over here as it's easy to pick up cheap imports from the Far East, and new releases from the US tend to come out a couple of months before their release in Europe. (Though the gap constantly narrows)

Trader Woody

i would kill for a shag print of "the party"

num-num
birdy num-num

The Region 1 boxset will be out April 6th. Here's the MGM press release:

At last he's back. MGM Home Entertainment will paint April in pink, with the announcement of the long-awaited The Pink Panther Film Collection. This six-disc set will include newly-remastered anamorphic widescreen versions of five films in the series The Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Revenge of the Pink Panther and the Peter Sellers-less The Trail of the Pink Panther (not included in this collection are The Curse of the Pink Panther, The Son of the Pink Panther, and the upcoming remake, The Birth of the Pink Panther), plus a bonus disc with the new documentary "The Pink Panther Story" and "The Pink Panther Cartoon Theatre," featuring a collection of six award-winning original cartoons and the featurette "Behind the Feline: The Cartoon Phenomenon." Other extras include an audio commentary by Blake Edwards and a trivia track on the first film. Retail will be $69.95 and street date April 6th.

Birdy Num Nums

I kill myself laughing every time I see that movie. I have to agree that a Shag poster/dvd cover of The Party would be high on my list.

-Tikiwahine

The pink panther combined with Shag's art?

That's about the coolest thing I have ever heard!

Anybody know anything about the upcoming remake? Is it with steve Martin?

Damn, already have some the the dvds, i guess the mrs & i will have to buy again.

TB

Just a reminder, The Pink Panther DVD collection is out, although it doesnt have the same box cover art on the outside as the european release.

[ Edited by: tiki bird on 2004-04-08 12:11 ]

T

Howdy pard-a-ner!

K
Kanaka posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2004 7:52 AM

I got the Penthouse party CD yesterday at a local indie CD shop that had a huge Pink Panther Window display with Shag promo stuff. The CD is pretty cool. The Mancini original theme song with some remixes, a Fever remix, The Girl From Ipanema remix, Peter Gunn, Weapon Of Choice by Fatboy Slim, and others. The CD cover has a foldout picture of Shag's Penthouse Party.

Kanaka

D

I saw it today at work (Target) for 44$. It has Shag artwork on the back. Just FYI.

T

[ Edited by: tikichic 2005-10-06 07:10 ]

M

From the Associated Press (believe it or not):

(04-09-04) 23:47 PDT LOS ANGELES (AP) --

One cool cat has been redrawn by another.

Pop artist "SHAG" has remade "The Pink Panther" characters in a series of portraits, products and trinkets to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the animated feline and the renowned Inspector Clouseau comedies starring Peter Sellers.

SHAG, whose real name is Josh Agle, is known for his depiction of slinky, kitschy, lounge-lizard characters designed in the sharp, cutout style of early-1960s illustrated advertising.

His "Pink Panther" art also is featured in the new DVD boxed set of "The Pink Panther" movies released April 6. His art of Clouseau and the slinky Panther also turned up on key chains, golf balls and other merchandise.

"The first thing I did was watch all the movies with a sketch pad and sketch things that would fit into the theme of the packaging, sketch things that I liked from the movies, different looks, different women, and had to figure out how to get it all into the illustration," Agle said.

His favorite thing to draw was the Panther itself.

"He's got this aloof attitude. ... It was really fun trying to reinterpret him, not make him so crazy and different that people wouldn't recognize who he was but give him enough of a change, or enough of a SHAG restyling, that people would look at him and say, 'Hey, something's different here. Something's going on,"' he said.

The original cartoon was created in 1964 by animators Friz Freleng and David DePatie for a prologue to the live-action Blake Edwards film.

The result was a long tableau comprised of about six different scenes from the movies, featured on the fold-out DVD collection. "It's kind of jet-setty, and loungey and tiki-ish," he said, describing his own painting style.

What does he like about the 1960s hipster era? "It's mainly the look, the sound, the clothing and stuff. As far as actually living back then, it doesn't appeal to me as much as living now. But I loved the way stuff looked back then."

It's well worth heading over to http://www.pinkpanther.com for lots of great Shag artwork, wallpaper, clips from Pink Panther's Penthouse Party CD, a decent interview with Shag as well as some bizarre images of Shag as a Tiki.

Trader Woody

S

Does anyone remember the "Inspector Clousseau" with Alan Arkin? Came after Shot in the Dark" I think. Sadly forgotten, (sniff)

UB

Off the topic,
Does anyone know the style or name (obviously from the 60's) of the type of fireplace that Shag uses in his paintings(Like the one in the Pink Panther)?

On 2004-05-04 15:19, Unga Bunga wrote:
Off the topic,
Does anyone know the style or name (obviously from the 60's) of the type of fireplace that Shag uses in his paintings(Like the one in the Pink Panther)?

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=2239&forum=6

try this link.

We had one in our family room when I was a kid. My mom sold that house in 1992 and the new owners promptly ripped it out. Had I known they were going to do that, I'd have taken it out myself!

-Z

Pages: 1 19 replies