Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Good day for me.

Pages: 1 5 replies

Well after a rough week and a early morning-day long work load slam from the boss, I was ready to goto Golden China across town (in Waxahachie Texas). I hadn't stepped foot in that place in about 10 years and I had remembered they had tiki mugs on the wall behind a makeshift bar.
Well my wife and I stepped trough the round door and down the hallway to the counter and to my surprise I saw nothing on the shelves. Disappointed, we where seated close to the old bar with me facing it. While enjoying my "Happy Family", my mind floated to the images of the Fu Man chu, Buddah, and the green and brown headhunters I had seen in my high school days. I had always wondered what type of exotic drinks would be mixed for those brilliant looking mugs that had the look of adventure to them. My wife and I finnished eating our meals and went to the counter to pay. the very polite owner (who I recognised from 10 years ago) chit-chatted with us for a bit. I asked her what became of those "wonderful, but strange" mugs she had once proudly displayed on the wall. She then told me that up until 2 years ago, they served drinks with them untill the major chains came in (Chilis, AppleBees, Johnny Carinos, etc.). they couldn't compete with them and with TABC (Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission..jerks i've delt with from a previous job) would not allow them to have beer or liqour delivered to them.. they had to go by it in person, which is a hour away.

...Sorry if this is long winded, but the good part is coming up.....promise

Well they decided not to offer alcohol anymore, (seeing that the bigger dogs can afford a contract with beer a liqour stores for large quanities)and let then tikis sit there. She then told me that people started to buy them. I was pissed at myself for not comming in sooner, knowing I could have unloaded their burdon for a mear $30 or so. I told her thank you for the wonderful food and fast service and I would return again. As I turned from the counter she bent down from behind the counter and produced the last mug they owned. It was what I call an abstract Geisha. She said she had sold most of them for a few dollars, but I could have her (the mug) if I promised to give her a good home. Delighted at her thoughtfulness I thanked her in english and chinise and happly walked to my car with two girls on each arm, my wife and my geisha mug.

I promise to get a pic of her, maybe someone can identify her, no markings though.

S

nice one!

K
Kenike posted on Sat, Nov 8, 2003 9:27 AM

That's awsome! Every mug deserves a good story and a happy ending.

:drink:

UJ

Here is an link to a photo with the mug in it. http://www.unklejohn.com/mytikis01.jpg
I hope someone can identify her. All the white ones are marked either O.H. or Benihana of Japan.

Nice story...It pays to be polite.

Here's a better shot of the geisha.

I found one identical on ebay, it was from Orchids of Hawaii R-126.

I found her by typing "Orchids of Hawaii" in ebay. I'd put the link here, but currently my connection is not allowing me to access that site.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-01-17 11:15 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies