Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

The Flying Monkey Cabana

Pages: 1 15 replies

UJ

Well I've been keeping my next project a secret untill it was final, and now is the time. I've been planning on building an outside cabana for sometime (to compliment my fire pit), well recently I found a camper that would help speed my decision to either build or buy. I came across this camper from a guy who has brought some business to my company. He and I where talking and he mentioned that he knew someone with a camper for sale. So one afternoon my wife and I followed him across the county to see it.
When we arrived I saw something that had alot of potential. It's a mid-60's Fireball. It's been modified with a sliding glass door and "lowered" ceiling, I'm 6ft. and I had to crook my neck to avoid hitting my head. Bewildered about that I asked the owner about it's history. She told me the camper came with her property and she did some investigating and found it had once belonged to a George Noison. Mr. Noison's neice owned the land her moble home now sits on. Mr. Noison and the camper have had quite a history. Mr. Noison made a name for himself in the movie industry for playing characters, namely a flying monkey. yes that's right, he played one of the wicked witch's flying monkey guardsmen. The camper was also used in a movie that was shot locally a few years back. Mr. Noison moved her to TX after his movie days where over to retire. He has since moved on to Colorado and unfortunaly has alshimers desiese. The lady (now past owner) told me she is in contact with his family and has been collecting a scrapbook of all of his movies, along with photos, and what-nots. She has also a copy of the movie that was shot locally and is dubbing a copy for us.
And how much did I pay for this new piece of history? $400. I move it in 2 weeks.
And now I give you a sneek peek of the new Flying Monkey Cabana: http://www.unklejohn.com/lounge.htm
scroll down it's under the tikis.

Mo-Holler.

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2003-11-09 20:17 ]

UB

That looks like a winner for $400.00!
Enjoy it.

A Tiki Cheers To You!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-11-09 20:32 ]

S
SES posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2003 9:11 PM

Can't wait to see the after pics. Is that tree holding it up?
You got your work cut out for you.
:wink:

The tree grew up over the years. The lady that is holding the camper for me will not allow me to cut it down. We have to raise it then slide it away from the tree so we can piviot the camper so we can pull it straight out. Infront of the camper, about 20ft. is a barbed wire fence. It will take a bit to get it moved, but the ride home will be longer.

S

Great score UJ!
Those old Fireballs are cool. I have owned a number of old (vintage) trailers and campers. I have even lived in a few from time to time. Travel trailers and campers are a way cool part of old americana that alot of people miss out on. The outward appearance of many of these classics can be very blah and unassuming but if you happen to peek inside, you will sometimes not believe your eyes! Beautiful blonde curved cabinetry, pink and turquoise appliances, two tone vinyl and flecked formica etc.. We tend to move alot, and that's when I usually pick up a new, old trailer. It usually ends up costing us less than renting Uhauls, and we get to keep it!! And if you can get it in your yard it makes a great guest house!
I have mentioned before about my inlaws managing the Summer Lake Hotsprings out in the Oregon Desert. They have a fleet of vintage trailers that include Airstreams, and the lesser known but far more impressive Spartans as well as others, that they offer as nightly rentals.
A couple years ago we had the opportunity to stay for a couple of months in the Spartan Imperial Mansion. The Mansion was a 1950's 40 ft long park model, with a full bedroom in the back, a living room up front, a black and blue wrap around dining booth, matching original mohair sofa and lounge chair, blonde maple paneling and cabinetry throughout, original endtables, light fixtures, lamp shades, etc... The place was a friggin museum. Absolutely Perfect. I added a few Tikis and a couple swanky chain lamps and that was it. The perfect space age bachelor pad, all wrapped in aircraft aluminum.
I said it "was" because shortly after we stayed there, a terible wind storm came through the area and picked up the trailers and tossed them around and literally stripped the skins right off of them. There was nothing left but the thesteel frame the thing was built on, anf it was wrapped up with another one some 50 feet or so from where it sat. It was very sad. The few trailers that remain are sadly being phase out and replaced by newly constructed little cabins. Blah.

KICK ASS, SEAMUS!
There is a motel motor court in Az.(?) that's all classic airstreams and spartains.
You don't happen to know where I can get some info on the fireballs do ya?

S

I'm sure there's some kind of user group out there somewhere. There seems to be for everything else. I remember we had one when I was a kid. A red and white teardrop style. It had a canvas pull out upper bunkbed in the front over the dining table.
BTW- I saw a Gibby reference in your website. You a fan? It's been a long while since he's come up for me. Are they(BHSurfers) or he still together or doing anything? Used to love those guys when I found losing my mind more enjoyable.

yeah i'm a Gibby fan. BHSurfers are still around, in a way. His dad used to be a local personality for a kids show (i used to watch religiously) Called: Mr. Peppermint

here's a fan site: http://www.himonkey.net/mrp/

If you are a big fan of Gibby, you ought to look for his side project band album with Johnny Depp, it's called "P". The rentals sang a song about the band "Friends of P"

"A-WHOO-HOO-HOO-HOO I'm down with P."

UJ

Well the FMC is not going to happen.

in trailer form that is.

We went to FINNALY retreive her and found that the wheels and spares all had dry rot. we found that out after we attemped to move it. the frame and payload where seperating. this was due to rot in the wall.

So starting in January the owner is going to start paying me back. Well at least it got my noodles a chance to come up with a replacement.

Aw, major league bummer! At least your getting your money back.

S
SES posted on Sat, Dec 6, 2003 6:19 PM

Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned. Better to have it fall apart there than afterwards though!

BB

R.I.P. Flying Monkey Cabana...You will be missed.

On 2003-11-12 21:24, Unkle John wrote:
yeah i'm a Gibby fan. BHSurfers are still around, in a way. His dad used to be a local personality for a kids show (i used to watch religiously) Called: Mr. Peppermint

Gibby put out a Mr Peppermint album many moons ago. I've a copy in storage somewhere. Unfortunately it's vinyl so I can't burn a CD from it, but if you are keen to hear it I'll make up a tape for you.

Sorry to hear the FMC has gone down the chute - it sounded like a great opportunity.

Trader Woody

Speaking of Mr. Peppermint.
I met him and got to talk to him a few moments last month when we had a (compulation)CD release party. Mr Haynes is on it.

On the plus side, your fire pit will be tres cool!

On the plus side, your fire pit will be tres cool!

that is true.
I think i'm going to either build or buy a premade one from home depot.

Pages: 1 15 replies