Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

(SPOILERS:) Matrix Revolutions.....what did ya think of it?

Pages: 1 6 replies

[Hanford writes:

This topic is for people who have seen Matrix 3 and want to discuss it. It reveals parts of the movie, so if you have not seen it, don't read this unless you want it spoiled.

~Hanford

]

Went & saw Revolutions on Saturday & thought it was better than Reload. The martial arts i thought was alittle old, but loved the dock fighting scene alot.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-11-10 14:34 ]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-11-10 14:52 ]

I thought it was a big disappointment.

I thought the pacing was all off between Matrix 2 and 3.

Action scenes:
There was no one I cared about in the Digger/Sentinel action sequence, and the fighting there was so unrealistic and unrelatable to anything else that I couldn't get into it. If Morphus was part of that battle it might have been different for me. Plus a lot of the visuals there were just incomprehendable to me ("What am I looking at?!!?) End result: I didn't see much "action" in this sequence.

Smith/Neo fight. Again, the action here was too unreal for me to get into. Too much super powers going around. The whole "flying through the air while fighting" just didn't cut it. I would have liked to see them both fight in the Train Station where their super powers did not apply ... End result: I didn't feel like either one was getting hurt or that they had any motivation to actually dodge each other's punches.

The ending:
I think the pacing was all messed up. For neo to fight Smith, all he needed to do was jack into the Matix. So he didn't need to go to the Machine headquarters to do that. The only reason he went there was to have a 2 sentence conversation with the Machines. And they believed him. This bothered me becuase Neo talks about Smith being super powerful, but we never actually see him be super powerful anywhere except for inside the Matrix. The one time he got out of the Matrix, Neo killed him no problem. He never took over a machine outside of the Matrix, that we saw. So how did 2 sentences of Neo's convince them he's powerful? We should have seen smith come into more power in 2 and take over some sentinels or something so we'd see firsthand that Smith is growing too strong.

The Mer -- er, Meryl, er, The french guy:
The coolest character in the sequels and we don't get to see him die? We don't see him get revenge? We don't see him ruin anyone's day? We don't get to see his reaction? What happened to him? I'm sure he's pissed after the mexican standoff.

The religious/Jesus overtones:
I know all 3 movies were riddled with biblical references but the ending of 3 just beat us over the head with it, and frankly I didn't need that. Not that I minded the parellels, just that I felt like the directors were trying to make it plain-as-day rather than playing it down like they did in 1 and 2.

Summary:
I'm glad I saw it. I'm glad I got to find out what happened to everything/everyone. But for me it was by far the weakest of the 3. I think parts 2 and 3 could have been one (very long) movie. I felt like the directors bit off more than they could chew and made Matrix 2 a much more complete movie at the sacrifice of the Matrix 3.

Just my opinion.

~Hanford

I agree with Hanford, I also felt like the directors bit off more than they could chew. I was a bit disappointed in both Matrix Reloaded & Matrix Revolutions. I almost wish they made no sequels to the original Matrix. Part of the disappointment may not have been the fault of the creators. When the original came out, it seemed to be a fresh idea with great some new technology we really hadn't seen before. By the time the two sequels came out, both the idea & technology were a bit tired. They had been copied by virtually every movie since the Matrix. I am glad I saw all three to see where the directors wanted this story to go but there were some big holes & (in my humble opinion) were a bit of a let down.

Kill your Edwards Theater (I dunno, maybe this one doesn't work)

I loved the first two. But this one seemed more like Star Wars with all the robot fighting. Matrix to me is Neo kicking the shit out of people and there was a half an hour where he wasn't even in the movie.

Nothing beats the first movie where a great premise was laid out.

I found myself looking around the theater during "Revolutions" to see what else was available to stare at, especially during the unbearable dialog scenes. I really did like the dock scene with all the shooting and the robots and the fun.

My biggest problem with the movie was the potential for more:
What really happened to Neo???
What really happened to Trinity???

Matrix 4 could be in the making

After the disaster this summer that was The Matrix: Rehashed, I have no desire whatsoever to see The Matrix: Regurgitated.

Now, Return of the King, on the other hand... I may have to pull a Star Wars Geek thing and get in line early.

Pages: 1 6 replies