Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Sword or Cross?

Pages: 1 16 replies

TM

About half the people I asked thought it was a cross he's holding, the other half thought it was a sword. What do ya'll think?

Tiki Mon

Sword
English ?

It's a lower case "t"
Make 3 more,
gimme an i
gimme a k
gimmie an i

i say kross .regardless what i think, the T-I-K-I idea is da bomb.

there's no pointy end: cross.

it looks very crusader-esque to me. if you made a mug from the design you could call it the 'holy grail'.

btw, what do you (tikimon) think it is? & why did you carve it?

T

Cross

cross

Cross... I also think johnnie's T-I-K-I idea is killer! You wouldn't make any money off them, except advertising, but you could put them out front of your shop. Or for those that purchase from you, you could have a few tikis like this spell out the name of their home tiki bar or commercial tiki bar... oops, there I go giving away business ideas...:wink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-11-11 11:47 ]

I would say "cross" too, because a sword would most likely be held by the hilt and not the blade.
I also think the T-I-K-I idea is great.(Except for the Village People-esque dance moves that spring to mind...)

come to think of it, the tiki appears to have his head bowed as if he's praying.

TM

Good one Johnnie...hadn't thought of that one. Tiki Chris, I was hoping to get (16+) replies so the topic would get that cute flame animation before I tell the story behind this tiki. But, you are on the right track with your last post. I think I'll wait just a little longer before I spill the beans.

On 2003-11-11 16:06, Tiki Mon wrote:
But, you are on the right track with your last post.

that's what i was afraid of.

Hey Tiki Mon

I also think it looks like a cross. But, I think if thats not what you are going for. A little more detail will get you to your sword.Over all its a kick A~~ Tiki.
:drink:

TM

This tiki was carved soon after reading an article about the history of surfing in Hawaii. Shortly after being "discovered" and re-colonized, missionaries set up shop in Hawaii. It seems that sometimes when the Catholic missionaries held mass many of the islanders would be absent; only to be discovered surfing. When the surf was up the priests would lose out. So, they deemed surfing as a sensual act and declared any participants as sinners destined for Hell. Well, the islanders weren't about to give up surfing, but at the same time, feared the wrath of the church. So, they made these big kites and if they flew a certain way, islanders knew the break was good and would gladly trade their souls for some gnarly waves.

Anyway, I intended the tiki to be holding a cross. My goal was to create a juxtaposition by using two powerful icons of paganism and Christianity. I didn't carve him to provoke emotion, but rather inspire thought. Its funny, but by quietly holding a cross this tiki is more disturbing (terrifying) than if he was growling and wielding a wicked club with blood dripping from it. Interesting, huh?

On 2003-11-12 08:23, Tiki Mon wrote:
So, they deemed surfing as a sensual act and declared any participants as sinners destined for Hell.

are you sure about those missionaries being catholic? sounds more like something the new england protestant missionaries (who were much more prominent & active in hawaii) would have done.

all that "sensual act" as sin stuff is much more calvanist than roman catholic.

Interesting idea. Makes your tiki fit in more with tikitony's definition of fine art.
However, in light of your story, maybe you should have made him with one eye reverently cast down and one eye minding the kites!

TM

Purple jade, brilliant idea! I thought about carving one hugging a kite, but I don't have the confidence to pull that off. Tiki Chris, you are probably right...it's been so long since I read the article I can't remember those details...too much good livin' I guess.

Pages: 1 16 replies