Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Master & Commander, Patrick O'Brian

Pages: 1 1 replies

J

Went to the premiere of Master & Commander last night. Watched it from the deck of the Star of India (world's oldest active sailing ship, 140 years on November 14th).
The story was a little thin, but you can not expect anyone to do justice to Patrick O'Brian in under than 2 hours. Acting is very good, they do a good job of developing the personality of the Captian and the doctor. Special effects and fight scenes are spectacular on the big screen.

I was able to crew on the Rose (HMS Suprise in the movie) for the History Channel show History vs. Hollywood. (advertising for Master & Commander) I was the powder monkey handing charges to the gunnery crew. Comes on Wed. 11/12/03 at 3 a.m. (already shown on Sunday during the premiere of Master Commander) Will rerun many time I am sure. Was shot off Point Loma and features live cannon fire at another vessel. Effects guys claim it is the first time in 70 years they have used live fire instead of blanks for a movie shoot.

http://www.masterandcommanderthefarsideoftheworld.com/intro.html

[ Edited by: jonboy on 2003-11-10 17:33 ]

Your stint as powder monkey sounds as if it would have been a blast (no pun intended). Watching the film from the deck of "The Star of India" seems as if it would be the ultimate way to watch a movie of this caliber (How is the popcorn though?). I look forward to catching this film.

[ Edited by: Bamboo Bob on 2003-11-11 14:12 ]

Pages: 1 1 replies