Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Not tiki art, but retro art!

Pages: 1 19 replies

T

Haven't had much spare time to paint lately, but here's 2 I did for a charity art show coming up in a few weeks (proceeds go to street kids). They are called 'Le Car' and 'Le Fromage'.

I used some old clippings from 60's magazines, so they are more of a colage type deal. I intend to add 3-D sparkles of cheese falling on the yellow lady, so theyre not quite done!

Input is appreciated, cause I think I will do more of these collages, tiki style. I have lots of pics of crazy luau recipes and such that could be fun to cut and paste on a painting...

S
SES posted on Wed, Nov 12, 2003 10:27 AM

Those are great! I tear apart all my magazines for the jewelry photos and articles to keep for my jewelry library. I've got over 200 file binders with historical info and images. I also save the fun images for collage. When I'm done with the mags I give the remainders to another artist friend who also does collage. Complete recycling!

VIVE LE FROMAGE!!!!!
Ms. Fish, you absolutely bowl me over.
Can you do one entitled Le Crapaud? :D

I likey. Simple but affective. A winning combo. Its hard to find an art style thats easy and fun to do, but that is still good.

K

The green bubbles seem very Bossa Nova.

VERY COOL, Tikifish! That's better than anything Warhol ever did!

S

That car, is it a Dauphin?

I think your paintings are great!! The "cheese" lady is the best. Do you have any more pics?

Looks pretty cool to me. What media was used? I'm originally from Toronto as well (26 years). Miss good hockey coverage but certainly not the weather. Place us on your email list: [email protected]

T

It's just acrylic on canvas and then paper glued to it. Soon to be cheese bits glued on too. Well, beads or sparkles. I can't resisit gluing things to other things. At least I didn't eat the paste in primary school.

The car is a Renault LeCar... remember those?

On 2003-11-13 06:22, tikifish wrote:
I can't resist gluing things to other things.

Note to self: Exercise caution before sitting down at the Saucer House.

I likey, Jane. Le Car? Le Junk? At least the latter ones imported to the US. I think King Kukele owns one. I think real cheese , babay!

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-11-13 10:17 ]

Very nice - I like too!

Neato!....

http://alteregos.taxi.ca/index2.html

Here is the link for the art show in case there are any Toronto lurkers inthis forum who want to go...

M

those are groovy! cant wait to see some tiki themed pieces -- also nice to see someone using it to generate a new/open concept from closed/corporate messages... (or maybe im reading into it..)
i'm always torn between using the actual magazine page, and scanning it and using a cut out of the scan - -thats probably why my house if overflowing with ephemera!

my only question is...fire, water... wheres earth and wind? that would be a great quartet! (and with a horn section, i think i could dance to it...)

T
M

aww yeah, thanks for the link -
that pink lady piece is dynamite!

love the colors tikifish! le fromage is delectable!

T

Intersting that people love Le Fronage - whereas whn I pained them, I thought 'Le Car' was the hands down winner. Of course, that was before I added the parmesan sparkles to Le Fromage. The charity auction is tomorrow night so I will let you knwo what they went for!

I didn't do tiki themed art for the auction because I wanted to make something lots of people would like, not just the freaky people like us who love tiki. It's all about trying to raise as much money for the homeless kids, after all!

Pages: 1 19 replies