Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

I am looking for a late 50's early 60's wood console stereo.

Pages: 1 4 replies

R

I lost one on eBay today that was available locally in South Florida. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3284&item=3057332443 So I have been looking around (since I want it for my new, swank Tiki hut/Bachelor Pad I'm putting together), but anything available is miles away and most want you to pick it up personally. Anyone have any sugestions or experience with acquiring one of these?

A

Kumusta RT,
I got this magnavox in Reno Nevada. I looked at thrift stores and antique shops. These things are everywhere. Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army. I needed a smaller one, they are not as common as the longer consoles. They're still pretty cheap, no one wants them. The different styles of these things are a crack up, some are very odd. I saw one recently at a local thrift store that was a cowboy style, very funny.

The Magnavox I got was a tube radio and a turntable. It played well and sounded great, but, I took it in to get it tuned up. The stereo Guru told me that it would get hot as it played and that was when you should get rid of them. I gutted the consol and now it's a speaker cabinet and CD storage. The door on the left side is open, it closes to reveal just the middle panel. I replaced the speaker cloth with some bark cloth. Looks great in the bar.
Mahalo,
Al

man, i just sold one at my garage sale for $8. (the right side was not working and the turntable needed a new needle unit)... if i would have known. It was hard to let go, but it was taking up room. :(

R

Thanks guys I'll look around locally. I know they just about give these away, but it is the location that is generally the problem. You can get one for only $25, but it costs $250 to ship it from Kalamazo! Pesonally I would like one that actually works so I can spin my vintage Perez Prado and Sinatra records on it.

I finally found one of these after a couple of years of combing thrifts. 40 bux for an almost immaculate GE console in beautiful maple that matches my art deco maple bedroom set. it totally completes the bachelor pad/jungle room paradise in my swingin' bedroom and I've moved as many Sinatra, lounge, tiki and Command persuasive percussion series records into it's cabinet as will fit. Finally one that works! They look great with a lava lamp and boomerang ashtray too! Keep looking, you'll find one. The gravy was that when I headed to the thrift record bin to get a test record a vintage Lyman record was the first thing I saw. Good times.

Pages: 1 4 replies