Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

An email from Bob at Oceanic Arts re: Kokomos

Pages: 1 14 replies

I received an email from 1 of my 3 heros at Oceanic Arts (Bob) today regarding the thread "Minnesota's New Tiki Bar". Bob said I could post it, so here goes:

"Aloha Tiki Bong:

While I'm not a member of Tiki Central I do check it out from time to time. Your comments on Kokomo's are the most realistic. Since you post on Tiki Central often I thought I would give you some comments on this job.

We (Oceanic Arts) supplied quite a bit of decor to Dave Anderson (owner) in August. We supplied 10 Sea Shell Lights and some of our Lighting from China and a large quantity of Bamboo Framed tropical prints and a lot of other items such as Lobster Trap Buoys.

When Dave first came to OA I discussed a Tiki Bar theme with him --- he stated he did not want a TIKI BAR THEME but rather a Key West eclectic type decor. RatTiki put it perfectly "Tropical Kitsch".

Dave is a seasoned restaurant owner and while we wished he had done a full blown tiki bar theme, I am sure he will do well with Kokomo's.

I just wanted to dispel the idea that the owner did a 'Tiki Bar', as he stated he did not want to do a Tiki Bar but a Key West style theme (whatever that is?).

Mahalo
Bob & LeRoy"

(oh, yeah LeRoy and Susan are my other 2 heros)

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-11-13 12:07 ]

Well... that settles it then.
Mahalo Bong!
We don't have to talk about Kokomo's anymore because I'm sure it will be discussed at length on the "Key West Style Theme Forum..." :wink:

R

On 2003-11-13 12:06, Tiki_Bong wrote:
When Dave first came to OA I discussed a Tiki Bar theme with him --- he stated he did not want a TIKI BAR THEME but rather a Key West eclectic type decor. RatTiki put it perfectly "Tropical Kitsch".

I just wanted to dispel the idea that the owner did a 'Tiki Bar', as he stated he did not want to do a Tiki Bar but a Key West style theme (whatever that is?).

Mahalo
Bob & LeRoy"

OK,OK now I'M insulted! "Key West eclectic type decor" WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Seriously though, has he even been here? Key West is 19th century conch houses, their white wash paint peeling off, with cats and roosters running around. :roll: Sloppy Joes, Ricks, the Bull, Capt. Tony's, even the dreaded Margareta Villa doesn't look anything like that! Maybe he was thinking of Orlando. :P

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-11-13 15:28 ]

On 2003-11-13 15:28, Rattiki wrote:
Maybe he was thinking of Orlando. :P

Orlando is MUCH tackier.

Seriously!

R
Rain posted on Thu, Nov 13, 2003 3:35 PM

i second that emotion.
and not tacky in a good way.

R

Orlando is MUCH tackier.

Seriously!

Whenever I have passenger that say they are from Orlando I give them my condolences. Seriously! :lol:

More like "Del Bocca Vista" ish.

Never been to Key West but those tikis look like something that would be spewed out of Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras float studios here.
And probably for Harry Connick's Krewe of Orpheus.

On 2003-11-13 22:16, thechikitiki wrote:

Hey maybe we'll see the Kostanza's and the Sienfelds there

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Nov 14, 2003 2:27 PM

being gone fo some time i missed this post BUT, If OA has something to do with a project I'm always down to check out there stuff they get! I would prefer to see a carved tiki by Leroy! or if Bob would eva come out of that office and grab a chizle would be a treat too!! but even if it was a cheezy bar I would still have to go check it out a few times fo some pupus and fo suck'em upz. I wouldn't be there fo da carribean music or to see da parrot sitting on the pirots arm but to test my OA skillz and quess what came from that inspiring(sp?)shop.

C

OK - so I know this is a very old topic, but I HAD to post this picture of a good Tiki gone BAD - eyeshadow?????

YIKES!!!

When I was there last month, it did not appear that Kokomo's was doing well - place was dead & they had closed their gift shop. Food was actually quite good, though & the drinks were OK (not great).

I wonder if makeup can be removed from tikis - hmmmmmm.....

T

Actually the person that did that to that tiki should be made to wear the same and walk the city streets in disgrace.

S
SES posted on Fri, Aug 13, 2004 5:59 PM

It's Tammy Faye Tiki!

:wink:

Dennis Rodman??

On 2003-11-13 22:16, thechikitiki wrote:

My Italian's (very) rusty, but doesn't that mean "The View of the Basement?"

Pages: 1 14 replies