Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Nightmare is a reality....

Pages: 1 22 replies

P

I think we need to plan a gathering there (should it survive the winter), and everybody puke all over the tourists at a certain moment. I'm sure we could decapitate this horrific Tiki-less abomination. Tiki Terrorism.

Buffett's an opportunist/liar anyway - everybody I talked to in Harbour Island, aka "Bri'land", had never heard of him and thought I was insane for mentioning a "Cheesburger in Paradise" when they had incredible "Scorched Conch" at nearly every corner.

mmmmmm - scorched cawwwnk.

FLASH MOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

K

I know you all hate Jimmy Buffet, but I do like him. The thought of these two together doesn't make since to me however.

Anyhow I have month old tomato soup in my fridge so I'm in on puking on the tourist. It's always kind of been a past time anyhow.

KK

"you all hate Jimmy Buffet, but I just love listening to "A pirate looks at 40" whilst painting Moai"

AND to THINK I shook your hand and NEARLY bought something from you at Hukilau®...
:P

MAAAAYBE (she said, crossing her fingers, knowing it was probably futile) - maybe it is parrotheaded in title only? Maybe when it says that it plays Polynesian music for that weekly special event, it really will?

A girl can hope, can't she?

Not with a limbo contest, doll.

Like I've said before.... I hate City Walk and Disney's Pleasure Island. They have been perpetual obstacles to zerolando developing and supporting its own independent night clubs.
I have it on good authority, however, that a new and completely independent tiki bar may be in the offing here, but its premature to say for certain.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-14 09:58 ]

E

On 2003-11-14 08:42, FLOUNDERart wrote:
I know you all hate Jimmy Buffet, but I do like him.

What's yer address Flounder, Im'a send you a whack of Latin, jazz and funk. Burn those Buffet disks, save your ears before it's too late!

making the world safe for music and musicians,
em.

Emspace/Rattiki,

Have you seen this documentary on Cuban music at the Palladium Ballroom in New York?

I caught the end of it the other night on the Discovery Channel (I think). It looked really good and I'm sorry I missed the entire program.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-14 10:59 ]

*On 2003-11-14 09:47, Basement Kahuna wrote:*Not with a limbo contest, doll.
Damn thee! Damn thee to HELL, BK, for crushing my dreams!!!!!!!!!

Actually I love Jimmy Buffet! He's the only music worth listening to. That Cheeseburger in Paradise is pure brilliance. Blows Denny away!

On 2003-11-14 13:14, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Actually I love Jimmy Buffet! He's the only music worth listening to. That Cheeseburger in Paradise is pure brilliance. Blows Denny away!

"I like mine w/ lettuce & tomato
Heinz 57 & french fried potatoes"

yes, flounder, it difficult to find such a poetic genius as jimmy.

why don't we git drunk & screw,
tiki chris

ah, I think FLOUNDERart was just kidding there...

(someone had to take over the humor now that I'm gone)

On 2003-11-14 13:46, Tiki_Bong wrote:
ah, I think FLOUNDERart was just kidding there...

never would have guessed. thanks for the insight!

searchin' for my lost shaker of salt,
tiki chris

Tiki Chris knows the words.

On 2003-11-14 14:04, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Tiki Chris knows the words.

you try growing up in chickamauga, georgia & not knowing the words to some buffet!

some people claim that there's a woman to blame ...

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-11-14 14:12 ]

E

On 2003-11-14 13:14, FLOUNDERart wrote:

You bugger!

:),
em

E

On 2003-11-14 10:57, Kailuageoff wrote:
Emspace/Rattiki,

Have you seen this documentary on Cuban music at the Palladium Ballroom in New York?

I caught the end of it the other night on the Discovery Channel (I think). It looked really good and I'm sorry I missed the entire program.
KG
[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-14 10:59 ]

Yikes! the problem here is that Canadian Discovery Channel is somehow related to TLC, you know: "World's Greatest Cop Disembowelments" and stuff like that. We don't get the same programming AT ALL.

Which sucks.

em.

There is another problem with this scenario. In order to combat the Buffet style "tiki" popularity, tiki as we know and love it (pure tiki, the 50s polynesian pop variety) would have to go majorly mainstream. Everyone (inc. mullet heads, soccer moms in giant SUVs who are on the phone and the idiots I work with at my job) would have to know tiki and accept it. Only then would the Buffet version be understood as faux. But most of us would cry if tiki were accepted and corrupted by the mainstream types many of us dislike. Although I cringe at the Buffet style tiki corruption, I fear the mainstream corruption more.
Although if tiki hadnt been mainstream a long time ago none of us would be into it today or out finding moai at yard sales etc. Its like a double edged sword.

R

On 2003-11-14 14:37, TikiGoddess wrote:
There is another problem with this scenario. In order to combat the Buffet style "tiki" popularity, tiki as we know and love it (pure tiki, the 50s polynesian pop variety) would have to go majorly mainstream. Everyone (inc. mullet heads, soccer moms in giant SUVs who are on the phone and the idiots I work with at my job) would have to know tiki and accept it. Only then would the Buffet version be understood as faux. But most of us would cry if tiki were accepted and corrupted by the mainstream types many of us dislike. Although I cringe at the Buffet style tiki corruption, I fear the mainstream corruption more.
Although if tiki hadnt been mainstream a long time ago none of us would be into it today or out finding moai at yard sales etc. Its like a double edged sword.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

E

This is so true. Buffet helps distract the mainstream AWAY from real Tiki...which is a GOOD thing.

em

Pages: 1 22 replies