Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Kiss Goodwill Goodbye

Pages: 1 22 replies

The revolt has begun...the antique ninny spies at Goodwill are onto tiki... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3253700317&category=29460

E

I'm sending them a message...they will feel the wrath of emspace.

em

S

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's a tiki line-up . "turn to the right " "You with the bad skin, step foward." This and a cavity search too. Hijo Lei.(spanish pidgeon)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Goodwill and Sal Army have both fallen from the purer faith. Even St. Vincent de Paul (regional?) has 'Targetfied' their establishments. I was geezin to the wahine when we visitied my old college haunts recently.

(Dana Carvey voice) "I'm an old man!"

Shit!

On 2003-11-14 13:23, FLOUNDERart wrote:
Shit!

truer words were never spoken.

AARRGGHH! I am so saddened by this.
The only way to combat this is to stand outside the goodwill box and ask people what they are donatign before they toss it in the box! Or drive by the store in the middle of the nite and see what people left by the door after hours. I once saw an amazing driftwood 1950s lamp and briefly thought of taking it. Then I decided it would be way too pathetic to steal from a thrift shop! So I went there the next day and asked about it and they had no idea what I was talking about.

It's a commy plot!

K
Kono posted on Fri, Nov 14, 2003 7:05 PM

You guys know Goodwill's had their own auction site for some time?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/

There's something shady about that site though. Items seem to usually go for far more than they would on ebay or in the stores. I sometimes get of a conspiratorial mindset and think Goodwill employees go in and try to jack the price up. Bookmark a few items and watch them. See if they don't go for a lot more than you'd expect. Or maybe I'm just crazy... :D

My wife is an ebayer and we noticed the same thing.

I had no idea Goodwill was running their own auction site. I just checked out their household goods section, and they are selling a crystal bowl from Tiffany's. Who on earth is donating anything from Tiffany's to the thrift store??? Ivana Trump's cast offs?
Regardless, their stuff does seem a bit pricey all things considered.

E

Oh no! I am not, NOT going to be checking out their auction site! This has gone far enuff!

argh,
em.

T

I know a guy who found a Stueben vase at the local Goodwill worh a couple grand. Picked it up on his lunch hour. Damn, why doesn't that happen to me?

Oh yeah, cause I don't know what a Steuben Vase looks like! hahah

Holy Rollers! Now I've seen it all. I wonder how much of the proceeds go to charity and how much go to TV Evangelist that runs the show?!?

[ Edited by: monkeypaw on 2003-11-15 14:49 ]

I always thought it would be a good idea to work there as a pricer and get first dibs on the great stuff. But then I realized I would have to "work" there. I do not know about goodwill but Value Village has some pretty scary staff over here! The staff can pick out the clothes first and yet they dress themselves like crap.

I believe that 5 piercings is the minimum requirement for employment at the Value Villages here.

Body odor and a lack of teeth is a pre-requisite for employment at the thrift shops in my area of Philadelphia.

T

Did you ever notice, or is it just a Toronto thing, that every time I am in a Value Village or Goodwill, there is no one in the store, but the line up at the cash is 8 deep? What is going on there?

K

On 2003-11-17 20:43, tikifish wrote:
there is no one in the store, but the line up at the cash is 8 deep? What is going on there?

Probably the same thing that was going on in the so-called nail salon nextdoor to my old office. Not too many ladies getting manicures, but some extremely scary looking guys hanging out & driving cars so fancy & expensive - I don't even know what kind of cars they were.

And always with the food offerings left on the sidewalk in front of the salon. Was it a religious thing, or some kind of code?

J

On 2003-11-17 20:43, tikifish wrote:
Did you ever notice, or is it just a Toronto thing, that every time I am in a Value Village or Goodwill, there is no one in the store, but the line up at the cash is 8 deep? What is going on there?

I've noticed the same thing here in Maryland! I often stop by the Goodwill on the way to work with only minutes to spare and it never fails that the later I am the longer the line! On days like that I kind of hope that I don't find anything worth buying so I don't have to wait forever! And whenever you have a single item in your hands you always have to wait behind the smelly woman with a cart full of crap, all of which needs to be wrapped individually or is missing the black magic marker price on the bottom. I got so pissed on one such occassion when I had a single pilsner glass in my hand and I got into one of those races to the register...where you hope to beat the person with the bulging cart...as you can imagine she beat me and in the time it took the stinky lady and the idiot goth chick behind the counter to start unloading the shopping cart I could have paid my $.53 and been on my way. I tried desperately to make eye contact with the girl behind the counter hoping she would move me ahead and jingled the change in my hand to get her attention. In the meantime the lady starts pulling out something without a price on it, "how much is this? It don't got no price on it?" As the clerk turns to see if anyone can find a price for the plastic dinnerware she makes eye contact with me, I partially raise the glass indicating 'let me go first and I'll be out of your hair.' The girl ignores me and goes back to helping the friggin
"bag lady." I immediately raised the glass a little bit higher and smashed it on the floor. "Oops," I said and walked out.

LOVE your "oops", Johntiki! Sometimes, it just has to be done!!

Are you joining us at The Honolulu on Thanksgiving Friday? I can't remember whom all ikitnrev said responded on the DC/VA/Maryland board, but I hope you can come!

Pages: 1 22 replies