Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Found: Mug from Trade Winds, Oxnard, Calif.

Pages: 1 7 replies

This won't be a big deal to most of you, but it is to me because it is next to impossible to find tiki stuff at thrift stores in Santa Barbara. Anyway, I just found a mug from a place I never new had existed until today. By searching the Tiki Central archives, I found the Trade Winds used to be next to the Wagon Wheel Hotel (I am not sure what is there now). The mug is just one of those three-faced, generic tiki mugs, but I still think it's way cool b/c: it is one of only three tiki mugs I found in a thrift store (and the ONLY vintage mug of the three); it is from a place that was only 45 minutes from my house; and because it was only four bucks.

Someone said they had a menu from Trade Winds. Anyone have any pictures they can post or any new information about the place? I would be very interested to hear more. Now if you excuse me, I am going to pour something with rum in this mug to break it in.

Hi Rick!

Here's the link to a Trade Winds menu I just purchased on E-bay. It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I'll try to post some larger pictures for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2201592762

Sabu

T

Oh bruddah rick, going good i see. I went to Oceanic Arts for the first time last week and got to talk to LeRoy and Bob. They are the coolest guys in the world! LeRoy was telling me about all the 805 spots, since he found out I was from Ventura. Lerory and Bob outfitted the Trade Winds when it opened. The only thing left of it are the 5 story tall palms. congrats

Aloha friends of the 805.....here are pix of a matchbook.....

Nice menu Sabu......TikiTony, would be great if Bob & Leroy had pictures of all their installations.....I'd love to see a pic of this place........Trader Rick, post a pic of the mug please..........Mahalo....

Wow! Nice work, everyone! I will borrow my step-mom's digital camera and take a picture of the mug (not much to look at, really, but is definitely a tiki mug). Incidentally, b/c this mug is so short and wide, I have decided to use it as a planter. Was this a mistake? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, just thought it would make a great planter.

Also, anyone have an actual street address for Trade Winds? Someone should post something in the Locating Tiki section.

(BTW, sorry my posts are so infrequent these days. Not a lot of time lately, I'm afraid.)

planter idea might not work so well, with some plants, because most plants need drainage. Unless you're just sliding a plastic potted plant into the mug, which always works. I'm all bass ackwards with my wording, sorry.

My roommate is very good with plants and she says all you need to do to turn a mug into a planter is fill the bottom with rocks or woodchips. Then, water the plant less frequently than you would in a conventional planter. This seems to be working okay. My main concern was for the mug, however, not the plant.

DZ

A PLANTER!! :o

Actually, that is/was a common use for 3-face mugs. 3-face mugs are the centerpiece of my collection (I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for MY Trade Winds mug...), and I've got quite a few with "tide lines" inside from where the water for the plant slowly evaporated.

Just don't go drilling a drainage hole in it or anything...

("just one of those 3 faced, generic tiki mugs..."?? Harumph!!)

Pages: 1 7 replies