Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Swedish Rock Bands of the 1970's

Pages: 1 13 replies

In case any of you are wondering why Abba became so popular, but not any of the other Swedish bands from the 70's.

http://www.nyheter.nu/kultur/

Vern

Ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka

K
Klas posted on Sun, Nov 16, 2003 1:19 PM

LOL :D These kind of bands pictured wasn't any kind of rock bands but rather so called "dance bands" performing for mature audiences at dance halls in the country side.

Oddly enough, the biggest bands coming out of Sweden these days are Death Metal bands...

That's dead sexy.

Also please note the combover in the Cool Candys photo...that is definitely an area of concern.

K
Klas posted on Mon, Nov 17, 2003 3:33 AM

On 2003-11-16 18:13, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Oddly enough, the biggest bands coming out of Sweden these days are Death Metal bands...

What about bands like The Hives and The Cardigans? Doesn't sound too much like Death Metal to me :D

Klas,

I was wondering, is there an original 'Swedish' pop/rock sound, or is all the music coming out of Sweden, their take on American music?

This is just brilliant! Thanks, Vern for posting this Scandi-Mania! Focus on the guy standing in the middle of the group Garvis and say in your best Seinfeld, "Hello, Newman." By the way, my money's on Gert Jonnys.

-Weird Uncle Tiki

M

I have a CD be Swedish metal goddesses Drain STH. Check 'em out. Four hotties pumping out...evil...pure evil.

Actually, it's only so-so.

K
Klas posted on Tue, Nov 18, 2003 7:24 AM

On 2003-11-17 09:11, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Klas,

I was wondering, is there an original 'Swedish' pop/rock sound, or is all the music coming out of Sweden, their take on American music?

I think some bands (e.g. Cardigans) have (or used to have) a sound that could be called "Swedish" but most acts coming out of Sweden are very influenced by British or North American music.

I think in order for something to be successful in the "Western" world it has to sound like US or British stuff. Not to offend the brits, but even what is called British, is usually something the British took from the States, modified it a bit and cleverly "sold" it back to the Americans as "British". See "Punk" for example.

BTW -Klas - are Turbo Negro from Sweden or Norway? (I'm thinking Norway, since the Euroboys were from Norway, too)

Ran

K
Klas posted on Tue, Nov 18, 2003 8:38 AM

Yep, they're from Norway

Now I know what my cousin, Bob, was doing in the 70's!

I wonder if he kept the snazzy outfit?

Pages: 1 13 replies