Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Welcome to the HUKILAU 2002 Forum!

Pages: 1 33 replies

At Kahukini's request this forum has been created for help in planning and organizing this incredible Tiki Event! This is the place to come for the latest information on this developing Tiki shindig!

Post questions, suggestions, information, RSVPs, and anything Atlanta Tiki related here!

~Hanford

K

http://HUKILAU.INFO is the event news and info website. As people send in their RSVP's we'll post names on the site so you can see who's coming.

The site will feature the schedule of events and sundry other details such as directions, FAQ answers and cheaper places to stay than the Hilton (and that are still closeby).

What's on that schedule will mainly be decided right here in this forum. Let's make the HUKILAU a shockingly good time, with a twist of lime!

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 5, 2002 6:52 AM

Kiliki and I will be there of course. We are going to an event in June in Indy and we will promote the event there, as well as spread word in Nashville with our friends of the right slant. We have a number of friends in Atlanta that will definitely attend. I'd say we could get a dozen just with that. Hopefully we can manage a lot more to draw people into our Hukilau net.

After reading through some of the posts, I think we are going to have a good old time. Like I said in a previous post, I am willing to meet up at TV's towards the end of April (I think the 27th was mentioned) and discuss some plans if you like.

There has also been talk of hitting another bar or two (either before or after TV's), and although in theory that would be fantastic, I don't know how feasible it would be. There just isn't much Polynesia in the city. There are plenty of things to do, it's just a matter of figuring out what's there and what kind of atmosphere we are looking for. I go to school at Georgia State University and have scoured the streets around it for polynesia, with no luck. I will continue to keep my ears open and see if there is anything new around, but if a few of us could meet before the get together, we might be able to hammer out a definate plan. I'll also talk to my friend Paul, who is the resident expert on Tiki in these parts if he has any ideas in addition to TV's. He also knows the manager at TV's and interviewed him for a documentary he was doing on all things tiki and maybe he could score us a deal somehow. I'll keep everyone posted.

Matt

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 5, 2002 8:36 AM

It's true there isn't another Polynesian hangout, but there are places we could go and be more "at home" than others. We have in mind places owned by tiki-philes. It would be nice to have exotica playing. There are good options for a second locale.

The thing to remember is how early Trader Vic's closes. I don't think we want this to end at 10PM. And if people are going to be in town Friday night, we should have some place or places planned to meet up. Sunday too.

What we hope to do is have at least one other club we can hang out at. Some places to meet for food all three days, and hopefully some entertainment. That's where numbers come into play. If there is any cost, the more we can split it, the better. Hopefully, some of the contacts we have in Atlanta can help us get set up in a club and Dj the music we want, at least for a few hours, maybe even a stage show of hula and exotica dancers.

We can hope. Kiliki is the real key to all this. She knows a lot of people in Atlanta who have influence.

K

Trader Vic's is staying open as late as we want them too! I spoke to the manager last night. They'll do whatever we want them to, they specialize in special events. Let's think of something to do in the late afternoon (and other parts of the day) on Saturday that doesn't involve drinking - at TV's we'll have live entertainment, food, and drinks... it'll be an all night affair maybe starting at 9 ... sound good? Kiliki and I brainstormed lotsa "pie in the sky" but actually feasable ideas for this thing - remember the sky's the limit when it's just an idea folks. Right now I'm seeing about the possiblity of Shag having his first art showing in Atlanta for this event. The openening Friday afternoon would also serve as the start of HUKILAU... Friday night is so far scheduled to be "swank lounge night" with swanky and kiliki conducting the tour...

K

The tour of Atlanta's swankest lounges could end with the club stop you are describing - although maybe the show there should be the burlesque idea.. I'd like to save the hula show for TV's.
TV's is letting us have the run of the place and one option there is having the show "one the street" in front of the TV's entrance... They are also cool a DJ performing... (They would be cool with creating a dance floor or anything - they will do WHATEVER we want so long as we spend a certain level of money - a level I think is doable easily with projected attendance)

K

By the way guys I've set up a meeting with the manager on this for you on the 27th.. his name is "Manzor" - just call a couple of days before hand to remind them.

Marian and I plan to go. If anyone from Florida needs a ride or wants to caravan, let us know via e-mail. We'll probably leave here Friday a.m. and leave Atlanta Sunday a.m.

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 5, 2002 2:46 PM

Torchy Taboo's show is only marginally nude. There's lots of fire and just a sort of jungle dance thing. It might be that she has a place she can perform or that she will do her performance at the Star Bar or where ever we are.

This is just my humble opinion, but I kind of just wanted to go to Atlanta T.V.'s and experience it with some other tikiphiles. Conversation and drinks sound great to me. Good exotica music would be nice too. All the other stuff isn't as necessary, so don't make this too hard on yourselves. Also, I thought WeirdUncletiki said he could be there on the 20th. What date are we working on? Thanks to all who are working to make this happen!

K

that's definitely the main purpose of the event, for tikiphiles to get together at tv's on saturday night the 20th... but i think the push so far has been to get as many of us there as possible.. all the other stuff is to make it worth traveling to atlanta ... a regular tiki convention

S

Ok everyone,

Torchy Taboo is now confirmed to perform for our gala on Saturday night at Trader Vic's. She promises lots of Exotica and has asked Swanky and I for some music ideas.

So here's your chance to enter your suggestions!! Post an exotica, hawaiian or tribal song that you think would work. But hurry! She's got to get her routines down.
We'll try to post some photos. She performed at Baby Doe's event last year Tease-O-Rama!

Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

M
mig posted on Wed, Apr 17, 2002 6:09 PM

Torchy! I love her! I had a suspicion that's who you were talking about. I may need to get my butt out there. Sheesh, too many trips, too little time.

Uhhh... Is this really what it looks like?

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/dining_detail.jhtml?ctyhocn=ATLAHHH&index=6

Please say it ain't so! I have a feeling not! Still looking forward to seeing you all in Atlanta.

-Weird Unc

Have no fear, wierdunkletiki, the Atlanta Trader Vics does NOT look like that picture at all! It is really excellent -- much better than the Beverly Hills TV, in my opinion. I was there 2 weeks ago and dragged some friends - we all had a great time. In fact, they convinced us to come back for Hukilau (not a lot of arm twisting needed.

BTW, is there an "official" hotel or anything like that for out of towners? I was thinking of booking a room at the Atlanta Hilton just to be near TV.

Last time I was there, I tried to order a Dr. Funk of Tahiti, but the waiter turned me off by saying some people really don't like it. What's the consensus on this drink?

-Mike

Whew! Glad to hear Trader Vic's has not gone "bright-mediterranean." As for the Dr. Funk of Tahiti, as provocatively enticing as its title is, it's not one of my favorite drinks there. That's not to say I dislike it, it's just a bit, well... funky.
For a complex taste sensation, try a Tortuga and expect the unexpected! It's the perfect cold-frosty drink to warm you up on a winters night.(?!)

-Weird Uncle Tiki

T

That pic looks like some stock photo they used - how lazy! I bet the Hilton corporation made the decision to use that.

Re: Dr. Funk of Tahiti

It's a very tasty drink when made right and has a great name to boot! Here's the recipe:

2 1/2 ounces dark Jamaican rum (Myers's)
1/4 ounce Pernod
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1/4 grenadine
Juice of 1 fresh lime
1/4 teaspoon sugar (or sugar syrup)
Club soda
Shake all ingredients (except club soda) well over crushed ice. Pour into a tall (stovepipe) collins glass. Garnish with fruit.

I think what people might not like is the Pernod flavor but if measured correctly should be very subtle. When I was at Taboo Cove I ordered a drink that normally contains a teaspoon of Pernod (I forget which drink right now) and the bartender left it out. I asked if she could make it with the Pernod. She claimed people complained about the flavor before and she proceeded to pour a healthy amount (about an ounce) of Pernod in my drink! Blecch! No wonder people complained.

I would have politely asked the waiter to bring the drink anyway so I could make up my own mind whether I liked it or not.

A trivial thing that I have been wondering about for a long time, especially while drunk:
What's up with the poor grammar on Myers's rum (the double possessive "s")? Was this an error that was just left on there because nobody noticed it and it became a tradition?

S

Hey, go to the "Day 2 Events" folder here and look at the link I posted there. It has a great 360 degree view of the inside of Trader Vic's Atlanta. You can see several tikis and the real decor of the place. And that's just one of the larger rooms!

M
mig posted on Wed, May 15, 2002 5:27 PM

Can we have a little "organizer's roll call" here? I can't keep straight who is spearheading this thing. Kiliki? Kahukini? Kahukiliki? Swanky? How does everyone know each other? (i.e. who is who's friend, boyfriend, wife, business partner, etc...) who has what roles in putting on the Hukilau?

kiliki and swanky live in knoxville and are sittin in a tree, i'm in birmingham. they used to live in atlanta and have friends there helping out. my fiance lived there until recently when she moved in w/ me. we're "the hukilau menehunes" and are doing are best to implement our brainstorming, keeping in contact via email and phone.

S

Yes, Kiliki and I are cohabitating in Knoxville, TN. We have our operatives in Atlanta who are helping, but thank god for email.

I have a distinct fear that after this is over, I will hate lounge music and exotica. After the hours of recording vinyl exotica to CD, I am about sick of these songs!

But things are on track. We plan to get everything from original art to buffet/no buffet, etc. at Trader Vic's, in the next week or so.

We should have the web site revamped in a couple of weeks with info about everything going on. Check out the Penetrator's site now to hear some of their music. We also have some pictures of the giant tikis at the entrance to Trader Vic's.

We have lined up a feature in Atlanta's Creative Loafing for the event that will get us a lot of attention locally.

Kiliki and I have a bit of web presence at The Swank Pad You can go there to find my Lounge/Exotica/other Internet broadcast and her Rockabilly/classic country/other broadcast. I have added an all exotica playlest to mine for this event. It plays once a day usually. That's usually in the evening.

Kiliki deserves a lot of the credit in this. She's done a lot.

Thanks to my Swanky for the compliment!

I know I don't post very much - that's due to a 50 hour a week job and a very busy life. Swanky gets to play online all day and I'm so jealous.

We are planning an incredible event. I hope all that can does attend. Friday evening is pretty well set at this point. All the entertainment is complete and we're waiting on confirmation on one more band that will open up for the Penetrators.

Saturday night at Trader Vic's is almost set as well. As Swanky said, we are still working out the details with the Management and their Corporate Offices.

Torchy Taboo will perform one number on Friday night just to tease the crowd for Saturday night where she will do 4 performances. If any of you caught her performance at Tease-o-rama last year, you know you're in for a treat. She will also perform with a fire-eater!!

Stay tuned, we have lots of surprises up our sleeves and I'm still working on Sunday night!

Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

We're also teaming up with the Starlight Drive-In tieing in Sunday night and bringing you 2 classic movies on the big screen.

Here's the link: http://www.starlightdrivein.com/events.html

S

There are some more pictures of Kiliki at Trader Vic's HERE

T

Ring-a-ding-ding! If those photos don't entice people to go then I don't know what will. Sadly, I won't be able to make it. Damn!

T

I will be making a safari from Charleston to the Hukilau. So has anyone agreed on a common hotel/motel site? Are people going with the Hilton?

My sister lives a little south of Atlanta and we could stay with her, but if a central hotel is available, with other Tiki Centralites, we will stay there.

K

Hey tiki bob, we got your email note, and you'll be pleased to learn King Kukulele just confirmed... he'll be with us all weekend. So will Sven!

Everything in Atlanta is pretty much connected by a maze of highways that crisscross the city, and along them are every chain motel and hotel imaginable... nothing is really closer to anything imho - it still takes 20-30 mintues to get anywhere no matter where you are going (or how close you are!) we're still looking into the possibility of discounts at the Hilton and/or Marriot downtown, but my bet is better deals will still be had elsewhere, so it will be hard to get people to stay at the same place when there are so many varied economical options unlike the situation in palm springs apparently, so we probably won't try to do that... but we'll let you know, and everything is posted on http://www.hukilau.info as soon as we know it. Anyone going should go ahead and make a reservation somewhere though. Pick a brand name motel/hotel and call 'em up. See you in Hotlanta!

S

If you stay reasonbly close to the Hilton, anywhere else will be reasonably close too. After rush hour Friday afternoon, the Interstate takes you quickly to the Hilton and Trader Vic's.

T

Thanks for the hotel info. I agree on the hotel situation - that everything can be kind of close. My sister has lived in Atlanta since the early 70's and I have spent tons of time there (especially when I was living in Birmingham for 4 years doing my training). I used to get to Atlanta at least once a month.

The Vic's in Atlanta is very nice. It should be a great place to have the Sat night function.

We are trying to decide if we want to stay at the Hilton or with my sister and her family (which live near Peachtree City - about 40 minutes south of downtown).

The Hilton will not be like the Caliente Tropics in that you can walk out of your room and see EVERYTHING that is going on with the group. Still, if we can get a hand full of Centralites all on the same floor that will lend to spontanous gatherings like happened in Palm Springs.

Please keep me informed as to the progress of group rates/room blocks.

Thanks,

TB

S

And, being in the Hilton will allow you to spend more time just hanging out at Trader Vic's aside from the event.

it's nice to be there when it's quiet. But then, I have nevr been there when it was packed. Or any other tiki bar. That'll be new to me.

I think we may have well over our first 150 person estimate. We may get over 300. That would be great. Then, if we have lots of folks there at 11, we can move over to the bar area and have the joint to ourselves. No volume restrictions or anything.

S

The posters and flyers for Hukilau 2002 are going up this weekend. If anyone wants to see them, or maybe even print one or more of your own here's the link Feel free to put them up in your town at your most prominent places, or in your home tiki bar.

There will be a full color art poster available at the event and maybe a bit sooner from Drowning Creek. This is not that one. This is the informational, promotional one.

Pages: 1 33 replies